Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best 4 channel radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #1

Default Best 4 channel radio

I was looking for a pistol grip that I can run on my super.I did have one w/ the dx6 stick radio and did not like it.I would rather have a pistol grip radio that I can do front/rear digs and 4 wheel steer independently.Whats the best bang for the buck?And something that is gonna be fairly simple to operate.Thanks
jaybird1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

Check out the 4PL or 4PK if willing to spend more.
Plenty of info right in this section.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Got Worms?

I am going to be selling DIY radio kits, where you will build your own radio.

DIY 6ch Radio Kits

I also build custom radios.

Custom Built Radio: To fit your needs

Both of which can do what you need them to do, pm me if you need any more info
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
20K Club

Top drivers are basically all using Futaba product. The 4PK and 4PL. The 4PL was recently released and has everything you will need for your super. I also have detailed write-ups and videos on both radios.

There is a reason why they are the most popular
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I run my dual ESC front and rear steer super on my Nomadio React and am quite pleased with the setup.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I run my dual ESC front and rear steer super on my Nomadio React and am quite pleased with the setup.
Yup those work but limited availabilty, no support, and a company that doesn't exist anymore doesn't make it a very good choice any longer.

Effective November 1, 2009 Nomadio has permanently discontinued its RC Product Line.

Nomadio is sorry to inform its customers that it will no longer be providing production, distribution, support, software updates, or warranty repair for the Nomadio RC product line. This includes the Sensor and React Radios, as well as all receivers and accessories.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Yup those work but limited availabilty, no support, and a company that doesn't exist anymore doesn't make it a very good choice any longer.
Wow...it really bugs you that there are radios out there besides the Futaba stuff that work just as well at a fraction of the cost, doesn't it?

BTW, the React can be programmed via a computer, not staring at a tiny little screen....
Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Wow...it really bugs you that there are radios out there besides the Futaba stuff that work just as well at a fraction of the cost, doesn't it?

BTW, the React can be programmed via a computer, not staring at a tiny little screen....
For a new owner, why buy something that isn't supported anymore?

There are a few other 4 channel radios, but I don't think they have near the functions of the Futaba.

KO, no Dual ESC mixing but does have a 5 position 4th channel
Airtronics - Terrible ESC mixing, unfamiliar with how rear steer is programmed

Honestly if any 4 channel radio on the market had the functions then people would use them more. The Nomadia wasn't bad, but the company is gone.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For a new owner, why buy something that isn't supported anymore?
Because he wrote this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1ton View Post
Whats the best bang for the buck?
Did I happen to mention that the React sells for WAY less than any of the radios you mentioned? Did I also mentioned that the React can be bound to receivers of multiple manufacturers?

Quote:
The Nomadia wasn't bad, but the company is gone.
The company is still there....just not selling RC stuff anymore. BTW, I haven't had the need for them since I've been using this radio.....maybe that isnt the case with the Futaba stuff.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Got Worms?

Quote:

x2

Also, Harley, i'm interested to hear what you think a futaba can do that another radio system can't. I understand the beloved 4pl and 4pk are good radios, i have nothing bad to say about them other than the killing futaba is making off of them and their receivers.

Also if i do remember correctly, the question was for a a pistol grip that can do front/rear dig and 4 wheel steer independently. and from my limited knowledge about futaba products, neither the 4pl or 4pk can independently have rear steer.

But i do know i can custom build one, or put together a diy kit, that will allow independent 4ws. So unless you got something to say about my radios, i'm sure a custom built radio will suit the desires a little better.

and before you say it, yes i know there is no screen on my radio, but its not that hard to put one in just cost a little more money.

