Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 1 Fried ESC + 1 Fried ESC = BRAND NEW ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1 Fried ESC + 1 Fried ESC = BRAND NEW ESC

WOW its been a while since i started a thread here... n e ways i have a story to tell.

So yesterday i broke my crawler out, cus it was raining and there was mud and slipery rocks and puddles and water... this all adds up to one hell of a time... untill water hits the esc... NO GOOD!. espically around a tree where theres fertelizer and muddy watter... can u say super conductive. n e ways the truck started to act really weird and i felt the esc to see if it was hot... damn the thing burnt me so i unplug the batt AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.... i thought the water would dry out by today but it left nice ammounts of minerals on the PCB... so i cleaned the pcb to no avail only to still have 2 of the FET's get really hot upon plugging in the battery....

So i look over to my rc box and wouldnt u kno it another one of the same ECS that died because of the same prob.... water (Its an LRP Runner, they are great escs, no breaking feature and u can go right into reverse... they just are very very finicky with water... who woulda thunk water + electronics = bad...) SO n e ways i got to looking cus i didnt want to spend another 50 bucks on a stupid mistake, the FET's on the esc in my box were good in the place of the one that were bad in my crawler, so im like what the hell i have nothing to loose. so i unsoldered the bad ones, and soldered in the good ones and it blew me away they acutally worked.

Now that it had worked i set off to make the ESC pretty water tight, i pretty much encased every hole in Silicon gasket material including where the FET's pop out the plastic housing, and where all the wires come out.

So the moral of the story, if your esc dies.... dont throw it away, it may come into good use later on.!
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #2

why not just do it right the first time and buy one that is water proof?
tz-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

cus the ones that are waterproofed suck! I bought an LRP quantum AI Runner Pluss reverse which is waterproof, and the throttle curve was SOOOO BAD, it had NO PUNCH and a 5 second lag between forward and reverse, i retruned it to the company and asked for a regular LRP Runner, my friend has an Mtronics Waterproof ESC and it has a really bad lag between forward and reverse and has a really weak reverse.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have run the mtroniks escs as well, and they do suck (in my opinion). Reverse does have crappy power (probably one FET) and the reverse delay isnt programmable. I like no reverse delay and full reverse power baby!

Good job on fixing up your esc ND4
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

ya it is real nice to have full reverse power.... thats the side the fets were burnt out on... forward worked just fine but you would touch reverse 2 of the 4 FET's on the reverse side would heat up very quick... ya the LRP runner has 4 FET's for each direction. ya its really nice to have instant reverse for thoes... more vertical moments.

ill get pics up tommorrow of my Waterproofing lol... im still gonna stick the thing inside a little radio shack project box. it doesnt get warm at all normally, hopfully it wont get 2 warm inside the box. (This is another reason i dont run my servos power through my reciever... i have voltage regulators 1 per each servo connected directly to them so not much current is running through the reciever.)
Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
RCC Addict

both waterproof and
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

he he.... i think ima head over to the rat shack and grab a project box and put my stuff in there.