Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Which Spectrum...DX2S, DX3R, or DX3S?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Which Spectrum...DX2S, DX3R, or DX3S?

I've been reading around here alot about radios lately and kinda narrowed it down, but still need some help. I'm rebuilding my Axial Ax-10 setup Sportsman class mostly for play and maybe occasional comp. I also have a Slash 4x4 with Mamba Monster and a TL Micro DT. I've always used Futaba or Airtronics radios and currently using the stock Traxxas 2.4 Link tx and Losi AM stock radio. Which Spectrum radio should I go with and why (mainly for my Axial crawler, but also for my other current and future rc)....DX2S, DX3R, or DX3S?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Defy Gravity

going to want to go with the dx3r, only one in your list that has a 3 position 3rd channel in your list. the 3 pos is useful if/when you run dig. in the axial, the dig will have lock-freewheel-4wd, and with the 2 pos switch that is in the 3s you wouldn't be able to utilize the dig to the fullest. in the future if you were to decide to go moa, you could then run front and rear dig as well.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

stick with futaba

get a 4pl cheaper then dx3r and more capable
jeepcj776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Don't anticipate using dig...not sure I really need 3rd channel...haven't used or wanted it in years of rc and crawling.

Don't like Futaba's ergonomics and the FHSS (frequency hopping spread spectrum) is just a gimmick, it was originally created for secure communication ie. police radios to help prevent eavesdropping, not reducing interference. FHSS has no advantage against interference unless somebody was maliciously trying to interfere with the signal.

DX3S comes with 2 receivers which is a plus and is cheaper than DX3R (I don't need the servo it comes with.)

Last edited by Natedog; 02-19-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

when i was going to buy a radio i read all and came to the decision to get the DX3R with there 3100 RX, mine didn't come with a servo so i don't know bout that post reply....i seen people use the 4PL 4PK or what the model is and see them fumbling all over the radio to activte the 3rd channel with all kinds of beeping going on ....plus it just looks too big clumsy to handle, then i held my friends and whole hell it is heavy ....with just my thumb i can use two buttons on my DX3R to use 3rd channel and no body can tell when i use it now if/when spektrum comes out with a DX4R or DX5R that will be the same as there DX3R now....that will be the top radio for a long time in a pistol grip radio ..........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

dx3r............

roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the help....lookin for DX-3R.