Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Better option for Castle BEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Better option for Castle BEC

Im just about fed up with the castle BEC ive had my 4th one burn up for no reason. This time i put the truck on the ground drove about 2 feet went to turn started to then stopped. Looked down light was out, dead. Its pretty annoying that these things shit out so easily. What else is there to use besides the castle products.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

see this thread... Blowing CC BEC's
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've had the same one in my 1.9 scaler for 2 years. In fact, I've never had one burn up on me (8 of them over 3 or so years)....sure you're installing them correctly?

*edit: Thanks for that thread Killswitch, some good reading.

Last edited by War Pig; 02-21-2011 at 06:16 PM.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I think that Castle has a serious component issue with them. I just killed another one today in a CC01 and it was brand new too. The only one I have that still works is my OG one that IVe had for years. There was no binding, the truck wasnt even on the ground when the light went out and it quit working.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yea im just glad that it quit now i guess, the next time ill be running the truck is for a season points win. Just another thing to worry about now. Maybe ill go back to running a 2 cell with no bec anymore lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Figured id update put a new bec in earlier today, ran 2 packs through it well 1 and a half because it didnt make it through the second pack. This time i was actually crawling but still no reason it should just quit. Ill have to be calling castle soon see what they say.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I've had the same one in my 1.9 scaler for 2 years. In fact, I've never had one burn up on me (8 of them over 3 or so years)....sure you're installing them correctly?

X2, been running with the same ones for a year 1/2 now with no issue
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Seams to be hit and miss these days if you get a bad one. My original BEC is still going strong, it's 3yrs old now and pushing a 7950 that's direct wired to the servo on a 6.3lb rig.
I had one recently that smoked at start up and the light flickered away. (trust me, it was wired just fine and not touching anything it shouldn't.) The replacement they sent was wired in the same way and it lasted for about a 1/2hr, no smoke but the light just went off, it was instantly dead. I just got another replacement for it and have yet to wire that one up.
I do have anohter new one that I put into a differnt rig (a dual steer 2.2 Bully) and it's got about and hours use on it. It seems to be fine but still, it's only set at 6V.
My trusty old one is set at 7.4V for the 7950. The one that lasted 1/2hr was also set at 7.4V but was powering a 7980.

After talking with Castle, they are going to get a 7980 servo and run a data logger on the BEC to find out if there's an issue with the amount of amps the servo is pulling at full power. I'm wondering if I need to give the BEC 8.4V so the servo can take as much as it needs with out damaging the BEC.
Case being that the max might be what is best for this servo.

Still to consider though, is that it was only checking it's motion on level ground when it went south and had not been bound up at all during it's testing.

I'm more curious if it's just not a quality or component supplier issue. Either way, I feel confident that they will continue to recitfy the issue and hopefully get to the bottom of what is causing so many short life failures these past 4 months.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yea i was in a bit of a rush earlier so ill go into a little more detail now.

I got this bec and tried to wire it up how i have it in my other truck, plugged into the receiver and then pulling power wire from esc. This gave me steering but the throttle was very weird. If id give it throttle slow it would go no problem if i just punched it it would cut out and light on bec would go out. So i said f it and wired the power from the bec to the steering how i had it set up all season on this truck. Worked perfect no problem.

Now my other truck is wired through the receiver, and has been working for years like this was on a heavy bully truck for ever now its in a light losi.

Both trucks are running cs170 servo and weigh just over 5lbs and the bec is not cranked up at all 6 volts max, makes no sense to me in any way why these are doing this other than just being bad. Also it seemed now and with the last bec that if i had the steering cut one way and hit the gas it would straighten out for a few seconds then go back to full lock.

Things are just very frustrating knowing i have a lot riding on my next comp and i do not this stupid part going bad for no reason. One just on flat ground and other while actually in the air with my belly hung up on a rock steering quit.

Guess ill be calling castle monday to calmly explain my pissedoffedness to them... yea thats right im making up words now.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

That's a bummer but calling Castle is the right thing to do.

Like the guys below I have 2 CC BEC from almost the first batch that have had no problems and I use a 4S pack for certain conditions. Your issue is extreme and unexplainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
X2, been running with the same ones for a year 1/2 now with no issue
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Yea i was in a bit of a rush earlier so ill go into a little more detail now.

I got this bec and tried to wire it up how i have it in my other truck, plugged into the receiver and then pulling power wire from esc. This gave me steering but the throttle was very weird. If id give it throttle slow it would go no problem if i just punched it it would cut out and light on bec would go out. So i said f it and wired the power from the bec to the steering how i had it set up all season on this truck. Worked perfect no problem.

Now my other truck is wired through the receiver, and has been working for years like this was on a heavy bully truck for ever now its in a light losi.

Both trucks are running cs170 servo and weigh just over 5lbs and the bec is not cranked up at all 6 volts max, makes no sense to me in any way why these are doing this other than just being bad. Also it seemed now and with the last bec that if i had the steering cut one way and hit the gas it would straighten out for a few seconds then go back to full lock.

Things are just very frustrating knowing i have a lot riding on my next comp and i do not this stupid part going bad for no reason. One just on flat ground and other while actually in the air with my belly hung up on a rock steering quit.

Guess ill be calling castle monday to calmly explain my pissedoffedness to them... yea thats right im making up words now.

I have been fighting the exact same issue with my 10A BEC's for a while now. I have went through about 6 of them and have not been able to find any problems with my truck or wiring. I just sent three bad BEC's into Castle for them to check in engineering. They sent me 3 new 10A BEC's, but I am paranoid about even trying them in my truck again. I have the 20A Pro BEC in my truck right now and it works perfectly and has for the last three weeks. I am still of the opinion that there is something going on with the components on these new BEC's. I had an older BEC in my truck that lasted 2 years before it got wet and went out and I have had nothing but problems with the newer ones.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Anyone ever try the novak BECs they are only 5 and 3 amps but i really dont know how many amps are required for this kind of stuff. Id just like to find a replacement that isnt the size of another esc.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Anyone ever try the novak BECs they are only 5 and 3 amps but i really dont know how many amps are required for this kind of stuff. Id just like to find a replacement that isnt the size of another esc.

The only BEC that nohack has that is capable of more that 2s lipo input is their high voltage one. Its only 3amp output...no where near enough for the servo's crawlers are running these days.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

alright thanks puts an end to that idea lol