Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: new radio?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default new radio?

i just killed my reciever while playin in the water so i was wandering what the best choice for a new radio reciever combo would be. i would like to run a winch and a two speed summit tranny from the radio so i'll need enough channels for that. (not sure how all of this works) but on to the question... What is the best quality, most cost efficient radio/reciver combo out there for this application?
scx10mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well, you have just a few choices in the 4CH radio category which will do what you described.

Low price options: 1) RC4WD XR4, 2) Traxxas TQ4 (either modified or with an adapter)

Medium price options: 1) Futaba 4PL, 2) Airtronics MT-4 (for sale later this month?)

High price option: 1) Futaba 4PK-S

Alternate option: 1) losikid kit or losikid custom (if you dream it, he will make it)

It is up to your budget, your needs, and your imagination!
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/spm3160.htm

i have been lookin at that one. I'm not sure if 3 channel means motor,servo, and accesory or if the motor is seperate and i could run servo, accessory, accessory. the summit tranny is way in the future so that isn't the biggest importance right now. by the way i'm running it on and scx10

also that says battery voltage level indicator... does that mean it has a built in lipo cut off? because i'm switching to lipos in a week
scx10mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

three channel would be throttle, steering, accessory. so it won't do what you want. buy a radio now that does what you plan for the future and be done, otherwise you will be buying a new one later. as for the voltage indicator it's referring to the batteries in the remote, not the car itself. for a lipo cutoff you'll need that either added or built into the esc.
nukegm426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scx10mudder View Post
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/spm3160.htm

i have been lookin at that one. I'm not sure if 3 channel means motor,servo, and accesory or if the motor is seperate and i could run servo, accessory, accessory. the summit tranny is way in the future so that isn't the biggest importance right now. by the way i'm running it on and scx10

also that says battery voltage level indicator... does that mean it has a built in lipo cut off? because i'm switching to lipos in a week
Great radio, I have a couple of those. It is only 3 channels, so you would have steering, throttle, and then one accessory (you would need to choose winch OR transmission shift). Also, the transmitter does not have lipo cutoff, but using 4 AA batteries it will last for a while.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Got Worms?

You will need a 4ch radio, wantasummint posted up your options.

It will need 4ch's, 2 proportional channels (steering and throttle) on ch 1&2 and either proportional or 3 pos switches on ch 3&4.

You may need epa's for the summit tranny, i'm unsure...

If you have general fab skills and soldering skills i will be selling a diy 6ch kit, basically i will supply all the parts to turn any radio into a 6ch 2.4 radio, all ch's are proportional so lots of options are available. Or if you you don't have any skills in those area's i will build the radio for you, as long as it doesn't involve to much plastic fab i its a competive price tag for a simple radio like you need.

Or if you already have a tq 2.4 radio (seems like you might...) a wantasummit 3pos adapter will get the job done nicely.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

the m11 is 4ch, you can assign channels 3 and 4 to many differnt buttons switchs or knobs
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote