Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: More Servo range of motion/arc - Hitec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default More Servo range of motion/arc - Hitec

Running a 7955TG and the range of motion/arc that the arm cycles through seems to real shallow, not enough to take the Super 300s in the Berg axles to their full articulation.

If i disconnect the servo arm, then the front wheels have about 4-5mm of travel at the knuckles, move that out to the edge of the wheel and that ramps up due to the distance away from the knuckle.

The servo is going through it's full range i.e. from stop to stop, but just seems that there should be more????? I've certainly seen more on rigs.
Cheers
vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If you get a servo programmer you can extend the servo's EPA's and get more steering, that's what I did.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

put a longer servo horn on it to get more travel
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
put a longer servo horn on it to get more travel
....and reduce the available turning force at the same time!

Re-programming the sweep is a better option.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Have you tried a bit longer servo arm?

I don't have a 7955 but another 300+ oz servo.
And that has now a fairly long aluminium arm and has more travel than I could want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
....and reduce the available turning force at the same time!

Re-programming the sweep is a better option.

Narly1
That can be difficult. If you haven't done it before.
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Do you have the hitec servo programer? If so you can adjust the range. Is the servo moving to full lock when disconected from steering arm? What about trying a longer servo arm?
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the comments! Don't want to run a longer arm as 1) it would then stick out much further than the axle and be exposed to every forward impact as well an issue when climbing 2) I'd lose some of the servos power with the longer arm - I have a 1" servo arm so ive tried

The programer if it's like the Castle Field programer and PC app will be fine, just looked at the price though "shock"

Might need to save the pennies and pony up for one ....gulp!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka child View Post
Thanks for the comments! Don't want to run a longer arm as 1) it would then stick out much further than the axle and be exposed to every forward impact as well an issue when climbing 2) I'd lose some of the servos power with the longer arm - I have a 1" servo arm so ive tried

The programer if it's like the Castle Field programer and PC app will be fine, just looked at the price though "shock"

Might need to save the pennies and pony up for one ....gulp!
The programmer I have was $25.00.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Clicky:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWCE8&P=7
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Yep, thats the one I have.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Yep, thats the one I have.
Same here.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Phew!! just did a Google search for Hitec servo programer and the one that comes up is something like $150!! Thanks for the link to a cheaper version
Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Phew!! just did a Google search for Hitec servo programer and the one that comes up is something like $150!! Thanks for the link to a cheaper version
Sure thing.

I tried RPP first but Corey surprisingly doesn't have them.

If you can find it through an RCC vendor go there first
Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

makes sense man, keep the RCC vendors with the business after the job most of the vendors i've dealt with have hooked me up
Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Wasn't able to find a vendor on the site that sells the unit, any ideas guys?

I placed an order with Tower but what a joke of a company, I would tell anyone thinking of ordering with them to stay away. Having ordered the programer they contact me to ask for confirmation of my phone number and the address the credit card is billed to. After providing that, they then reply telling me to scan in my credit card and photo ID and email those details over to them.

I called my bank and the payment had already been taken and varified by Visa, so they had the funds with the bank processing it straight away. I've cancelled my order with them and instructed them to remove all my details from the database.

The total oder inc postage was just over $30 US, they had the money, but wanted more personal details than any web company or even actual high street store I have ever used inc during the weekly international travel that my work entails. An utter joke of a company i'd never want to shop with someone who makes it that hard to purchase 1 item, esp after they have ALREADY got the money from my bank!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

With that servo programer you will have to have a receiver battery to plug into the programer to power it while programing a servo, and you have to turn on the fail safe option in order to get full throw of the servo.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I placed an order with Tower but what a joke of a company, I would tell anyone thinking of ordering with them to stay away. Having ordered the programer they contact me to ask for confirmation of my phone number and the address the credit card is billed to. After providing that, they then reply telling me to scan in my credit card and photo ID and email those details over to them.

I called my bank and the payment had already been taken and varified by Visa, so they had the funds with the bank processing it straight away. I've cancelled my order with them and instructed them to remove all my details from the database.

The total oder inc postage was just over $30 US, they had the money, but wanted more personal details than any web company or even actual high street store I have ever used inc during the weekly international travel that my work entails. An utter joke of a company i'd never want to shop with someone who makes it that hard to purchase 1 item, esp after they have ALREADY got the money from my bank!!!
When none of the RCC vendors have what I am looking for, which is rare, I buy stuff from Tower and have never had an issue at all. Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope the programmer is the solution to your problem.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
When none of the RCC vendors have what I am looking for, which is rare, I buy stuff from Tower and have never had an issue at all. Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope the programmer is the solution to your problem.
+1, I have been using Tower Hobbies for over 10 years, never went through what you are going through.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/hitec-hp...er-p-2104.html

CKRC has one, but it's $36.99. Last time I cancelled an order from Tower it took almost 2 weeks before the money went back in my acc. I just turn my CC BEC down to 6v and plug it into the programmer instead of a receiver back.

Last edited by 456heinbach; 02-14-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: messed up link
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

It's quite possible that this is happening because you're not State side.

Tower does accept Pay Pal, so if you have an account that may be the way to go.