Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I think i have another problem with my Novak equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default I think i have another problem with my Novak equipment

This is getting frustrating!

I just had thought i have finally gotten my rig to a point where it works great and i can enjoy it and stop messing with it. Took it out Saturday and wheeled for about 2 hours. Went through all my lipo packs without a glitch. Had a blast!

Sunday, went out again and halfway through the first pack, the rig just stops. I walk over to it and the ESC (Goat 3s with Ballistic 18.5 brushless) has a green light when i pull the trigger but it's not moving, red light when still which is normal. I get just a slight glitch as if it wants to go but it won't move! SO i thought maybe the battery pack was dead, so i swapped. Same thing. Then i tried to rebind the ESC to the receiver. Nope. Nothing.

I cant figure out what's up this time. It just refuses to go forward or reverse. The steering works fine, the dig works fine and the cooling fan on the ESC works. As soon as it stopped running i put my hands on the ESC and motor and neither were hot, just warm.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: i have tried to make sure the sensor wire is fully seated, and it appears to be. I have not completely removed it to test it but visually it looks fine. I do think that "could" possibly be the problem.

Last edited by concretejungle; 01-31-2011 at 08:58 AM.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You might want to check your sensor wires I had the same problem it ended up being a bad ESC when I called Novak they said it was a bad MOSFET in the ESC I sent it all back to Novak and bought a Tekin rs pro now I have no problems Novak has had too many problems with the goat 3s their ESC's are junk
flizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Wanna get? Gotta want.

What was the problem the first time around?
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
What was the problem the first time around?

The ratchety movement at low speed that Novak thinks is gear mesh, but i hadn't changed the gearmesh when it first started happening, plus i reset the gear mesh and it's still just the same. I think it's something with the motor.

So as most advised on the board, i just drove it. And now this
Old 01-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flizz View Post
You might want to check your sensor wires I had the same problem it ended up being a bad ESC when I called Novak they said it was a bad MOSFET in the ESC I sent it all back to Novak and bought a Tekin rs pro now I have no problems Novak has had too many problems with the goat 3s their ESC's are junk

I think i'm going to order a new sensor wire and if that's not it, i'm going to take it out and put it in a box and mail it back to Novak. Tell them to return it working or i want something else.....

Honestly part of the reason i like Novak is it's made in USA and i think that's important now-a-days.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

UPDATE: i did get a reply email from novak! They are getting much better about responses so I have to give them credit for that.

Anyways, they think there is an internal problem in the ESC. So looks like i'm shipping it to them and i'll report back with their results.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
The ratchety movement at low speed that Novak thinks is gear mesh, but i hadn't changed the gearmesh when it first started happening, plus i reset the gear mesh and it's still just the same. I think it's something with the motor.

So as most advised on the board, i just drove it. And now this
That's probably the effect of the 14mm rotor.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote