Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd 4 channel controller???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rc4wd 4 channel controller???

Im lookin into upgrading my controller and was lookin at the rc4wd 4 channel one and was wondering if u guys can tell me if its any good.
Thanx for ur help....
Eric Layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

some are not to happy with the rc4wd 4 channel control, I think have to do with something of the dead center for the steering, I got one for my honcho and work ok, for the winch I use the 4 channel and is a 2 position switch so one way is up and the other is down, 3 channel is for future light on off, I dont now how it works for a crawler, is uses 4 batteries, and I dont think so is compatible with other recivers, hope this help in some way.
Dfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

so for the most part its a good controller just the steering dead center is messed up?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

for my use is ok
Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the dead band is on the throttle on mine, and its not that bad, just have to get use to it, or send it in and they can fix it...or so I'm told...and the steering is fine..as for the rest of the radio, I have no problems with it

as far as the receivers not working with other radios...so, a new one is only 30 bucks...compared to a spectrum
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Sweet thanks guys for ur help..
Old 01-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I love my XR4. Not a bad radio for the price, compared to some of these spectrum jobs it is a no brainer. And like said before the receivers are cheap (price wise). Multi model memory, 4 channels, 2 three way switches and cheap receivers. Only bad thing is that the 3 and 4 channel don't have end points. But I don't need any with a punk dig.

NoW tho I love mine, here is an issue. Maybe someone who has this radio can help me out. But for my steering to work properly I have to reverse it. Then 5 minutes into my run, sometimes less it switches back and my steering is backwards. Am I missing something in my setup that locks this in so it doesn't switch back?
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

But for my steering to work properly I have to reverse it. Then 5 minutes into my run, sometimes less it switches back and my steering is backwards. Am I missing something in my setup that locks this in so it doesn't switch back?

Have you called/tried to get in contact w/RC4WD?? I started to go w/this radio and I didn't. Not sure if I made a wise decision on my end?
sabohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
I love my XR4. Not a bad radio for the price, compared to some of these spectrum jobs it is a no brainer. And like said before the receivers are cheap (price wise). Multi model memory, 4 channels, 2 three way switches and cheap receivers. Only bad thing is that the 3 and 4 channel don't have end points. But I don't need any with a punk dig.

NoW tho I love mine, here is an issue. Maybe someone who has this radio can help me out. But for my steering to work properly I have to reverse it. Then 5 minutes into my run, sometimes less it switches back and my steering is backwards. Am I missing something in my setup that locks this in so it doesn't switch back?

call rc4wd of goo to the forums of rc4wd and star to raise hell there so you can get some support lol, but call them my work ok no problems
Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:

X2.....I really did like my XR4 but I needed a radio capable of doing mixing so I sold it to get the Futaba 4PL. The erginomics of the radio are great, it fit my hand really well.

I never once had one single problem with my radio & I was using it with a Mamba Max Pro/Punk Dig setup.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
e-mail RC4WD, I did on the deadband on my radio and they said return it and they will fix it. I havn't yet, but so far they have been a great company to work with on other items I had.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I got one before Christmas and overall it's quite good for the money. The features I was looking for are multiple model memories as I usually have 8 cars ready to go at any time, moving to 2.4 GHz, and the extra switches to control accessories on my scalers. I don't use it for my crawler, I have a twin stick for it so I can control the rear steer independently.

The only big issue I had with mine was a wide dead band on throttle and a narrow one on steering. My first one had almost no dead band in forward and lots towards reverse, I had to push back 1/5 of the travel before reverse on the ESC would engage. I contacted them with a detailed description of the issue and even made a video. The first person said this was not normal (but wasn't clear on what was normal) and I should return it, so I did. Another person received it and he said this IS normal and they couldn't do anything about it but they could send me a new one anyways. The dead band on the new one is not as bad as it's centered so there is less now on reverse.

They didn't offer to "fix" it even though I was clear I didn't want any dead band. If anyone else gets theirs fixed please let me know and I'll have a talk with them.

After 20 years of R/Cing with truly proportional radios (i.e. without dead bands) I find this annoying as I'm used to the sensitivity. Plus if you really want a dead band you can buy a programmable ESC or servo, or do it in a mechanical linkage. But the price was right especially since I wanted 4 extra RXs to start, and I'll live with it until I can afford a 4PL.

I too had issues with settings going back to default after a while, for me it was the steering trim. I think the solution is to always return to the main screen after changing a setting.

Last edited by YJ_Driver; 01-31-2011 at 10:09 AM.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote