Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Micros failure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default Mamba Micros failure?

Has anyone had any failures running dual Mamba Micros on their XR10?

I'm thinking about making a change and was wondering if they are really lasting or if some people are just lucky with them.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Work great for me, running 35t broods on 3s
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

they work great!!! however, from what I understand if you are working them hard for long periods of time they can blow. I know Krawlfreek smoked some. If you are running 800-1100 batteries and let them cool a few between batteries you should be good...at least that's what a little crawler-dad told me
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've had very good success with mine so far. Super small and light! They handle my 35T handwounds great!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, first time I ran mine I ran it 7packs straight. No rest time. And they werent even warm.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
they work great!!! however, from what I understand if you are working them hard for long periods of time they can blow. I know Krawlfreek smoked some. If you are running 800-1100 batteries and let them cool a few between batteries you should be good...at least that's what a little crawler-dad told me
I PM'd him and asked him to chime in. Hopefully he can enlighten us and let us know what happened.

I run 3S 40C 1050s 40t motors 13t pinions.

So I'm hoping to hear from alll the guys that have smoked them with some stories of what they were doing and what their setups are.

I don't want to have to take it easy but I certainly don't want to smoke controllers in the heat of battle. So if it seems like these can handle the abuse I'll go for it, otherwise I may go with the sidewinder SV2s.

As far as cool down time that may concern me with the "warm" summers we have down here.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

I have been running these Mamba micros for close to a year..
First it was with 1 MP and 2 -45T integys in a Berg..3 comp bergs
then for the last 7 months I have ran 2-MP with 40T broods in a Berg and still no issues..
Now I have all 3 comp bergs with dual MP and no issues at all..2 have been removed from there case the other 4 are still in the case..

when I was running 1-MP with 2 45T integys I did notice that if I worked on a certain line for a long time the 1-MP did get warm but never shut down..
but that was also in Aug in Arizona..so take that for what it is..

Bottom line these little ESCs are Fantastic..very user friendly and smooth on the low end accel..very tuneable to what your driving style is..
CRAWLER-DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think they will be fine....mine never even got any runtime! I hooked them up, correctly I might add, and one smoked as I plugged in the battery. It was easier for me to go back to what I knew than mess with it any more.

It is very possible that I had a bad unit, it has happened to every manufacturer at one point or another.

I know many of my team guys run them with no issues. I would not hesitate one bit.
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Holmes Hobbies

Yep,Thats the only problem I've had was getting new ones to work, Once they are set up I've ran them hard through all 4 battery packs without a break to make sure they worked. Not even warm on Holmes 35.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
I hooked them up, correctly I might add, and one smoked as I plugged in the battery.
The first time I put a battery to them wired together, i got the magic smoke too. No harm though.

I made the switch from one fx-r to dual micros a few months ago. I am glad I did. HH 35T's 3S berg.
I had forgotten how nice the low end start up is on castle esc's. It was a night and day difference to me. I haven't had any issues with mine in 4 months.

Last edited by Szczerba; 02-03-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Dual micros here as well running 1000mah 40C 3S packs and on most practice days I run 4 of these packs through at a time...maybe a 5 minute break in there somewhere. Then I run my 800mah 25C 3S packs through...I have 3 of them. I've never had one shut down nor any other issue. I've never used a temp gun on them, but my fingers say they're "not hot".

Bottom line...I love em!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Work great for me, running 35t broods on 3s
X2 I have a ton of time on mine now, no issues.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

i run them with 45t broods on a 2s lipo they get pretty warm when im working them hard wondering if i should try a 3s the only time i had problems is when i soldered both pos and neg wires on ONE side of a motor (first time i had ever done that in 10 years) i was excited to get my first moa going then poof my hopes and dreams were crushed
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Fudge it .... I ordered some too.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have a large % of drivers that are using the mamba micro pros, even though I recommend against them for comp use. Particularly 3s 35t motor use. But, they do hold up and do rather well.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

dual mamba micro pros running HH45T's on 1200 3s Lipo! soldered the switch in the motherboard!

the little buggers are fantastic .... smooth throttle control and insane drag brake ..... i run mine continouosly for 3-4 packs and they barely get warm ....

my servo does but the esc's dont!!!! .....

probably one reason why that every hooby website now is on backorder or out of stock for the micros!!! they just flat out work!
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

What is the main difference between the MMPro, and the Sidewinder Micro besides no heatsink?
Bad Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RAM View Post
What is the main difference between the MMPro, and the Sidewinder Micro besides no heatsink?
I think it is Amp rating.

I don't have specific numbers but someone will.
Might be some better components in the MMP too.

EDIT:
From the last post:
http://thetoyz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14645
Quote:
i emailed castle on this they say the sidewinder can handle 25 amps continuos and the mamba micro pro can handle 35 due to the heat sink they clain it's the exact same board and fet's just in a different case and with a heat sink
Remember though that it IS the internet ...

Last edited by Locked Up; 02-09-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
i run them with 45t broods on a 2s lipo they get pretty warm when im working them hard wondering if i should try a 3s the only time i had problems is when i soldered both pos and neg wires on ONE side of a motor (first time i had ever done that in 10 years) i was excited to get my first moa going then poof my hopes and dreams were crushed
I think you'll be happy if you do step up to the 3S packs. What I learned from my conversation with the guys at Castle was that you don't want to error on the side of not enough power being available. That makes the ESC's work harder to do the same thing.

I think about it like this...if you put a 4 cylinder motor in a 3/4 ton diesel truck and try to pull the same load as you would with the diesel the 4 cylinder MIGHT make it move but it has to work A LOT harder to do it.

The ESC's are only going to draw as much power as is needed by the motors. That's where the amperage comes in. 35t motors are going to use more amps than 45t motors in the same situation. That's why it seems to be recommended to stick with 45t and above with 3S.

Hope this helps...
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
I think it is Amp rating.

I don't have specific numbers but someone will.
Might be some better components in the MMP too.

EDIT:
From the last post:
http://thetoyz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14645

Remember though that it IS the internet ...

Thanks!
Bad Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote