Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3s lipo cell balancing concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 3s lipo cell balancing concerns

Here's the scoop, I balanced charged my 3s pack before I left home, got to the course and ran for maybe 5-10 tops. The rig started to lag almost like the motor was stalled, put it on flat ground and it just slowwwwwwly rolled a foot or two then stopped, I thought LVC had kicked in. I grabbed another pack and threw the offending pack on the charger, the cells measured 2.80 3.67 2.80, I got home and slow discharged the pack to to 9v the chargers auto 3s setting, then I balanced charged it back to capacity. The cells now show there normal voltage and are within .01 volt of each other. Any ideas on what occurred?
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You over discharged the pack. The cell at 3.67 probably has a few mah more capacity than the other two, so it didn't crash as hard and managed to bounce back a bit after you unplugged it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That was my concern, I run a BEC to power my receiver since my MMP has no internal BEC. I will assume that the dig and steering servo consume juice that the MMP LVC can't account for, but shouldn't the LVC shut things down one the preset is reached, regardless of which device has consumed the power? I understand if I was to cycle my dig or steering until the point of being overcharged, but I was driving the rig as usual. What should I have the MMP cutoff at? I haven't ran the pack after balancing it when I got home, since it charged ok, would you say its still good? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The ESC reads total pack voltage, so it was within reason. My guess is your battery isn't passing enough amps for your setup and two cells are now trash from overdischarge. The BEC has nothing to do with it.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Would dead cells take a charge then? When I slow charged the pack, all cells came back up as normal. Everything I have read says a dead pack wont charge, I'm prepared for decreased capacity if it does hold its charge, I just want to make sure I don't have a mishap while its in the rig. Can a battery have a catastrophic failure while not being charged, ie: burst into flames while being ran?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The low cells may have some capacity damage. Just keep an eye out for heat during charge or discharge.

Charging is generally the dangerous part.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote