Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Glitching due to steering links?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Glitching due to steering links?

I'm trying to narrow down some serious glitching I'm getting before tomorrows crawling session and have been able to narrow it down to what seems to be the upper (from servo) and lower (tie rod) steering links. Has anyone had this isues before? I also changed out the Axial steering horn which has an aluminum washer type insert were the screw into the servo goes, for a crappy all plastic one off of my TC3. This has seemed to stop all the glitching for now but I don't want to get to the rocks tomorrow and it starts acting up again.

What I'm running=Tekin FXR, Integy 75t with caps, KO Propo 2144fet metal gear digital servo, BEC and a Losi 2.4 ghz spectrum. I switched to the losi from my 3 channel Hitec aggresor to make sure the Rx wansn't shot.
Just so you know what happens, when I throttle on the truck is fine goes forward like it should, same as reverse. As soon as I steer the servo the truck goes full force in reverse for varying amounts of time, and only in reverse. Now that I changed the servo horn to the plastic it seems to have subsided but not sure if there is something going on with the 2 steering links beng so close to each other.

Last edited by cagedcbr; 02-12-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: forgot some info
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

How is your antenna on your RX ran? You should keep it away from anything metal and away from the servo and ESC.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That's really odd. Aluminum servo arms and steering linkage shouldn't cause glitching. You most likely have a more serious problem that you've just temporarily hidden with the plastic pieces.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
That's really odd. Aluminum servo arms and steering linkage shouldn't cause glitching. You most likely have a more serious problem that you've just temporarily hidden with the plastic pieces.

X2 - I agree, something is going on there besides the servo arm. Make sure the ant. wire is covered by something all the way to the rec. I use fuel tubing or shrink wrap that is not shrunk.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Can you show us a picture of how the electronics are run (body off)?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Did you recently change anything electrical on the rig? I know others that have made a "simple change" only to have glitching issues.

I agree with the others, I highly doubt the aluminum bits are the issue.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Well the receiver I have temporarily mounted right on the top plate (AX10) just so is not near anything else, I tried several servos :2 of the KO 2144's, a cheap old Tmaxx servo and an old Futaba 3001 always the same issue. Oh by the way the antenna is only like 2 inches from originally Losi (taken from my LST) so it pretty much stands up in the air on it's own. I will try and get a picture.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I recently moved all my wireing around to hide it and got some glitching. The problem ended up being the receiver channel I used for steering. Something must have come loose inside. I use a 5 channel so I just switched from left hand steering to right hand. If you can try to switch your channels around and see if your esc glitches.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well I just removed the BEC all together and gave it a shot, just because my glitch actually got worse with it. I took it outside for a few minutes and not a single glitch I hadn't tried the spectrum rx without the BEC before, only my FM Hitec Rx. This seems to have solved my issue for now, at least it will get me crawling tomorrow. It will all be going into my new chassis this week so I'll get the BEC figured out when I switch everything over and make it all nice and tidy.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

When you had the BEC wired, I'm assuming that you had it running into the Battery connection of the RX. Had you removed the red wire from the ESC connector?

Anymore, when I run a BEC (which I have on all of my crawlers), I only power the servo with it. I use a Y connector with 2 female and 1 male end, and pull the wires from it such that it's laid out as follows:

- Female Connector 1: Has all 3 wires still in it. Servo plugs into it.
- Female connector 2: Has positive and negative wires in it (signal wire removed). BEC plugs into this.
- Male Connector: Only has signal wire in it. Plugs into steering port of Receiver.

With this setup, the BEC will power the steering servo only, yet the connectors on both the steering servo and the BEC are still in tact and you can unplug either for possible programming. I leave the red wire hooked up on the ESC and use it to power the Receiver. Make sure you program the BEC (or have it programmed) to 6v...or whatever voltage you want for your steering servo.

One other thing. What battery are you using to power the crawler?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Something else to look at is the FXR connections. Check the plug. I had a wire break at the plug but the sheath kept it in place. It was a difficult glitch to figure out. I figured it happened from plugging and unplugging it so much.

Also... if any of your ESC or Servo wires have little nicks where you can see wire, wrap those up.

Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote