Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Robitronic Motor Dyno

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Robitronic Motor Dyno

Bit of an odd on this and not strictly crawler related but I thought some of you guys might be able to help me out. I've been thinking aboit selling my motor dyno bit I'm not really sure what it really worth.
I did a bit of googling and found some adds for them at as much as $700. I know a lot of you guys have been at this RC stuff for a lot longer than me so figured you might be able to value it for me.

I am it's second owner (LHS was the first) and aside for the home made fly wheel cover it looks pretty much new.

Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

I know when they came out I saw more of Trinity's version of it at tracks. Mostly price tag kept it out of some peoples grip back then, ones I saw were around 700-1000.

EddieO would probably have better info on it, as well as some of the veteran racers turned crawlers.

Last edited by Robbob; 02-26-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

These were the second best dyno out. Its similar to the Fatnom, but can actually test at 7+ volts. Its software was pretty good, especially if you got the windows version. I still use one to this day, lots of crawler motors go through it.

Trinity imported them for a while.....around 2005 or so, I became the US importer of it. I sold a few of them....

I still have a brand new one I never sold......along with the 3 the shop used.

You can convert them to work with brushless motors....

Value wise, this is where it gets sad......$75 to $150 at most........I recently bought one with a laptop and battery from a local for $75.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Value wise, this is where it gets sad......$75 to $150 at most
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Its a weird system too.....as this dyno is better than a fantom by far, but the fantoms are worth more ($100-$175) still. This is mainly because A. Fantom is USA, so getting support is easy. B. Its the dyno of choice for the silvercan racers, as they are teched by RPM C. The fantom can be converted for slot car use, as not only is a custom flywheel and fixture available, but the software is available for the slots...

Later EddieO
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

What are the reasons that this dyno is better than the Fantom Eddie? You mention it, and now I am curious.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
... better than the Fantom Eddie?
Quote:
These were the second best dyno out. Its similar to the Fatnom, but can actually test at 7+ volts
There's my guess.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Fantom's can be modded for 7v or higher.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

That's why I used the word guess.

Now I will wait and then learn.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I've only ever seen one fantom modded to 7v and that was Troy's personal unit. I asked about getting mine upgraded and it was impossible to get anyone to do it. I noticed the software at the time, did not even go up to 7volts, especially the commercial software. When I asked the Decco software guy about it, he basically told me I was an idiot for even wanting to test a motor at 7 volts. He claimed it would damage the motor........he also told me that 7 volt software was not and never would be available. I guess he failed to realize almost all cars used 7 volts....

So unless some miracle update has happened.....I may of missed it, as I don't upkeep tabs on dynos I rarely if ever use....

Even then, the Robitronic was always the more accurate unit in my opinion. There are too many ways to trick a Fantom....Robi's software was better, as were the graphs it can do....I personally liked how the unit and motor fixture are separate units. The Robitronic can also be used without a laptop.

Hobbytalk and RCcars.com both had large threads, by some huge dyno junkies comparing the two, look for posts by Dynomhum (something like that). He found numerous quirks with both of them, but he always went back to his Robi.

That being said, many people have been successful in tuning with the fantom.....the unit is well made and fantom is an excellant company.

In the end, the Turbodyno is the best unit out there, especially for a crawler motor. What most people fail to realize is the Fantom and Robi both don't actually measure the torque, but make a formulated guess based off other numbers to determine it. Doesn't make a lot of sense to guess on crawler motor what the torque is....

Later EddieO
Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I miss my Robi dyno. I miss my turbodyno more... My two biggest regrets of my carpet racing sell off. My biggest complaint with the fantom was the fact that every time I tried to dyno anything below a 10 turn it would take a dump and blow the FETs. By the time it was all said and done, I spent $650 on a $500 dyno so I could send it back twice, then sell it for $400. I know where a turbodyno is locally, but the guy just wont come off of his stuff.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Value wise, this is where it gets sad......$75 to $150 at most........I recently bought one with a laptop and battery from a local for $75.
I guess I'll keep it then thanks for the info though.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
I guess I'll keep it then thanks for the info though.
Are you sure you don't want to sell?
RudolfXC is offline   Reply With Quote