Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PL vs. Airtronics MT-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 4PL vs. Airtronics MT-4

Thinking about a new radio for MOA dual esc, was wondering how these two radios compare?
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Was wonderin the same thing cause i seen the airtronics on sale in the RPP vendor section
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crY7y0iNkvY

seen this vide on you tube, the little lever looks pretty cool
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My experience with airtronics has been pretty much meh. Like them better than JR/Spektrum but not much. It's an okay radio but won't do what the 4PL does. Unless you really want telemetry I would go 4pl.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you are going to use it in a super then get the 4PL. The MT-4 work great for dual ESC set ups. It also has a easy to read screen for the proportioning, the PL does not. The four wheel steer is only front, only rear, or a mix of the two. No independent control on the steering.
Just set this up in the wife's crawler and it works great.
Psycho
Psychomonkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

tried to find 4PL for my new XR10 today but no stock in all stores, I have seen the MT4, looks very promising.......anyone wish to share the experience on MT4 running MOA?

how about the setting of dig/proportional?
rover901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomonkey RC View Post
If you are going to use it in a super then get the 4PL. The MT-4 work great for dual ESC set ups. It also has a easy to read screen for the proportioning, the PL does not. The four wheel steer is only front, only rear, or a mix of the two. No independent control on the steering.
Just set this up in the wife's crawler and it works great.
Psycho
unless you set it up on a dt button and and not haveing it mixed togetther
i think the 4 pl has really easy screens to read the only thing i dont like about it is its hard to make other models in its memory or its just me

i have seen the MT-4 and the guy said he liked it but he only runs indoor and he has not tryed it with a crawler
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If you are going to use it in a super then get the 4PL. The four wheel steer is only front, only rear, or a mix of the two. No independent control on the steering.
Psycho

That's too bad to hear. Thanks for providing some useful info on this.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
unless you set it up on a dt button and and not haveing it mixed togetther
i think the 4 pl has really easy screens to read the only thing i dont like about it is its hard to make other models in its memory or its just me?

It will work like that but I think it is a pain in the butt to use that way.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Taking a quick look at a PDF of the manual it looks like you can use the Dial for proportional control of two ESCs and the Lever to “override” the Dial for immediate front or rear dig (what they call burn and dig). If that is the case this could be the MOA radio to get. Especially if the dial has a center position so you can find where you are at without having to look at the screen (where you can “feel” when you have hit the midpoint when turning the dial so you know when you have equal power going to both motors). I am looking forward see more information on this.
jlsandkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crY7y0iNkvY

seen this vide on you tube, the little lever looks pretty cool
It does look cool. I've been thinking new radio lately and I was warming up to the 4PL. I've had good luck with Airtronics in the past. But I've never been a very willing volunteer for expensive new toys, I generally have a wait and see attitude. So if I had to have a new radio tomorrow I'd have to put my money down on the 4PL.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsandkes View Post
Taking a quick look at a PDF of the manual it looks like you can use the Dial for proportional control of two ESCs and the Lever to “override” the Dial for immediate front or rear dig (what they call burn and dig). If that is the case this could be the MOA radio to get. Especially if the dial has a center position so you can find where you are at without having to look at the screen (where you can “feel” when you have hit the midpoint when turning the dial so you know when you have equal power going to both motors). I am looking forward see more information on this.

You can set it up that way. You can also just use the lever. It is varible to position. It is touchy that way. I have it set up on two of the trim switches and they are easy to adjust from the steering wheel.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
You can set it up that way. You can also just use the lever. It is varible to position. It is touchy that way. I have it set up on two of the trim switches and they are easy to adjust from the steering wheel.
Yeah, I'd use the lever instead of the dial since the lever as a detent at the center as well as an audial beep so you can feel and hear when it's back to center. It's also not self-centering and will stay at whatever position you put it.

I just picked up the MT-4 today so I'm still learning, but so far I'm really impressed with it, especially for the price.
FarmerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i have the 4pl and it is very easy to set up. The new software is great.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I would like to see a video demonstration of this radio controlling dual esc's
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
when you get to the ceter of the dial it will make a different noice then of it was not in the center
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
I would like to see a video demonstration of this radio controlling dual esc's
look in Harley's 4PL tips and Tricks theard he has a vid
Old 02-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
look in Harley's 4PL tips and Tricks theard he has a vid
I was talking about the Airtronicsc radio, not the 4PL.

I've already got the 4PL on order.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
sim
Quarry Creeper

Played with the radio at the LHS. Couldn't figure out how to get independent (or at least independent direction) 4WS in the 30 minutes I was there. Didn't RTFM though. I don't think you can reach the dial without letting go of the steering and the lever is a twitchy little switch to use for dual esc mix so neither is particularly useful as far as I can tell.

The price is nice, and I like that I dont have to send it back for an update but I'd probably miss the 4WS as we don't comp here (yet).
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
RCC Addict

If you already have a DX3R you can get a wantAmix made by wantAsummit, and do all the mixing you want for 40 bucks.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote