Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RADIOS: Whats needed and whats a good price tag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Question RADIOS: Whats needed and whats a good price tag

I've been tossing around the idea lately to build jigs and such so i can streamline a radio build, probably knock off about 50 bucks what i would normally charge. However i don't want to waist my time building jigs for a radio no one wants.

So what i want to hear is what would be a nice radio at the $100-150, $200-250, $300-500 range.

Only limitation i'm going to put on ideas is between $100-200 a screen will be very limited, and will definably raise the cost at least 50 bucks) However they can be programmed via a laptop, computer, or possibly some older pda's.

Also what radio housings (radios) are the most comfortable for the hand. They should be no more then 30 bucks shipped for a used once.

I have a list of quite a few platforms i can work off of but all have their disadvantages. So post up anything you can come up with, i'm currently working on a radio that will make a 4pks look like a dx3, and i should be able to market them at at 4pks range. So don't think something is impossible because with a advance processor and custom firmware anything is possible.

So post up your opinions, radio housing, what type of switches, switch location, price, etc.

As of now i am thinking 6 channels, throttle, steering, (2) 3 pos switches, (1) rtc 3 pos switch, (1) non-rtc pot, throttle & steering trim knobs, (2) mix switches (turn a mix, or dual rate on and off)...Programmin features via cpu will be EPA's, ch rev, sub trim, on all 6 channels, 3 mixs when 4ch operation or 1 as a 6 ch operation, and unlimited model memory. $15 RX's. All this for a price tag of $150 shipped

Thanks,
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

The best radio I ever had was a Nomadio react. It fit my hand, was crazy programmable and was 4 channels. However ... the RXs were crap (and giant) so you had to run a Spektrum RX which cut you down to 3 channels.

I love my Futaba but wish it used AA like my DX3. It's also got a lot of things that I just don't know what they are. The beauty of the Nomadio was that I could program it on the PC and they had details on what every setting was and how it impacted things.

The extra channels as you have them laid out would be fine (I think) but if you could make the switches fully programmable that would be perfect. (IE with the Nomadio I could set up a 99 position switch). I'd want AAs, backlight, and as many EPA adjustments on the radio as possible.

By non-rtc pot you mean a dial?
(I'm assuming rtc=return to center)

Last edited by Locked Up; 02-03-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
The best radio I ever had was a Nomadio react. It fit my hand, was crazy programmable and was 4 channels. However ... the RXs were crap (and giant) so you had to run a Spektrum RX which cut you down to 3 channels.

I love my Futaba but wish it used AA like my DX3.

The extra channels as you have them laid out would be fine (I think). I'd want AAs, backlight, and as many EPA adjustments on the radio as possible.

By non-rtc pot you mean a dial?
(I'm assuming rtc=return to center)

Yes by non-rtc i mean just a knob you can turn, much like a trim knob.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I want a 5ch MX3. lol.

Too many things need to be controlled, not enough pistol grip radio.
arthurc10 is offline   Reply With Quote