@jaybird1ton- Go with what ever suits your budget, 4pk, 4pl, 3pl, custom built radio, , diy radio, reac tor what ever suits your needs and/or wants. If you come across a radio you think might work just lmk and i will try to answer to the best of my ability , or point you in the right direction. I won't shove a brand name down your throat, they are all good radios, all have their goods and bads, none of them are the a king of radios. As for support, i'm sure rcc has plenty of support for all the radios, and for warranty, well harley does have a point but obviously your going to be buying a used radio if the company no longer sells them so you wouldn't have a warranty to begin with, and it obviously has no problems if the previous owner was using it for who knows how long.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Also if i do remember correctly, the question was for a a pistol grip that can do front/rear dig and 4 wheel steer independently. and from my limited knowledge about futaba products, neither the 4pl or 4pk can independently have rear steer.
Both do independent control for rear steer.

It's a matter of the availability, ease of use, dependability, market involvement, constant development, etc. I really don't care if people buy them, it's not like I am making royalties. Fact is that if they weren't the best then they wouldn't be in the hands of the best drivers. It's not like I am putting them in their hands.

Last edited by Harley; 01-31-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Got Worms?

Quote:

Honestly if any 4 channel radio on the market had the functions then people would use them more.
just wait i got something brewing, well actually a whole soup boiling. It may take awhile since i'm a poor white boy, but once they're done, there will be a new a new pick of radio for a rc crawler. and any other ground rc that requires complex functions
Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
just wait i got something brewing, well actually a whole soup boiling. It may take awhile since i'm a poor white boy, but once they're done, there will be a new a new pick of radio for a rc crawler. and any other ground rc that requires complex functions
Good luck
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I love my React radio, and the software. If it breaks, I'd buy another. I accidently put a 3s lipo on it with out a regulator and thought i blew it up.(some of the smoke leaked out) It didn't power on for 2 days and then started working again, whew.

But it might not be the radio for everyone.
motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
Got Worms?

Quote:
Both do independent control for rear steer.
How? I can see possibly a 3 pos switch, or the little dial thingy, but neither of those give true proportional independent control that returns to center. How ever there may be some sort of weird linear servo control that will allow you set servo speed so as it is in a position on a switch it will steer that direct, then return to center once the switch is centered. but i that just complicates rear steer.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
20K Club

Quote:
How? I can see possibly a 3 pos switch, or the little dial thingy, but neither of those give true proportional independent control that returns to center. How ever there may be some sort of weird linear servo control that will allow you set servo speed so as it is in a position on a switch it will steer that direct, then return to center once the switch is centered. but i that just complicates rear steer.
Independent has nothing to do with self centering. The 3rd and 4th channels can be programmed to have anywhere from 2-200 positions. All the top guys running supers like to run 5-10 positions for rear steer and like it to hold position.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Independent has nothing to do with self centering. The 3rd and 4th channels can be programmed to have anywhere from 2-200 positions. All the top guys running supers like to run 5-10 positions for rear steer and like it to hold position.
Ok i guees there is indpendent control, in a way

200 positions, huh. Why not just an analog pot that can be turned to any degree, or fraction of a degree, or do a multi turn pot and get very very precise. (although i'd need to base off a different platform than what i am now). If its preffered to hold position then don't do rtc, as simple as that. Hell i could rig something up that was sprung center with the flick of a switch. I'm sure a pro driver would really like that.

But my mood to argue is now over, i just had the urge to earlier, sorry jaybird1ton for cluttering your thread, just remember futaba isn't your only option. There nothing wrong with their radios, i'll just never be a huge fan.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
All the top guys running supers like to run 5-10 positions for rear steer and like it to hold position.
Yep, the React does the same.....and that is where I run mine and it holds position perfectly (actually, sometimes too well).
Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I have a Airtronics M11 and a Futaba 4pk. The 4pk is very nice was pretty expensive and to me very easy to use quickly. The M11 is also very nice but a bit heavier, tough to program the two aux channels (at least to me), and takes longer to adjust some settings. All in all I highly recommend the 4PK or the new 4PKS even though they are a little more pricy.
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

FUTABA is the only way to go, I have a 4pl and a 4pks, your can assign any switch to any thing, they are way easy to use, very good quality. I will never buy any thing but futaba. You get what you pay for.

That's my opinion take it if you like if not shove it!
klaygrover is offline   Reply With Quote