Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: reciever question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default reciever question

im gettin ready to install my bec in my ax10 and i was reading that you have to pull a wire from the plug so you dont blow the internal bec on reciever, now my reciever doesnt have a internal bec so do i still have to pull the wire from the plug or can i leave it
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

anybody, will it hurt if i leave the wire plugged in to the reciever plug since my reciever doesnt have a internal bec
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The BEC is in the ESC not the receiver. So the red wire you pull is the one that goes from the ESC to the RX. You are powering the RX and steering servo with the BEC so you do not need the ESC's BEC to drive those. The reason you do this is to isolate the RX and servo from pulling too much of a load off the ESC's BEC which can cause a "brown out".
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

No receivers have an internal BEC, the ESC's do. If you plan on running the BEC into the RX you should remove the Red wire from the connector for the ESC leaving only a Ground and Signal Wire. Its not that the ESC internal BEC will blow, but it will fight the voltage of the External BEC and overheat.

There are quite a few good diagrams here in the Elec. Section, check them out
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ya sorry i got them mixed up, but ya my esc has a bec so i pull the wire from the esc's reciever plug, and ya im goin to search for them
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_tough View Post
No receivers have an internal BEC, the ESC's do. If you plan on running the BEC into the RX you should remove the Red wire from the connector for the ESC leaving only a Ground and Signal Wire. Its not that the ESC internal BEC will blow, but it will fight the voltage of the External BEC and overheat.

There are quite a few good diagrams here in the Elec. Section, check them out
That may not be true in all cases. I was trying to "trick" an associated 1/18th ESC into working with my spektrum receiver, since they are known to have compatibility issues. Apparently the ESC is looking for signal before the Spektrum initializes. I thought I would be tricky and temporarily connect a 4-cell alkaline receiver pack to the receiver to get it started before turning on the ESC. I had the RX pack connected for about 2 seconds before tuninr on the ESC, and disconnected it within a second of turning on the ESC. It got the ESC "working" but it smelled like burnt electronics and I no longer had reverse. This was with all ESC wires hooked up, and the receiver pack probably producing power less than a typical stand alone BEC.

The ESC was an extra, so it wasn't a huge deal, but I thought I would pass along the experience to save someone from damagine more expensive equipment.
Timmahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

well i got my bec hooked up and working at 6 volts and man what a differnece that it makes, my steering servo actually turns when im in a bind now so i guess i should have gotten a bec sooner