Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Looking for a little help to beat my friends!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #1

Default Looking for a little help to beat my friends!

Me and my friends just got into build crawlers and I just finished building my first crawler an AX10. They bought Losi Night Crawlers and out of the box it’s a better rig but after a few upgrades I was able to surpass them.

Now we are interested in building a crawler for competition. They are convinced on getting the Berg. To be different I’m planning to build an XR10.

Without wasting a ton of money! What electronics and upgrades do you suggest?

Thanks for the Help!
Skipdog
Skipdog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Suck it up!

First, try looking in the respective sections for whatever rig you want.

Second, see what everyone else is using.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As Duuuuuuude stated, read this..... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/ for info on the XR-10, especially the stickies at the top. This covers the basics of the rig.
From there, read the electronics section & wheels/tires for specifics.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Dude geting help on here is like pulling teeth most here have a smartass comment insted of help but good luck
mesooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooners View Post
Dude geting help on here is like pulling teeth most here have a smartass comment insted of help but good luck
Hopefully you don't consider the posts here (other than possibly yours) to be smartass.
We directed the OP to the rig specific thread instead of having questions in the electronics section when he's asking more rig specific questions....
From there, he can look for more info/comparisons on various electronics, wheels, tires, etc. in their own forum sections.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I found that regardless of the electronics the best upgrade is practice, practice and then more practice. Doesn't cost much and is the best bang for the buck to beating your friends.

A driver with great skills and average equipment will always surpass an average driver with great equipment.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I thought the above comments were very helpful. Without re explaining everything, they simply provided links with everything that would help him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I found that regardless of the electronics the best upgrade is practice, practice and then more practice. Doesn't cost much and is the best bang for the buck to beating your friends.

A driver with great skills and average equipment will always surpass an average driver with great equipment.
I have to agree that practice is important. But honestly having good equipment is part of enjoying the sport. The less time you spend worrying about the equipment you have, the more time you can spend enjoying what you are doing. Saving 20-30 bucks on certain parts is not worth the hassle of breaking and having to wait and order parts just so you can play again. Do it right the first time and buy what you can afford. Having the best, doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the best, but once you learn to use your equipment to its full advantage, you'll leave the other guys in the dust.

Last edited by jcboof; 02-12-2011 at 08:29 AM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I was going to say if you want to beat your friends, use a bat, but then they might not want to be your friends anymore.
tootallcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootallcrawl View Post
I was going to say if you want to beat your friends, use a bat, but then they might not want to be your friends anymore.
I was thinking the same thing, but figured I would get flamed for "not being helpful".......

Skipdog.......read some of the info available, then ask questions if something is not clear or possibly conflicting.
What one of us may find to be a great combo does not mean you will. Some of the basics are needed, from there it becomes personal preference as well as the terrain you run on.

And as AreCee & jcboof stated, practice is important. It allows driving to become second nature as well as show possible issues with any given set-up.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

LOL

Assholes.

The quickest wat to get an XR10 comp ready would be a single ESC Like a TM pro from Holmes Hobbies, or a Castle MMPro, 2 sport mototrs from HH, a decent radio like a FT 3pm, or Sptektum Dx3r, a punk dig and batteries tires etc.

But w/ a xr10, plan on sinking about $100-$200 in good money upgrading the transcases, plates, and stock gears.

Check out harley's thread here, and dont mind the speculative dick weeds. (myself included)
Harley's Complete XR10 Guide

then the VP trans thread. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269447

and the new RC4wd Bearing and case "conversion" as they call it RC4WD Transmission Bearing Conversion Kit

PM sombody, or just keep asking questions here or in a thread you start in the XR10 or newb sections

and if you get razzed w/ smart ass answers, dont get butt hurt and take it personal. its all in fun and YOU actually CAN razz right back.

EDIT: and change your fawking font color.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
Suck it up!

Quote:
I'm sorry. Come with me and you'll never have to use that pesky search button again...

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote