Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: futaba rx antenna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default futaba rx antenna

The rx with the 4pl I've seen one post saying don't put the antenna in the rx box because of range. Has anyone experienced this first hand? Looking to clean up my rig
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Somebody said it in the 4PL thread, from first hand experience. I read it just today but it is burried somewhere from page 20-34
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah that's where I saw it but never said how bad it shortened the range. Just so used to spektrums so I'm new to the futaba workings
Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have NOT tried this.....but normal crawling you are close enough to not have a range issue.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have a futaba receiver which had the antenna mostly vaporized when it came in contact with the motor terminals. All that's left is about a 1" nub. I haven't tested the range, but haven't had an issue with crawling. If mine still works without issue, chances are you won't have any problems.
kirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Wanted to update. Got my 4pl back and opened the rx unplugged the antenna wire and tested the distance I could the farthest I could get in my back yard was about 23 yards away from my tx with it in the house doors closed and the rx was still hooked up with a solid green light. Set the truck down and grabbed my tx worked great at that range more than double what I've ever used my crawler. So if your worried about distance I can say you can safely run these rx in a crawler with the antenna unplugged from the rx
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
Wanted to update. Got my 4pl back and opened the rx unplugged the antenna wire and tested the distance I could the farthest I could get in my back yard was about 23 yards away from my tx with it in the house doors closed and the rx was still hooked up with a solid green light. Set the truck down and grabbed my tx worked great at that range more than double what I've ever used my crawler. So if your worried about distance I can say you can safely run these rx in a crawler with the antenna unplugged from the rx
I'm not sure on RX's, but TX's are designed to have the antenna load on them, if you do much transmitting with the antenna removed/disconnected/loose/etc, you end up killing the output circuit on the TX.
Like I said, not sure if there is something similar on a RX.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

makes sense ill let you know if they junk out
Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I'm not sure on RX's, but TX's are designed to have the antenna load on them, if you do much transmitting with the antenna removed/disconnected/loose/etc, you end up killing the output circuit on the TX.
Like I said, not sure if there is something similar on a RX.
The reason a TX can get damaged is the radio wants to send the radio signal power out through the antenna, but with it removed that power will dissipate internally which it is not designed for. The RX only tries to receive a signal, so without an antenna there can only be less signal power, so there's no risk of damage.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_Driver View Post
The reason a TX can get damaged is the radio wants to send the radio signal power out through the antenna, but with it removed that power will dissipate internally which it is not designed for. The RX only tries to receive a signal, so without an antenna there can only be less signal power, so there's no risk of damage.
I didn't think there would be an issue with an RX (other than the lack of range) without an antenna, but wanted to point out a possibility.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I have been running mine with the antenna removed for some time now. Never had an issue. I dont drive far away often but, I did drive 40 feet just this weekend and had zero issues at all.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I put my wire in the RX and the truck went crazy. Took it back out and its fine. I may try removing the wire all together. Note: I was in my house when it went crazy, not cool.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote