Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Savox sc-0251mg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Savox sc-0251mg

Hey guys, I'm building an SCX10 Honcho kit right now and am in need of a steering servo, anyone have any experiances with the Savox SC-051MG? It's rated at 222oz at 6v and states that it is ok to run up to 7.2v. I have 3 SC-1256tg servos that are fantastic an super fast. Here is a link to the servo I am interested in http://www.savoxtech.com.tw/file/SC-0251.pdf, it shows the operating range to be 4.5v-7.2v so that would put this thing near the 300oz mark at around 7.2v. I am thinking about filling the servo with dielectric grease to waterproof it as well but i'm not to sure if I just fill the top where the gears are or the top and bottom. Thanks for any insight guys. Kurt.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i just put this in my honcho build. I will say after I filled it with dielectric grease it is a little sluggish on speed to say the least/ really slow. I will see if it gets better over time. I am still building so haven't got allot of time on it
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks, maybe i'll skip filling it then as the speed already had me wondering if it was going to be fast enough. You could try running a cc bec at 7v and see if that gets some of the speed back and it will also boost the torque rating up.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

have you run your servo at 7 or 7.2v. I was wondering if you had any issues.
After i went to a brand new 3s lipo the servo came alive. It got faster. I am thinking of giving 7.2v a try and wondered what voltage you were running yours at now.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
I'm a stupid C U N T!

the savox servos are great servos for the price. Solds hundreds of them without issue
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

im coming around on it. you ever run any at 7 or 7.2v
according to spec sheet you download it says 4.5v to 7.2v but all websites with it for sale list it at 6v. don't really want to fry it but want to try and bump it up
Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Haven't got mine yet so I cant tell you if its ok however I dont see how the manufacturer would put up a false spec on there own product. Also, there is your backup if warranty becomes an issue, but I guess thats the chance we will have to take to find out. I would maybe try bumping to 6.5v and keep an eye on the temp of the servo, i'm assuming if it doesnt get too warm it should be ok but I am not servo guru. Let me know what your findings are, also I would take some of that die electric grease out and just pack it around the spline entry and that should give the same effect but allow your gears to move a little more freely.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

dielectric grease has oozed out near spline quite a bit so the servo has freed up a bit.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #9

Don't think Im going to dielectric grease route, but got mine fairly recently, paid abour R399 here in S.A, which is quite affordable. Be as it may, a very nice servo, not the fastest, but its sturdy and strong, and seems to work really damn well for a crawler. Just needed to get used to the constant clicking/feint buzzing since I didn't have a digital servo before :O
Not even using a bec, just straight off the stock AE-1 esc :/

Just one question, where did you get that pdf link from?
I only see them referring to 6V
http://www.savoxusa.com/ProductDetai...Show=TechSpecs
mbvdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
RCC Addict

from here http://www.savoxtech.com.tw/product.htm
Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have wondered about Savox for a while. The 251 looks decent for the price. Is it brass, steel or other gears? Pics look brass?

Does Savox actually make them, or other?

discgolferlee, how much grease did you pack in there?
On my 645MGs, I usually fill it about half full of silicone grease, around the main hub. Sandwich an Oring under the arm, that compresses, but slides in the spilling silicone.
Then I spray the outside seams a couple times with spray Plasti-Dip.
The speed decreases a small amount but is barely noticeable.

The one time I filled one up, I cooked it after a couple runs from the torque against the gears.

Last edited by sweli; 03-11-2011 at 01:48 PM.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

packed it full around gears but it has oozed out a ton. i got no o-ring because im afraid it will cause binding. I also COATED the seams and whole servo casing with liquid tape.

so I got me another cc bec tonight and I am debating firing this puppy up at 7.2 or not. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
I have wondered about Savox for a while. The 251 looks decent for the price. Is it brass, steel or other gears? Pics look brass?

Does Savox actually make them, or other?

discgolferlee, how much grease did you pack in there?
On my 645MGs, I usually fill it about half full of silicone grease, around the main hub. Sandwich an Oring under the arm, that compresses, but slides in the spilling silicone.
Then I spray the outside seams a couple times with spray Plasti-Dip.
The speed decreases a small amount but is barely noticeable.

The one time I filled one up, I cooked it after a couple runs from the torque against the gears.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
packed it full around gears but it has oozed out a ton. i got no o-ring because im afraid it will cause binding. I also COATED the seams and whole servo casing with liquid tape.

so I got me another cc bec tonight and I am debating firing this puppy up at 7.2 or not. LOL
Oh come on it only 40 bucks! lol jkjk but seriously someone needs to be the tester of this, I'm still waiting for mine in the mail damn canadian customs are brutal!!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #14

Been testing out in the wild today, 40 degree sun, no bec, straight off the ESC. It worked well on my AX10, more than enough power, definitely fast enough, and was even strong enough to move some loose stones around :P This is only day 2, but a great servo so far, and definitely as much as I am willing to pay for one.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
Oh come on it only 40 bucks! lol jkjk but seriously someone needs to be the tester of this, I'm still waiting for mine in the mail damn canadian customs are brutal!!
next week i should have time to get bec wired up and gonna test at 7 volts
Old 03-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #16

7 sheesh. I don't have the nutters to do that. Ive run mine at 5 today (Axial stock crawler servo). And Im considering the XL5 esc which is 6V, but 7! Aikona.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

mbvdl-

99% or more of servos run at 6v????
this servo according to their spec sheet runs 4.8-7.2v

spec sheet below from manufacturers website
http://www.savoxtech.com.tw/file/SC-0251.pdf
Old 03-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Ok... hate to do this but... how can I get more volts outta my Outcry dual motor? I have the same servo. I havent done anything to it. I got my new 4PL and my 645mg just seemed waaaay slow. So I went with this one. "Seems" a lil faster??
sabohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabohead View Post
Ok... hate to do this but... how can I get more volts outta my Outcry dual motor? I have the same servo. I havent done anything to it. I got my new 4PL and my 645mg just seemed waaaay slow. So I went with this one. "Seems" a lil faster??
The outcry's external bec is set at the factory for 6v so if you want to get more out of it you need a castle bec instead because it is programmable using a castle link or a field link. I used to just take mine into the local hobbyshop and get them to program it free of charge whenever I wanted a change until I bought a field link.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvdl View Post
7 sheesh. I don't have the nutters to do that. Ive run mine at 5 today (Axial stock crawler servo). And Im considering the XL5 esc which is 6V, but 7! Aikona.
This servo is designed for 6v, get that sucker moving a little faster and you'll have even more torque out of it than you do now.