Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LIPO question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LIPO question

I just purchased some brandy new 3s lipos, but I won't be using them for a couple of months. What should I do to make sure they don't go bad? Thanks in advance.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i read somewhere to charge them to 50 or 60% to store for weeks. I know it says not to store them fully charged
dynamaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #3

Yeah 50-60% is where you want to be at for extended storage. That should put you about 3.85v/cell. you don't want any cell to drop below 3.2v. Lipos self-discharge less than nimh, so you should be ok for a month I would guess. If you want to extend it longer than that I would place them in ziplock bags with the air pressed out and place them in the fridge, next to the beer.
tommy8370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

if you just picked them up and never used them, more than likely they are at 75% charge which is perfect for storage. leave them in a dark, dry, cool place and you will be just fine
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the great adviceev eryone! These are my first lipos. I bought them because they were on sale but my trucks not even close to ready. I have all the parts just not the time! So I guess it will be about 2 months before I use em. Which brings me to my final question. After a month should I cycle them or just check the voltage?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukwylde View Post
Thanks for the great adviceev eryone! These are my first lipos. I bought them because they were on sale but my trucks not even close to ready. I have all the parts just not the time! So I guess it will be about 2 months before I use em. Which brings me to my final question. After a month should I cycle them or just check the voltage?
You'll be fine just leaving them alone. Many lipos sit in stores, warehouses and hobby shops for several months...

Make sure they are around 3.8 per cell and you're good to go..
bpd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Excellente! Thanks all!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #8

You don't want to leave them in below freezing temps. Or above approx 130*. If your going to not use them for a LONG time, I recommend fully charging them. All new packs I've gotten where near full charge. Can hurt "punch" very slightly (probably never noticed in a crawler), but not nearly as much as letting them over- discharge which can be unsafe!
nitroburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroburnt View Post
You don't want to leave them in below freezing temps. Or above approx 130*. If your going to not use them for a LONG time, I recommend fully charging them. All new packs I've gotten where near full charge. Can hurt "punch" very slightly (probably never noticed in a crawler), but not nearly as much as letting them over- discharge which can be unsafe!
Where did you get those fully-charged batteries from? Mfgs should be shipping out batteries anywhere from 40-60%. Storing batteries at 100% just puts unnecessary stress/pressure within the cells. There is a ton of literature out there for reference. Batteryuniversity.com is great and they update regularly.
tommy8370 is offline   Reply With Quote