Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spectrum Radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Spectrum Radio

Well guys, I am looking at getting a new radio and reciever. I am tired of my old 2 channel traxxax am radio glitching and not allowing me to go with dig. I currently have a ax-10 with a hh br-xl esc running on 3s and a 45t motor. I would like to eventually get a dig unit, but before I go out and buy one, I want to get a radio that is capable of controlling it. I was just on rpp hobby and was looking at the spectrum DX3E radio and really liked the price and features that it comes with. I know that a lot of people are going to say to go with the more expensive model spectrums, but I don't really have the need to spend $300 on a radio that is only going to be linked to one crawler. Just wanted to know peoples thoughts about this radio and if it is worth buying. From the video on youtube, it looked like you could adjust just about everything. And as far as the DX3S goes, it seems like it has a lot of features that us crawler guys would not use. Just want to know what the general oppinoin is on the DX3E. Thanks in advance.
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The DX3E is a good sport radio. As far as more expensive radios go, I love my DX3R, but if I were in the market for a new radio now I'd have to look hard at the Futaba 4PL, it has a lot more bang for the buck and it is about $100 cheaper ($250 at Tower).
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have both the DX3E and DX3R. The dx3e is a very good value and works great. the adjustments are limited and Dial controlled. Also the 3 position 3rd channel switch is on the back and in a poor spot. Still a great radio setup.

The DX3R is very well made and offers a ton of digital adjustments. There are a few differant micro switches that can be set for dig or anything else. It works very well, but as you know is expensive. If you got one it would probably be the last one you would need for a very long time.

I have not owned anything other than Spektrum, just my 2 cents on those two.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Being a Futaba guy, I run a 3PM-x on a 2.2 Bully with 1 ESC and a servo dig. My son runs a 4PL on a shafty.
The 4PL RX's are cheaper (if you do more than 1 vehicle) but the 3PM-x is cheaper to buy for a single rig.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've been using the DX3E on my comp shafty for 6-8 months now. I will admit that the 3rd channel toggle is in a bad place, but it's not terrible after you get used to it... plus there are a few mods/hacks (like the wantasummit hack) that can help you relocate the switch and really extend the capabilities of the Tx.

Bottom line, for a single rig on a budget, it's a good buy. Looking back though, I kinda wish I'd sprung for the 4PL now.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

DX3E all the way! you can even find them in the for sale section from time to time
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

thanks for posting this i am thinking about buying a dx3e to. they seem to be a nice radio for the money.
muddigger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well I went ahead and bought one yesterday. I will get it set up and let u guys know what I think of it. The way I look At it, I don't have enough money to fully build one crawler let alone a few, so model memory is not all that big of a deal to me. Very excited to get it and try it out. Now if only vp could get their dig system back in stock, I could buy one and test the 3pos dig switch.
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote