Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2 Pole vs 4 Pole?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2 Pole vs 4 Pole?

Hey guys. I'm new to rc and am still learning. Can anyone tell me what the difference between 2 and 4 poles is in a ESC? I'm guessing they are talking about the ESC. Here is the motor ESC combos I'm looking at incase anyone is as confused as me.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-7200kv.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-6100kv.html
What I was looking for was a super cheap sensored brushless motor. I don't think that is what this is. But maybe one is better for rock crawling than the other?
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I didn't bother to click the links, but can tell you right off most use 1000-2000kv motors in crawlers. I have a 3300 kv in my scaler and it's pretty fast, like slash with a VXL fast.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The pole count is referring to the motor. 4 poles usually have a lil more torque and are a bit more efficient than a 2 pole. Both combos you linked are not crawler suited. They are both 1/18 systems and way to high a kv rating. As stated above look down into the 2500 and below area. They are both sensor less systems. I think the Xerun is their sensored line but far overpriced for what you get. Might as will get a mamba pro for the price of the hobbywing stuff
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
The pole count is referring to the motor. 4 poles usually have a lil more torque and are a bit more efficient than a 2 pole. Both combos you linked are not crawler suited. They are both 1/18 systems and way to high a kv rating. As stated above look down into the 2500 and below area. They are both sensor less systems. I think the Xerun is their sensored line but far overpriced for what you get. Might as will get a mamba pro for the price of the hobbywing stuff
+1.....pole count has nothing to do with the ESC.
Another possible issue with the linked 1/18th motors, the shaft size (diameter) is probably smaller than any gears you have.
Stick with a 10th scale system for a 10th scale rig.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
Hey guys. I'm new to rc and am still learning. Can anyone tell me what the difference between 2 and 4 poles is in a ESC? I'm guessing they are talking about the ESC. Here is the motor ESC combos I'm looking at incase anyone is as confused as me.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-7200kv.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-6100kv.html
What I was looking for was a super cheap sensored brushless motor. I don't think that is what this is. But maybe one is better for rock crawling than the other?

4 pole is in the motor. 4 pole has a lot more torque than 2 pole. If you want a good but cheap sensored brushless motor try LRP or LOSI. Speed Passion has a cheaper one but I don't know anyone that has one. Novak has a Crawler line also but theres are brand specific. Holmes Hobbies is designing one, If you can wait a while. Sounds like he has it designed but needs the parts made.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys for the info. I'm finding it very helpful. This would be going in a maxstone16. Which is the losi MRC rip off. I didn't realize the kv rating was a motor speed rating. Higher the number the faster the motor. Thank you.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info. I'm finding it very helpful. This would be going in a maxstone16. Which is the losi MRC rip off. I didn't realize the kv rating was a motor speed rating. Higher the number the faster the motor. Thank you.
No problem.

Also, you will only find KV ratings on brushless motors, NOT brushed.

A 27turn brushed is like a 17.5 turn/2200KV brushless
A 13.5 turn brushless is also known as a 3300KV

As the turns go down the KV goes up.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks Charlie. I think I'm going to go with the Mongoose 1/18 Crawler Mini BL System 18.5T as soon as I have some money, or the wife is not looking. LOL. All the guys running it seem very happy with it and oddly enough it is cheaper than the brushed combos guys are using.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks Charlie. I think I'm going to go with the Mongoose 1/18 Crawler Mini BL System 18.5T as soon as I have some money, or the wife is not looking. LOL. All the guys running it seem very happy with it and oddly enough it is cheaper than the brushed combos guys are using.

I like it in mine. If you ever have the desire or just curios how fast this thing will go. buy a Thunder power 3 cell 250 mAh or 350 mAh. By the way I see you are kinda on a budget. Buy a "JST" connecter for it. Small Thunder Powers come with that connector. A "JST" is only good for 7 AMPS but it works great on mine. By The Way if you have a micro crawler a 250 mAh works in that too.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote