Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: budget axial xr 10 electronics sidewinder v2 esc punk dig losi rtr 540

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default budget axial xr 10 electronics sidewinder v2 esc punk dig losi rtr 540

Hey guys, I'm building an xr 10 on a budget. I was planning on running a castle sidewinder v2 esc, punk dig, losi night crawler rtr 55 turn motors, and dx3e radio,2s lipo. I know I will not have proportional dig with this setup. I have done a fair amount of research and I have not found anything that would indicate there would be a problem with this set up other than it just being cheap. If there is anything I have missed or you have experience with a similar setup let me know. I will be running a cc bec also. thanks guys.
bikerj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks like some great choices! This should get you started just fine while keeping the cost down and not settling for junk at the same time. The only concern I would have is the 55 turn motors. This is nothing to do with the quality, just the speed. You may want to find some 45 turn motors as an alternative. You could also future-proof a bit and get a 2nd sidewinder for about the same price as a dig switch. You would then just need an extra $20 for a novak "the dig" (or of course one of my adapters, but that isn't why I am responding). Now you just need to choose a servo!
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Defy Gravity

i wasn't impressed at all with the lnc stock motor myself, pretty nutless, and on top of that its a throw-away motor (non-rebuildable). could probably find some integy lathe motors for about 20-30 bucks a pop.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
Looks like some great choices! This should get you started just fine while keeping the cost down and not settling for junk at the same time. The only concern I would have is the 55 turn motors. This is nothing to do with the quality, just the speed. You may want to find some 45 turn motors as an alternative. You could also future-proof a bit and get a 2nd sidewinder for about the same price as a dig switch. You would then just need an extra $20 for a novak "the dig" (or of course one of my adapters, but that isn't why I am responding). Now you just need to choose a servo!
thanks for the response, I was a little concerned about the wheel speed with the 55 turn also, it's not like im competing though. As for servos I think i will be goin with the hitec 7954, one other question, I did'nt think your adapter worked with the dx3e, i thought it had to be the dx3r.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Defy Gravity

he has one out for the dx3e too :thumbsup: wantasummit is a pretty busy guy
Old 02-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
he has one out for the dx3e too :thumbsup: wantasummit is a pretty busy guy
is this the adapter that will work with the dx3e ?

wantA3tp-3pTX (3-position to 3-True-Position adapter)

if so, will this just allow for dig function with two esc's or will it allow for proportional dig with the dx3e

just tryin to make sense of what these adapters do and with what radio
Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Defy Gravity

DIG Switch alternative this is what he was saying for the dual esc dig (at least i'm reasonably sure, i'm not him so i do not know for sure) i know he was modding dx3e's for proportional dig, but would appear that is no longer selling the kits to do so, advise a pm to him on that...just wading through the threads on everything he has to offer.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
DIG Switch alternative this is what he was saying for the dual esc dig (at least i'm reasonably sure, i'm not him so i do not know for sure) i know he was modding dx3e's for proportional dig, but would appear that is no longer selling the kits to do so, advise a pm to him on that...just wading through the threads on everything he has to offer.
thanks man, it's starting to make sense now, just trying familiarize myself with all the options and what they all cost, kind of a lot to take in coming from a losi mrc
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Alternatively you could run 3s and get more pep from the motors. I agree that 55t is a bit slow on 2s for most people. Great for learning without breaking parts though.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

What you need to do is get wantAsummit's dual esc adapter instead of the 3 position switch. Then you won't need a punk dig and you will have proportional dig with your radio.

Dual ESC Adapter (Proportional + Dig) for DX3R or 3PM-MX
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Alternatively you could run 3s and get more pep from the motors. I agree that 55t is a bit slow on 2s for most people. Great for learning without breaking parts though.
not breaking parts is definitely why I was thinking 2s for now, don't have the money for the vp trans just yet, I will look into some affordable 45 turn motors though.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj08 View Post
is this the adapter that will work with the dx3e ?

wantA3tp-3pTX (3-position to 3-True-Position adapter)

if so, will this just allow for dig function with two esc's or will it allow for proportional dig with the dx3e

just tryin to make sense of what these adapters do and with what radio
Sorry for the confusion, I really was just trying to respond to your thread rather than sell something.

My dual-esc adapter is here (there is only one and if fits both needs):
http://wantasummit.com/DualESC.aspx

It can be used by a radio with just a 3-position 3rd channel such as your DX3E:
DIG Switch alternative
This would provide front/rear dig & 4-wheel-drive. When in 4-wheel-drive, you can set your favorite front/rear bias via a trim pot on the adapter.

Or when used by a radio with a fully proportional 3rd channel such as a DX3R:
This would provide front/rear dig & anything in between.

Remember, it is the same adapter. If your radio has more capability, the adapter follows along and will have more capability as well.

I do also think Novak's "the dig" will work for you if you don't want any proportional ability and want to save a bit on the cost.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
Sorry for the confusion, I really was just trying to respond to your thread rather than sell something.

My dual-esc adapter is here (there is only one and if fits both needs):
http://wantasummit.com/DualESC.aspx

It can be used by a radio with just a 3-position 3rd channel such as your DX3E:
DIG Switch alternative
This would provide front/rear dig & 4-wheel-drive. When in 4-wheel-drive, you can set your favorite front/rear bias via a trim pot on the adapter.

Or when used by a radio with a fully proportional 3rd channel such as a DX3R:
This would provide front/rear dig & anything in between.

Remember, it is the same adapter. If your radio has more capability, the adapter follows along and will have more capability as well.

I do also think Novak's "the dig" will work for you if you don't want any proportional ability and want to save a bit on the cost.
ok great, thanks for your time, starting to make sense now
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #14

Would the xr10 be ok on one sidewinder sv2 and a punk? And 3s lipo and 2 55t motors? Or would it heat up?
weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #15

I built mine on the cheap by running what i had in my other trucks. 2 sidewinders( a little tight in there) and 2 novak 55 black cans. i was planning on upgrading my radio soon anyway so i bought a 4pl and it has been running great. I would def look into a 2nd sidewinder instead of the dig. Its the smae prcie roughly
Stickys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickys14 View Post
I built mine on the cheap by running what i had in my other trucks. 2 sidewinders( a little tight in there) and 2 novak 55 black cans. i was planning on upgrading my radio soon anyway so i bought a 4pl and it has been running great. I would def look into a 2nd sidewinder instead of the dig. Its the smae prcie roughly

What diference will 2 make?
Im not lokking for proportional and i wanted to use the dx3e
weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

if you get two esc's and the above mentioned wantasummit adapter you would be that much closer if or when you want to go for proportional dig. All you would need is a radio with a fully proportional 3rd channel (dx3r) or just a 4 channel radio.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by weroliera View Post
What diference will 2 make?
Im not lokking for proportional and i wanted to use the dx3e
No more clod stall.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #19
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
No more clod stall.
not true, this is the original reason I decided I wanted 2 ESC's clodstall is still an issue

i'm gunna have to agree with everyone though, go with dual ESC's right off the bat, you can get some micro mamba's for a reasonable price, some people run micro sidewinders (me included) and they can be had pretty cheap, there was a pair in the classifieds not to long ago for $75
(mamba 25's, they are the same thing) I havn't ran mine on 3S yet, but i'm confident they will hold up, i'm using 45t motors.

Last edited by fred0000; 03-04-2011 at 10:20 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Hmmm, it must be because running one battery. The power is taking the easy way out. I think its time to test and see if it goes away with two batteries. One per esc. I know its a stupid idea, but I want to see if it changes things.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote