Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: VXL with BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
TSK
Shelf queen

Default VXL with BEC?

Anyone know if the VXL 3s esc has an internal BEC? IF it does, what are it's Volts/Amp ratigs?

I assume it can power a 200 oz steering and a shift servo?

What about powering a JR 9100T?

Otherwise, i assume you are running a BEC with it?

Last edited by TSK; 02-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

It's in here somewhere:

Quote:
*** New Waterproof Version ***Traxxas Velineon VXL-3S electronic speed control has auto-detects and compatible with brushed, brushless and sensored brushless motors. Compatible with NiCad, NiMH (4-10 cells) and 2-3 cell LiPo battery packs-two stage low voltage detection for LiPos provides signal to driver that battery pack is nearing its minimum voltage threshold. Three driver profiles-Sport, Race and Training Modes. Training Mode reduces power output by 50% to control over compensation allowing new or younger drivers better control. Two stage thermal shutdown protects against overheating. Locked Rotor Protection cuts power if vehicle is stuck or motor is bound. Sensor Phase Detection protects against improperly wired aftermarket sensored motors. Sensored Motor Backup Protection switches to sensorless operation if a motor sensor fails or sensor wires become disconnected. Battery Over-Voltage Protection. Water resistant case uses rubber seals and O-rings. Gold-plated motor connectors. This package includes Traxxas Velineon VXL-3S Electronic Speed Control with Traxxas High Current Male Battery Connector, instruction sheet

Input Voltage: NiCad/NiMH 4-9 Cells (4.8 to 10.8 Volts DC)
LiPo 2-3 Cells (7.4 to 11.1 Volts DC)
Case Size: Width 1.5" x Depth 2.2" x Height 1.3" (39mm x 55mm x 33mm)
Weight: 3.2oz (90g)
Motor Limit: None
On Resistance Forward: 0.00075 Ohms, Reverse: 0.00075 Ohms
Peak Current Forward: 320A, Reverse: 320A
Braking Current: 320A
Continuous Current: 200A
BEC Voltage: 6.0 VDC
BEC Current: 2.5A (with 6-cell NiMH)
Power Wire: 12 Gauge Maxx® Cable
Input Harness Wire: 26 Gauge / 100mm
Transistor Type: MOSFET
Low Voltage Detection: Auto-detect (2-S or 3-S Lipo), 2-stage indicators, switchable (on or off)
Thermal Protection: 2-Stage thermal shutdown
Profile selection:
Profile 1: Sport Mode:
100% fwd, 100% brakes, 100% rev
Profile 2: Race Mode:
100% fwd, 100% brakes, no rev.Sport Mode:
Profile 3: Patent Pending Trainig Mode:
50% fwd, 100% brakes, 50% rev.
Ports: RX Input, motor sensor, auxiliary fan
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
It's in here somewhere:
Thanks. All the spec sheets i found left me in the dark regarding the BEC.

Doens't look like it has enough current to support much.... but I'd be using 3s...

So if i want to test the BEC current on 3s, do i just use a voltmeter on the red rx lead?

Or should i just direct wire a CC BEC to the 9100t?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think the internal BEC will let you down when you are running 3S, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Quote:
So if i want to test the BEC current on 3s, do i just use a voltmeter on the red rx lead?
What you are describing will measure voltage, but that is still good info. It is difficult to load down the BEC circuit and hold the volt meter in place. Maybe another way to test it would to run your rig under stressful conditions. On a hot day, run the ESC hard to get it hot and do some steering that puts the servo under a heavy load. If it keeps running well, you are probably fine, but if it cuts out - a symptom might be your receiver losing lock or your esc rebooting - an external BEC should be in your future!
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I think the internal BEC will let you down when you are running 3S, but hopefully I'm wrong.

What you are describing will measure voltage, but that is still good info. It is difficult to load down the BEC circuit and hold the volt meter in place. Maybe another way to test it would to run your rig under stressful conditions. On a hot day, run the ESC hard to get it hot and do some steering that puts the servo under a heavy load. If it keeps running well, you are probably fine, but if it cuts out - a symptom might be your receiver losing lock or your esc rebooting - an external BEC should be in your future!
Thanks for the insight. I guess i'll just try running it then and see where it takes me