Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX3R charge port question/issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
cherry bomb

Default DX3R charge port question/issue

I finaly got around to making a charge adapter for the DX3R, I know that its polarity sensitive, checked it with my voltmeter aswell as my charger (reverse polarity protection) so I picked up some 1.5v 2000mah AA's and slam them in and it was showing good voltage so I was happy, I wasn't convinced they were fully charged from the factory so I hooked it up and set my charger to NiMH 0.5a charge rate.

everything was going smooth, sat and charged for about 3 min, then I heard a cell fail (i'm pretty sure 3 of the 4 failed)

I cleaned the battery area of the radio best I could and slapped in some normal AA's to make sure it was still working wich it is, I just don't know what I could have done wrong.

the only thing that comes to mind is over charging the cells but it should have cut off at peak before a failure

the question I guess is, are you guys using certain battery's when you use the charge port?

the charger I was using is a Electrify Triton EQ if it matters.

Last edited by fred0000; 02-18-2011 at 08:43 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

To be honest with you, the DX3R is the easiest radio on batteries I've ever owned. I get at least the 1st half of the season (6 comps) plus scaler time in with 1 set of regular alkaline batteries. I never saw a need to use the charge port and rechargeables.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
To be honest with you, the DX3R is the easiest radio on batteries I've ever owned. I get at least the 1st half of the season (6 comps) plus scaler time in with 1 set of regular alkaline batteries. I never saw a need to use the charge port and rechargeables.
thanks, it's been great on battery's like you've said, I just thought it would be kinda cool to take advantage of the feature, i'm not to sure I want to try it again, unless others pipe up with their success using the DX3R's charge port with their battery chargers.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I use rechargables but charge them externally. I have a couple AA/AAA chargers so I never bothered making one to plug in.

BTW: the 2200 mah AAs I use hold their voltage steady a lot longer than alkalines. It'll stay at 4.8 to 4.9 volts for a couple crawl (two classes) and race (three classes) days.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i read a thread bout two years ago, but i'm not sure but i think the 1/8" plug that goes in the plug there the normal positive part of the plug should be the negitive with the DX3R radio for some reason....i could be wrong and check before trying that....that's the reason i didn't go chargables in mine was the reverse poles on the plug it needed to be....like i said i could be wrong so double check before trying it that way, check there website and/or even call spektrum.......bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I use rechargables but charge them externally. I have a couple AA/AAA chargers so I never bothered making one to plug in.

BTW: the 2200 mah AAs I use hold their voltage steady a lot longer than alkalines. It'll stay at 4.8 to 4.9 volts for a couple crawl (two classes) and race (three classes) days.
if I do decide to get some new rechargeable AA's i'll charge them in a reciever pack AA case incase of failure.. again, dont want anymore of that crap in my radio.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i read a thread bout two years ago, but i'm not sure but i think the 1/8" plug that goes in the plug there the normal positive part of the plug should be the negitive with the DX3R radio for some reason....i could be wrong and check before trying that....that's the reason i didn't go chargables in mine was the reverse poles on the plug it needed to be....like i said i could be wrong so double check before trying it that way, check there website and/or even call spektrum.......bob

Center is negative.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Center is negative.
sure is, I double/tripped checked before trying it, and after the failure, the charge cord is correct
Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
cherry bomb

i've decided to try it again, this time i'm going to wait and run down the batterys and try a full charge instead of "peaking" them.

i'll be charging them in this the 1st couple times to see how it goes, I don't want all that crap in my radio again.