RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Is my motor toasted? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/299735-my-motor-toasted.html)

day215 02-14-2011 06:58 PM

Is my motor toasted?

I run an integy 45t lathe motor, it ran a little hot on me the last time I comped, it smelled a little toasty but wasn't smoking. It seems to stall on me fairly easily now, I took it apart and the comm didn't look burnt, just a nice copper color with a few wear marks from the brushes. How do I know when its a goner? I don't want to throw money into another, I'm waiting for an axle breaker from brood or a crawlmaster 550 from Holmes.

EddieO 02-15-2011 12:14 AM

Sometimes you can heat the windings to the point the motor looks fine, but is toast....typically it will seem to work fine at lower voltages and loads, but the moment you put a big load on it, it will stall out......

I would try to rebuild it with a comm cut and new brushes, see if that helps out....

Later EddieO

day215 02-15-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieO (Post 2928450)
Sometimes you can heat the windings to the point the motor looks fine, but is toast....typically it will seem to work fine at lower voltages and loads, but the moment you put a big load on it, it will stall out......

I would try to rebuild it with a comm cut and new brushes, see if that helps out....

Later EddieO

That's exactly how I would describe things, it does ok under most circumstances but if I get in a bind it just stalls out. I'm going to day it a dead duck at this point.

EddieO, you seem to have a huge selection of Crawler motors, aside from comparing specs side by side for each type, is there a quick guide on what the different types are ie: creep vs.type r vs. Type r/s etc.?

EddieO 02-15-2011 09:10 AM

Copied from a previous thread....

Type R=7.5mm Comm
Type T=9mm comm
Type R/T=10mm Comm
Type R/S=3mm web arm
Type GT=5.5mm web arm
Type S/S=Slotted armature
Type HHK=Big Wire Arm

Big comm typically will produce more torque, but slightly less power and RPM....

Smaller comm typically will produce more power and RPM, but less torque.

The difference however is fairly small. It's mostly a feel thing that allows you to fine tune your motor to your liking.....

Bigger comms typically take longer to break in brushes too, as they are cut for the 7.5mm small comm.....

2 Magnet Can=More Torque, Less RPM, more efficient, Better Drag Brake

4 Magnet Can=More RPM, More Power, Better Low Speed Resolution, Less Drag Brake

Onslaught= 2 magnet can with round brushes.....based off the Checkpoint Teardown.....popular with the scaler guys, but is a very stout crawler motor too.....can only use the 7.5mm comm size.

Apocolaypse=2 magnet can, laydown brushes. Very popular with the MOA guys and shafty.......sees a decent amount of scaler use. Uses all Comm Sizes

Creep = 4 magnet can, laydown brushes......mostly MOA guys, but again sees use by the shafty and scalers....Uses all comm sizes

Later EddieO

articzap 02-15-2011 09:51 AM

I'd highly recommend broods. I love epic's that were re-worked by Eddie.

day215 02-15-2011 12:00 PM

Perfect, that was way more than I could have asked for. Thank you guys"thumbsup"