Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Scaler servo help needed..ASAP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scaler servo help needed..ASAP

I have two Hitec 7950th servos for my class 3 scaler build. One is new and one is out of my 2.2 comp rig after about 3 comps on it. So I set out adding waterproofing to the oringed servos as everyone says they need more than the orings provide, and these babys are too expensive to toast.....so I carefully disassembled them to coat the boards in silicone, and filling the cavity next to the motor. I reassembled them while resetting the o rings, and let them dry.....To find them both locked up. So disassembly showed silicone had got around the motor pinion, and in the lower gear.. I cleaned them out and see the one gear that is driven by the pinion appears to be chipped, and the other was fine.....I put them together....the one with the questionable gear runs fine quickly....but twitches if moved slowly......the other spins to one side and locks solid regardless of wheel position.....So I'm feeling really disgusted in feeling that I trashed $250 of servos.........What I was attempting to prevent.....so where should I go? Two more servos like them, and use these for parts???? Traxxas waterproof servos?????
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I have two Hitec 7950th servos for my class 3 scaler build. One is new and one is out of my 2.2 comp rig after about 3 comps on it. So I set out adding waterproofing to the oringed servos as everyone says they need more than the orings provide, and these babys are too expensive to toast.....so I carefully disassembled them to coat the boards in silicone, and filling the cavity next to the motor. I reassembled them while resetting the o rings, and let them dry.....To find them both locked up. So disassembly showed silicone had got around the motor pinion, and in the lower gear.. I cleaned them out and see the one gear that is driven by the pinion appears to be chipped, and the other was fine.....I put them together....the one with the questionable gear runs fine quickly....but twitches if moved slowly......the other spins to one side and locks solid regardless of wheel position.....So I'm feeling really disgusted in feeling that I trashed $250 of servos.........What I was attempting to prevent.....so where should I go? Two more servos like them, and use these for parts???? Traxxas waterproof servos?????
You used silicone inside the servos? Because you're not supposed to use silicone. When it dries it hardens. Youre supposed to use dielectric grease and not alot or it will make them really slow.
rod-211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Second that one.

I would have packed the cases with DiElectric Grease and dipped them in tool dip, add an O'ring and it is water resistant.

I wouldn't have used those servos, there are less expensive, high torque servos out there that wouldn't hit the pocket book as bad if ruined. 486oz is overkill for a scaler.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I found this out the hard way myself by using marine (waterproof) green grease. The stuff is great and is all I run, but a little goes a long way. Too much and your steering starts to look like a little old lady is behind the wheel (i.e. slow and un-reactive). Double check your bottom pin is in the right position on the one that locks to one side. I agree, kind of expensive servos to tinker with. I do run a 400 oz/in on my scaler, and it helps out in the comps a lot. These scalers are heavy and need a lot of torque to get the wheels pointing the right way!

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

So what does everyone use for scaler servos? The traxxas 2075 puts out 125 oz of torque, which is really weak. Is there any better options?????
Old 02-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

5645 2 of them, and I keep a spare set of gears. I chipped a tooth off of one this past weekend.

If those are junk, send them my way, and I'll work till my fingers bleed trying to get them going again.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
5645 2 of them, and I keep a spare set of gears. I chipped a tooth off of one this past weekend.

If those are junk, send them my way, and I'll work till my fingers bleed trying to get them going again.
How are they with water?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Best choices for waterproof scaler steering servos.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote