Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help, just got a sidewinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help, just got a sidewinder

I searched and cant figure this out.

I go through the calibration and it seems to except it all, but at the end I get a solid yellow light and no forward or reverse.
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Are you running brushed, brushless?

They usually come programmed for brushless.

Get a friend with a castlelink or a trip to the hobbystore and they can hook you up.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid plate View Post
Are you running brushed, brushless?

They usually come programmed for brushless.

Get a friend with a castlelink or a trip to the hobbystore and they can hook you up.

JC
Im brushed, Thats kinda what I was afraid of. Can I change it with the Tx?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yes you can the manual shows you the steps on how to do it.
but programming/setting up the esc would be alot easier if you got a castle link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Penetration Fab. View Post
Im brushed, Thats kinda what I was afraid of. Can I change it with the Tx?
infamouse_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamouse_1 View Post
yes you can the manual shows you the steps on how to do it.
but programming/setting up the esc would be alot easier if you got a castle link.
I am trying to figure out how to do this, but the stupid beep is so quiet I have pretty much have to hold the thing to my ear. I don't understand how to get it into setup mode.

And i really dont want to have to buy a stupid castle link, I would have just got the torque master if I wanted to spend that much money. I am about to smash this thing with a hammer. Why do they make such an advanced/complicated unit, and then not include a way to program it without spending more money.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

the torque master is the same process on setting up and also uses the castle link also.
once you get the hang of it, everything would be smooth from there.
infamouse_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamouse_1 View Post
the torque master is the same process on setting up and also uses the castle link also.
once you get the hang of it, everything would be smooth from there.
Ya, but it is not brushless capable so atleast I would be able to play with it. And if I really wanted to I could buy the link to fine tune it.

I Have tried to fallow the directions to go through the setup process and I cannot figure it out. It is the same as the calibration set up?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

They don't include the CC link with ESC's first to cut down on cost and be able to sell the ESC for less and second because most people don't need one with every ESC they buy. If 20 bucks is going to break the bank for you maybe you should find another hobby.

Sorry, but not using the castle link and complaining about not be able to program the ESC is like complaining your truck kit didn't come with the screwdriver's to put it together.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
They don't include the CC link with ESC's first to cut down on cost and be able to sell the ESC for less and second because most people don't need one with every ESC they buy. If 20 bucks is going to break the bank for you maybe you should find another hobby.

Sorry, but not using the castle link and complaining about not be able to program the ESC is like complaining your truck kit didn't come with the screwdriver's to put it together.
So, by your statement, Most people to not need a screwdriver to put kits together?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Kick back tonight and call CC tech tomorrow.. They are a great help.. If you got one of the old sidewinders some got shipped out with a problem of not being able to program from the ESC... I got one of those a while back and they mailed me the link for free...... but I still know how you feel ...
crawl187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
RCC Addict

If your close enough to the hobby store, they will usually program it for no cost.

Just make sure you have someone doing it that knows about crawlers, then test it while your there if you can. Make sure your happy with the set-up.
Friends come in real handy. A beer usually makes them happy and they will spend the time to make sure it's done the way you like it.

Be patient, don't get mad at it yet. Otherwise I hate to tell you about all the fun your gonna have tryin to break it while pullin off some of the most amazing things you thought your little truck wouldn't ever do.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RC Crawling................

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid plate View Post
If your close enough to the hobby store, they will usually program it for no cost.

Just make sure you have someone doing it that knows about crawlers, then test it while your there if you can. Make sure your happy with the set-up.
Friends come in real handy. A beer usually makes them happy and they will spend the time to make sure it's done the way you like it.

Be patient, don't get mad at it yet. Otherwise I hate to tell you about all the fun your gonna have tryin to break it while pullin off some of the most amazing things you thought your little truck wouldn't ever do.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RC Crawling................

JC
I have been into Rc crawlin for quite a few years now. Just always had an old school super rooster Till i drove it into some water and smoked it, lol.

Anyway, I finally figured out how to program it, but now it still wont work. Before the motor would make a little noise if I gave it throttle, now nothing. I tried re calibrating it and even tried a different radio system. I am stumped.

It still is really annoying how quiet the beeps are. My buddy has and older mamba max, and it is wayyy louder then this.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

If it is a new Sv2 sidewinder the white wire is the negative wire.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I bought one and went to program it with the radio. No beeps from the "brushed" motor. Hmmmm. OK, I'll count the flashes all the way to motor type. What a PITA. Well I get to the motor type and tell it that this is a brushed motor. It ignored me.

Contacted Castle, turns out that they had a batch of sidewinders with a glitch and wouldn't take stick programming. They sent me a free Castle Link to program it. It works great now but you still can't stick program it. (I wish they had sent the field card instead ).
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Penetration Fab. View Post
So, by your statement, Most people to not need a screwdriver to put kits together?

whatever you think
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I also believe that you cannot stick program the drag brake to 213% (Crawler Brake) with just stick programming.....it requires the Castle Link.

I believe that most people stick with a certain brand of controllers when the build a truck/car. I know that all of my cars/trucks run Castle products...so spending the $20 definitely gets the cost spread with each new ESC that you get. I have 8 Castle ESCs.....so the cost of the Castle Link is only $2.50 per ESC. Definitely worth the small cost for all that flexibility.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I remember when I had this same problem. I had just got my first scx 10 built and had dropped about $650 into my truck kit, radio, and all my electronics. I still have my sidewinder esc. I was soo frickin pissed when I couldnt play with my new toy after all that money. After 2 days of searching I finally found out that it was stuck in brushless mode. then I found some one in my town who had a castle link. He programed it for me and I was happy. I seriously was about to throw the darn thing in the garbage and forget about rc's. but I am so glad I didnt now that I look back.
slammin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote