Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: "Rare earth" motors Cobalt and Neodymium?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default "Rare earth" motors Cobalt and Neodymium?

Am looking for a Neodymium Brushed motor. I have only found the Holmes Cobalt Puller motor. Has any one here found a Neodymium motor that is not a brushless? Any suggestions?
realmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yep, Astroflight makes quite a few:
http://www.astroflight.com/
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the link. I guess I will keep looking for what I want. Still open for suggestions.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?page=66
Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Here ya go

Axle Buster Tech Thread
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

There used to be a guy back in the day on Big Jims forum that went by Neomag and I have a couple of cans he put neo mags in for me. Don't know if he is around anywhere or not.

Try Eddio O from Brood, he and Big Jim were tight and I know Eddie is building a neo mag motor right now.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
Good call.

I thought the guy was looking for a puller style motor (since he asked about cobalt and neo magnets)....
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My new axles buster has neo mags....still a couple months out, but they are coming along.

I've never had any luck getting a hold of neomags. His webpage is still up, but he doesn't respond to the emails or anything....

Randy, if you ever wanna sell one of those NEO motors, lemme know.....I would love to get one for my collection...

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yeah I did checked out this motors, but they are discontinue. It would have been nice.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
My new axles buster has neo mags....still a couple months out, but they are coming along.

I've never had any luck getting a hold of neomags. His webpage is still up, but he doesn't respond to the emails or anything....

Randy, if you ever wanna sell one of those NEO motors, lemme know.....I would love to get one for my collection...

Later EddieO
When will you have the motor available for sale? I saw the thread you link and the you-tube video. They look bad ass.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Hopefully some time in march.......still testing, but I am expecting the arms in march.........gotta wind them and such, but still working on can and magnet designs.

Later EddieO
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:

Later EddieO
I remember that guy. I always wanted one of his Ti based motors but could never justify the $125 price tag when I was younger... After seeing EeePee's motor run a few weeks ago, I wish I had bought one. I think it would have twisted my BMI car and it was solid.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The NeoMag motors had horrible startup. I think Fish bought one about 4 or 5 years ago. Much too strong of a field for use with standard 3 slot arms in a crawler. As Eddie no doubt knows, it is a balance of steel concentration and magnetic strength. Make it too powerful and the detent torque kills low speed control. Make it too weak and power is left on the table. I built one a few years back and shelved it. Built another one 6 months ago with the 28mm armatures and still didn't like the low end control. I'm still working on figuring out the right magnet and arm combination, but so far the only ones that work decently have too large of an airgap and the mid to high load efficiency went in the toilet.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The NeoMags motors would be terrible in a crawler......they were pretty much for drag motors and that's it. We had one at some point, but it got lost in transit when going to a race.....

I just collect all things brushed motor, and would love to get one...

Balance between the two fields is a must, hence why I am still messing with winds, magnets, etc.......its close though.

One thing is for sure, even once figured out, they will not be for every truck or driver......

Later EddieO
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Later EddieO

Let me dig them out and I will pm you. I sent him 2 Reedy cans and he put the mags in my cans. I think I paid $50 a can and never really did anything with them.

I put one in a sprint car with a 10 turn arm running on 6 cells and it didn't matter how much I geared it up, it would rocket out of the corner but run out of steam half way down the straight.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote