Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: just upgraded my esc/motor and big issues!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default just upgraded my esc/motor and big issues!!!

im redoing my scx scaler and removed my vxl system becuz of the lack of drag brake...
i installed a brand new mmp, balistic 13.5t and new 4s lipo!!
im still running the same hobbico 333oz servo and spectrum rx/tx

i wire everything up, tune the mmp(internal bec set at 6v), bind, plug in my esc, servo and servo winch, tune it on and shit!! the system starts goin nuts. the esc is freaking, the servo winch is stretching my cable and the steering is twitching.
i unplugged everything and narrowed it down to everything works 100% untill i plug in my steering servo into the rx.
the truck moves flawlessly, the winch works great and my nvs works as usual. i plug in a old hitec 225 servo i had sitting around and it works fine!!!
so whats my next move? ccbec? (didnt need one with the vxl setup. no issues at all, but ran 3s) new steering servo??

heres the kicker, i take the hobbico servo out and plug it into my other scaler and it works fine!!!???

lost guys any ideas? really bumbed i just dropped $200+ on a simple electronics swap and cant even run my rig..
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

is the servo rated at 4s
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

no but my internal bec is set at 6v so isnt that what im feeding my rx and in turn my steering servo and servo winch?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

did you program the esc when you installed in truck. I don;t mean programmed with castle link but with your radio.
do you have sensor wire hooked to esc and motor. i think by default mmp esc are set to sensorless mode. might want to hook it up to computer and check that setting
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've tuned it through the castle link, set to sensored only, set to auto lipo cutoff and 6v internal bec. Then tuned to my dx3r.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That servo draws to much amps for the built in BEC, the CC BEC should solve your problem.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
That servo draws to much amps for the built in BEC, the CC BEC should solve your problem.
YEP
I must have misread the first post, i thought it said something about bec..but now I see internal bec.
CC BEC solves all problems once again. Castle creations must sell a sh$t ton of those things
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ok. Thanx for the help. Any reason y I had 0 issues with the vxl system? With no ccbec! Puzzling me.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrigcustoms View Post
Ok. Thanx for the help. Any reason y I had 0 issues with the vxl system? With no ccbec! Puzzling me.
I don't know why it would work with your VXL without a ccbec, but it sounds like the vxl just may have a better internal bec, or at least one that works. It's not the first time I've heard of people having problems with the mmp bec. I have one, but haven't installed it yet in my 10sc. I'm hoping I don't have the same problems. I DID have the same kind of issue as you describe when plugging a high torque servo in with my tekin rebel 2, and it had worked just fine with a lesser servo. Sounds like you need an external bec. You won't regret it anyway.
marvinbeaverdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I would be interested to see what the Hobbico servo draws (amps) at idle, or if it shooting some nasty EMI through the system. You may have a bad servo that freaks out the digital regulator or RX.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

That's what puzzles me! I plug the servo into my other scaler. (Mamba max,7t puller,losi 2.4rx, and 3s) and have no issues it works fine.. not sure what's goin on, bit a bec is definitely a plus with the servo winch and steering servo so ill b purchasing one of those tomorrow at lhs. As for the servo I purchased a used 5955 here and its on its way so when that arrives well really see what's goin on. Just a bumber, I sent a lot of $ and thought this would b a simple swap-out! Not.
Asfor running the ccbec, should I turn off the internal bec on the mmp or just unplug the red wire goin to the rx?
I usually just run my bec's direct soldered to.the esc side of the battery connection, plug them into the rx and remove the red wire goin to the rx from the esc. Sound right? No problems yet.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

ok so i got a ccbec today. acouple ?s
im running a axial nvs system on this rig so should i pull the red wire out of the esc wires goin to the nvs and the red wire out of the nvs goin to the rx? (inorder to get the lights to work this is how u have to hook up the wires, so the nvs says)
can i just turn off the internal bec with the castle link? im at work and was hoping to know these things before i ge out later and go to rip into the rig. thanx.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
RCC Addict

You can pull the ESC red wire and plug the BEC direct into the rx, however it sounds like your rx has a lot plugged in. Might be better for you to get a y harness and only power the steering servo from the BEC.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

ive got my steering servo, esc and servo winch into the rx. u just gotta run the servo and esc into the nvs box then the servo and esc wires out of the box into the rx. the nvs is inbetween, if u know what i mean. wasnt sure if i should pull the red wire out of the esc and b fine or if it was gonna get power from the nvs and pull that red wire too. sorry if im confusing it.