RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   HS-5085MG tests fine, doesn't work properly in car (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/298967-hs-5085mg-tests-fine-doesnt-work-properly-car.html)

shelljeep 02-10-2011 11:56 PM

HS-5085MG tests fine, doesn't work properly in car

I'm using for a dig servo on a FastBack LCC I'm building.
I'm using a DX3R.
I have the Mamba Max Pro set at 6V, shows 6.15V at the receiver.
I have the CCBEC ran directly to the 7950, set at 7.4V, only the signal wire is attached to the receiver. The receiver is a SR300.
The HPP21 tested sweep and step through 90* and it was working fine. I added a small amount of resistance through the range of movement, it was smooth the whole way.
I have tried it with the frame rate set 5.5ms, and also at 11ms.
I have tried it with a DR3001 rx and it acted the same.

This is what it's doing:
Even with epa's set 100%(disconnected and outside the car), very little movement, sometimes a jerky stepping motion for partial movement, never moved all the way to the epa.

7950 works GREAT with either rx.
Could it be the internal BEC in the MMP? How can I test it other than reading the output V?
Seems like it's a signal issue?
Yellow wire is going to S, and it is plugged into the AUX port.
Aux is set to 3P.
edit: Expo is 0, Sub Trim is 0, running the Aux in normal, not reverse.
Thanks.

MnRockCrawler 02-11-2011 12:45 AM

Do you have a spare controller and reciever to test it out on? Reason I ask is Ive had NOTHING but problems when running spektrum stuff with Hitec stuff. Spektrum doesnt like to fess up to it, but the guys at hitec had said it wasnt uncommon when I talked to them about it. Try it out and lemme know if it works with another controller/reciever.

shelljeep 02-11-2011 01:01 AM

Not trying to be argumentative here but I haven't had any Hitec/Spektrum problems before this. Those are on all 3 of my crawlers and my basher truck. You did make me think of something though.
It was working fine with this radio and rx before I took everything apart to swap it into the fastback.

The MMP came from my Losi MOA, I had to reprogram it to smartsense because I'm running a 21.5T LRP Crawler motor in this truck, the MOA was brushed. And in that combo, I ran the BEC through the rx at 7.4V. That rx is still in my BJv3 chassis and working fine. And I had the red wire pulled from the MMP's plug, using the external BEC to power everything.

So, the MMP is the only new element in the combo. The previous combo did use a MMP also, but that unit is currently in my SC8T basher truck.
Jeezus that sounds confusing. I hope my first post made more sense.:shock:

edit: I don't have any other brand tx/rx to test it with or I'd gladly do that, thanks for suggesting it.

SuperRoo 02-11-2011 09:48 AM

The 8085MG is probably interfering with the DSM1 receiver. If you have a DSM2 receiver like the SR3100 it will probably fix the problem.

Since you dont have another receiver to use, try turning the voltage down on the MMP to 5 or 5.5 volts and see if the problem still occurs.

shelljeep 02-12-2011 07:59 AM

Still struggling with this.
I tried the SR3100 DSM2 rx, no change.
I knocked the MMP output V to 5.5, no change.
I assigned the 3pos AUX to multiple buttons, no change.
I think the last step before sending it to Hitec will be to plug it into a different setup on a similar car, should be able to use my mini for that.
Unless you guys come up with some other way to diagnose or identify the problem.

shelljeep 02-12-2011 08:22 AM

Just tried it byplugging it into the SR3100 on mini and allowing the xcelorin esc to power it.
Still no movement, no response to aux.
I did notice that it is holding position, if you try to move the arm, you can hear it communicate. This makes me wonder if it's stuck in failsafe mode or something? I didn't turn that on with the hpp21plus though?

shelljeep 02-12-2011 09:00 AM

I plugged it back into the hpp21 plus, just to make sure I hadn't accidentally activated failsafe, to see if it was a signal problem.
I hadn't.
Then I had an idea, test it as a steering servo. WTF? Works fine in the STR slot.
I'm thinking I accidently messed with a setting in the DX3r concerning the 3pos aux switch now. Any ideas what setting could cause my trouble here?

shelljeep 02-12-2011 10:38 AM

I think it's the MMP's BEC.
I powered everything through the CCBEC and pulled the ESC red, everything works fine, just limited to 6.0V unless I run another BEC.

problemo 08-13-2012 10:25 AM

Re: HS-5085MG tests fine, doesn't work properly in car

This servo should be compatible with the HPP-21 programmer to set end points (EPA). After many fresh installs of the HPP-21 software, successfully validating the HPP operations with a HS-M7990TH-ME($250 servo), the little HS-5085MG choked and produced a "Runtime 6" error. SERVO IS NOW TOAST. 30 mins w Hitec support consistently led to "must be windows". Look up that error guys, it all points back to bad VB programming...very disappointed.