Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HELP!!! New to Lithiums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default HELP!!! New to Lithiums

Hello, I just bought some lithium cells the other day but need help to decide what to charge them on. I'm only new to lithiums. I'm not sure what brand they are, probably cheap chinese ones. They have part number lir123a on them and are 600mah 3.6v.
My charger is a Swallow AC/DC EQ charger, and has the following lithium charges: LiIo, LiPo, LiFePO4 (A123).

I when to the hobby shop that I bought the lithiums from and he said use the LiFe setting because they are 123 type batteries, which would seem obvious compared to the part number. BUT... my charger LiFe setting is 3.3v per cell and my cells have 3.6v printed on them. I Googled the part number and found a chinese supplier website which says this part number is a lithium ion (which fits with my chargers LiIo 3.6v charge rate)

...So I'm pretty confused, but I'm confident that I can rule out the LiPo setting. The guy that runs the hobby shop said these cells are really safe (unless intentionally abusing them), they won't blow up or catch fire, and don't really need to be ballanced, and don't need a voltage cut off. I think he mentioned something about magnesium in them too if that helps.

Any help is much appreciated
patrol_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

BTW, The battery packs I made are just 2 cells in series and currently measure around 7.6v per pack, and I haven't charged them yet.
The packs are built for my AX10.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

i'm no where near an expert but the little i read on this the otherday would say for you to use the LiFe setting. and yes those are supposed to be safer batteries. you might look to make sure the charger is truly compatabile with the 123 type battery, otherwise go for it.
nukegm426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukegm426 View Post
i'm no where near an expert but the little i read on this the otherday would say for you to use the LiFe setting. and yes those are supposed to be safer batteries. you might look to make sure the charger is truly compatabile with the 123 type battery, otherwise go for it.

LiFe batteries are a minimum 3.3 volts per cell. This is a 2 cell battery = 6.6 volts So 3 cells are 9.9 volts. LiPO cells are 3.7 volts per cell. 2 cells = 7.4 3 cells 11. 1 volts
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
LiFe batteries are a minimum 3.3 volts per cell. This is a 2 cell battery = 6.6 volts So 3 cells are 9.9 volts. LiPO cells are 3.7 volts per cell. 2 cells = 7.4 3 cells 11. 1 volts
So if my lir123a battery packs are 7.2v do I charge them on LiIo 7.2v, or LiFe 6.6v?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=patrol_maverick;2911260]So if my lir123a battery packs are 7.2v do I charge them on LiIo 7.2v, or LiFe 6.6v?[/QUOTE

if its a a123 pack use the life setting it reads 7 volts when its charged. Ran down it will be 6.6. I use a LiFe pack in my radio, so yes it is this way.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'll give it a go on LiFe, and if no good I'll try LiIo. I only paid $4 per cell so if they die then it's no big loss.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Can you take a pic of them or link to where you bought them? It sounds like they have a 3.6v/ cell profile, and they may not be high discharge rate cells. What are these going in?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I could be wrong but won't the charger detect if your entered the wrong battery? Sorry if I'm wrong, I've never used liFe battery's b4
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Maybe if the overall voltage is way off, but otherwise chargers will do what you tell them. They don't know the difference between the various chemistries, and charging a lithium cell too high in voltage is the best way to start a fire.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
I could be wrong but won't the charger detect if your entered the wrong battery? Sorry if I'm wrong, I've never used liFe battery's b4
I've hooked lipos up and charged on a NiMH setting quite a few times. Although it can be very dangerous, it'll charge as long as you let it.

If I get a lipo that drops below the cut off, a few seconds on a NiMH charge will bump it back above 3v per cell. It is dangerous, I strongly recommend using a lipo sack or ammo can while doing so.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #12

Those cells sound a lot like an IMR16340. IMR chemistry, or Lithium Manganese Oxide is a "safe chemistry" high power cell. I'm judging by the part# and capacity that they are 123a size (one 2/3 of an "A" sized cell) or 16mm x 34mm. The good news is that these are a high current, safe cell that you can charge with the LiIo setting (3.6v nominal-4.1v @ full charge)

The bad news is that these cells are not suitable to make a pack for your AX10. They would only deliver a peak of about 10 amps and around 5 amps continuously. And just for clarification, ALL lithium chemistries (LiPo, LiIo, LiFe, LiCo, LiMn, etc.) MUST be balanced charged and MUST have a low voltage cutoff. Life(IFR) and LiMn(IMR) will tolerate overdischarge and not being balanced, but will have a very very short and unhappy life.

Sorry I dont have more good news for these cells, they are just a bit too small for the application.
adam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam83 View Post
Those cells sound a lot like an IMR16340. IMR chemistry, or Lithium Manganese Oxide is a "safe chemistry" high power cell. I'm judging by the part# and capacity that they are 123a size (one 2/3 of an "A" sized cell) or 16mm x 34mm. The good news is that these are a high current, safe cell that you can charge with the LiIo setting (3.6v nominal-4.1v @ full charge)

The bad news is that these cells are not suitable to make a pack for your AX10. They would only deliver a peak of about 10 amps and around 5 amps continuously. And just for clarification, ALL lithium chemistries (LiPo, LiIo, LiFe, LiCo, LiMn, etc.) MUST be balanced charged and MUST have a low voltage cutoff. Life(IFR) and LiMn(IMR) will tolerate overdischarge and not being balanced, but will have a very very short and unhappy life.

Sorry I dont have more good news for these cells, they are just a bit too small for the application.

Heres what you could do is put them in your radio.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam83 View Post

Your first paragraph sounds basically the same as what the guy at the hobby store said, but he wasn't sure about using them in a crawler- he'd been trialing them in planes. I guess I'll trial them for crawling, and if they do die then I'll try something else.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol_maverick View Post
Your first paragraph sounds basically the same as what the guy at the hobby store said, but he wasn't sure about using them in a crawler- he'd been trialing them in planes. I guess I'll trial them for crawling, and if they do die then I'll try something else.

Good idea! They were only a few bucks, right. If they fail order these http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/ind...841&sid=751576 Good quality, good price. What other reason is there?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
Good idea! They were only a few bucks, right. If they fail order these http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/ind...841&sid=751576 Good quality, good price. What other reason is there?
Those prices are good. Even better for me now that the Australian dollar is so high.