Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BRXL dead - brand new

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default BRXL dead - brand new

Issue is being handled by John Holmes right now. Everything should be fine and dandy, and just in time for Motorama.

-----------------------------------------

It appears as if my brand new Holmes hobbies brxl esc is dead. Why I am making this thread is not to bash at all, but rather see if this is something stupid that I'm forgetting or missing about the setup.

I've tried multiple motors, and channels and the esc will not power the motor. The lights are blinking to correspond throttle inputs and a faint noise can almost be heard from the motor but it will not spin.

Comments thoughts and ideas are appreciated. I got to figure this out before motorama next weekend.

Last edited by articzap; 02-13-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

pictures of your setup would help immensely.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Pictures of?
Old 02-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
It appears as if my brand new Holmes hobbies brxl esc is dead. Why I am making this thread is not to bash at all, but rather see if this is something stupid that I'm forgetting or missing about the setup.

I've tried multiple motors, and channels and the esc will not power the motor. The lights are blinking to correspond throttle inputs and a faint noise can almost be heard from the motor but it will not spin.

Comments thoughts and ideas are appreciated. I got to figure this out before motorama next weekend.
If you pm HH, I'm sure John will be able to answer your question better then anyone. I know he also stands behind his products, so I'm sure he'll get you taken care of by motorama, if at all possible.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
If you pm HH, I'm sure John will be able to answer your question better then anyone. I know he also stands behind his products, so I'm sure he'll get you taken care of by motorama, if at all possible.

Well said! alot of guys post up in here and get alot of speculative feedback since most people only put what they think is pertinant info in there posts which can leave out alot of important details.

Always go to the manufacturer for help first. Its by far better for all parties
Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Last I heard, he doesn't take PM's, emails are best. I'm pretty sure he'll see this thread though and get it figured out.

Quote:

Might sound dumb, but it's a simple mistake I know myself and allot of others have probably made in the past. The receiver plug off the ESC, are you sure it was plugged in the correct way?

Last edited by Reflection; 02-12-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

John is absolutly great to deal with,he'll get it taken care of one way or another !
Old 02-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
X'3 email John I know he will take care of you. I had a problem with a FXR I bought from him a while back and he took care of it quick.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to e-mail him now. I hope it's something simple. I have motorama this upcoming weekend and my ESC is dead.

Yes, the ESC is plugged in properly. I'm using at as a BEC too so the red wire is remaining.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Did you try reversing the channel? For whatever reason my comp radio (KO EX5UR) refuses to calibrate Sidewinders or BRXL's with the channel reversing set up per the manual.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Did you try reversing the channel? For whatever reason my comp radio (KO EX5UR) refuses to calibrate Sidewinders or BRXL's with the channel reversing set up per the manual.
Tried that too. It will bind to the receiver and calibrate fine. The lights flash according to the direction I pull the trigger, but it cost doesn't turn the motor.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

must be sun spots or something (the sun was actuality out today) all 3 of mine were giving me trouble today also. make sure that you have a fresh battery.i have found that it makes a difference on first setup/programing.if you need one for the weekend let me know i wont be needing them until i get back from vacation
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
RCC Addict

The batteries were at about 70%. I can try charging one up fully and see if it makes a difference. The Holmes Hold wasn't even activating. hmm.

Thanks for the offer, I might have to take you up on that. We shall see though.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

E-mail him! Mine didnt work, couple E-mails sent it back and I should get it back and day! Awsome guy to work with!!

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 02-13-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: removing email, dang spammers
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywker51 View Post
E-mail him! Mine didnt work, couple E-mails sent it back and I should get it back and day! Awsome guy to work with!!
E-mail was sent a while ago. We shall see what kind of customer service I'm given. I have a feeling I won't be getting anything in time for my event though.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 02-13-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Email back at you

Sounds like it may be dead, but there could be something else going on. Every ESC gets three load tests before they go out, so it was at least working when it left here.

Have you tried another motor? Are you getting audible arming tones from the motor? Faint noises could indicate a motor problem or an ESC problem. Do you have a voltmeter to see if there is output from the motor side?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
E-mail was sent a while ago. We shall see what kind of customer service I'm given. I have a feeling I won't be getting anything in time for my event though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Email back at you

Sounds like it may be dead, but there could be something else going on. Every ESC gets three load tests before they go out, so it was at least working when it left here.

Have you tried another motor? Are you getting audible arming tones from the motor? Faint noises could indicate a motor problem or an ESC problem. Do you have a voltmeter to see if there is output from the motor side?

Hmmmm, let's see, less then 12 hours later, an email back from the owner.
Why so skeptical? you've been here long enough, and pretty much everyone here can vouch for John R Holmes as being a stand up vendor, and person. His electrical knowledge in this area is also probably second to none here on RCC. Have faith, John will take care of you
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hmmmm, let's see, less then 12 hours later, an email back from the owner.
Why so skeptical? you've been here long enough, and pretty much everyone here can vouch for John R Holmes as being a stand up vendor, and person. His electrical knowledge in this area is also probably second to none here on RCC. Have faith, John will take care of you
I know he'll take care of the issue. But I have a national competition that I leave for Friday, Motorama. I just don't know if I'll have a new one in my hands in time. That's were I'm a bit skeptical.

No matter what though, John has incredible customer service and will resolve this issue.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #19

Quote:
I know he'll take care of the issue. But I have a national competition that I leave for Friday, Motorama. I just don't know if I'll have a new one in my hands in time. That's were I'm a bit skeptical.

No matter what though, John has incredible customer service and will resolve this issue.
I'm sure if it's determined it's a faulty ESC, John can priority mail you a new one within 2-3 days. He know's how important a National level comp is. I'm quite sure he'll help you if there's any way possible.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm sure if it's determined it's a faulty ESC, John can priority mail you a new one within 2-3 days. He know's how important a National level comp is. I'm quite sure he'll help you if there's any way possible.
That's all I can ask for!
Closed Thread