Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HELP! Programming Futaba 4PL w/ Novak M2 dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Arrow HELP! Programming Futaba 4PL w/ Novak M2 dig

Hello everyone - I purchased my 1st higher-end crawler & I'm having programming probs. I've been trying to program my Futaba 4PL to my Novak M2 dig system to no avail:

1) How do I get the front & rear dig to work?
2) How do I get that fxn to work on the DT.2 rocker switch? And, while we're at it...
3) How do I get the proportional rear motor dig on my DL 1 dial?

I've read 27 pgs of the 4PL thread w/ no luck. I've read the entire manual, but it's a little over my head since this is my 1st programmable radio. I would really appreciate any help that anyone has to offer. Harley, are you in the mood to make a video on the M2 dig system?? I know you don't like that ESC, but that's what I have.

Thanks!
justinoiochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I don't think Harley will support something he doesn't believe in so I would bet the how to for the M2 to be a no go. I could be wrong though as this is just my guess. He is very helpful though.

I no nothing about the M2 dig but do have a 4pl I have had success with. Does the M2 dig have two ESC connectors on it so that one goes to throttle and the other to the 3rd channel? If not in what way does it access a 3rd channel for the dig function?
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

Thanks TexasSP for the reply. Yah, the M2 Dig has a input harness for the throttle and one for the 3rd. channel. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

Just a shot in the dark since im a newb to the electric scene and just recieved my xr, but does your radio have the updated software? I also have the m2 system that ill have to figure out.
Ortayga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Thanks Ortayga. To the best of my knowledge, the update is only reqiured if your running with two ESC's. Maybe Harley, or someone else can shed some light on this.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #6

Dont know if you seen this thread, but this build has the m2 with a 4pl. Maybe he can give u some tips. Woodchuck XR10

I'm lookin at the 4pl, so i might be in the same situation in the near future.
Ortayga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinoiochoa View Post
Thanks Ortayga. To the best of my knowledge, the update is only reqiured if your running with two ESC's. Maybe Harley, or someone else can shed some light on this.
Since the M2 is 2 ESC's in one case, I would treat it like 2 seperate ESC's, thus the 4PL programming revision would likely help you.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks TexasSP for the reply. Yah, the M2 Dig has a input harness for the throttle and one for the 3rd. channel. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
If that is the case it should just plug into the third channel and from factory third goes to the three position switch just behind the steering wheel. Have you tried it that way?
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
20K Club

I would honestly make a video to show how to use the M2 esc if the Novak instructions didn't suck so bad. I don't own one (and think it is a huge POS) so I don't really have a way to check it.

You are correct though, the new programming is not required for the functions used by the M2. If I could get clear directions for what is needed I would make a video.

Also, when questions on the 4PL come up don't make a new thread. Post all questions in the 4PL thread and I will get to them quickly. I don't really see all the new threads in this section.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #10

Thanks evryone for the replies. Thanks Harley, I know you don't like the M2 Dig but thats all I have for now,cant spend any more money right now the Wifey woul kick my a**. I know how to program the switches, but can't figure out what to progam in them. So the search continues. Also thanks Harley for the heads up on posting 4PL questions in the 4PL thread, makes since now. New to the game, learning the ropes.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
If that is the case it should just plug into the third channel and from factory third goes to the three position switch just behind the steering wheel. Have you tried it that way?

Hey TexasSP. I do have the throttle input harness in the 2nd channel and the 2nd input harness in the 3rd. channel. Can't figure out what to program into the switches? Thanks for the help. Have to keep playing with the programing.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortayga View Post
Dont know if you seen this thread, but this build has the m2 with a 4pl. Maybe he can give u some tips. Woodchuck XR10

I'm lookin at the 4pl, so i might be in the same situation in the near future.
Thanks Orteyga for the link. Just sent Woodchuck a message.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
to the game, learning the ropes.
No worries man, just want to help out as quickly as possible and hate when I don't see questions someone asks me.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I got a call from a concerned member of this forum, Thanks Mr. Verticle, that there was some guidance needed.

Feel free to email me directly csuangka@teamnovak.com with your M2 Questions.

The use "ALL" the features of the ESC here it goes.

1) You need to have a single 3 POS Switch operating the 3rd Channel
2) You need to have a Trim tab set to the 3rd Channel.

That's it.

Do the one touch setup of the ESC.

Then Change profiles to the Biasing Profile (if you want that)

Then, it should work.

I can't say I know specifically what settings on the radio are needed, but it's all very basic from what I understand of radios in general. Simple stuff here is the idea. No mixing, not fancy anything, just a 3pos Switch and a trim for that channel. Simple.

Like I said, if you have questions directly about what is not working for you, or you need further explanation then this, Please Simply Email Me Directly. csuangka@teamnovak.com

Thanks Guys
Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I got a call from a concerned member of this forum, Thanks Mr. Verticle, that there was some guidance needed.

Feel free to email me directly csuangka@teamnovak.com with your M2 Questions.

The use "ALL" the features of the ESC here it goes.

1) You need to have a single 3 POS Switch operating the 3rd Channel
2) You need to have a Trim tab set to the 3rd Channel.

That's it.

Do the one touch setup of the ESC.

Then Change profiles to the Biasing Profile (if you want that)

Then, it should work.

I can't say I know specifically what settings on the radio are needed, but it's all very basic from what I understand of radios in general. Simple stuff here is the idea. No mixing, not fancy anything, just a 3pos Switch and a trim for that channel. Simple.

Like I said, if you have questions directly about what is not working for you, or you need further explanation then this, Please Simply Email Me Directly. csuangka@teamnovak.com

Thanks Guys
Charlie

Thanks, Vertical, for sending Charlie my way. OK, I figured it out. I decided to start all over. Turns out, My ESC wasn't programed correctly (I figured that one out 3.5 hrs. and three beers later). Good to go now. I do have a qustion reguarding programming, though. I want the proportion dig. In order to do that, I need the Novalink, right?

p.s. Thanks to everyone for your patience & kindness! I'm still a newbie
Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I had proportional dig on my m2 and i had the 4pl. Just go to the menu and set the dt3 and dt4 to channel 3 and set one of them to about 10%-15% and then you will have proportional. If I remember right..
lipbr302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbr302 View Post
I had proportional dig on my m2 and i had the 4pl. Just go to the menu and set the dt3 and dt4 to channel 3 and set one of them to about 10%-15% and then you will have proportional. If I remember right..
Thanks man. I would really like it on my DL1 dial so I can adjust on the fly. I need to look into the Novalink for mor info. Iam having a lot of fun with it now, way more capable than my AX. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

the dl1 dial is not precise and shouldn't be used for on the fly adjustments, i have propo on my m2 on the top switch (dt1?) i have it set to 3% per tick, i get about 6 ticks before it's a full lock (while going slow). then i have the back switch (dt2?) for 100% for the 3rd channel.

I dont have the radio in front of me, so i don't know if i am using the right switch numbers/names.

the only thing i wish i could do is have the grip button turn only rear dig an and off.

and Harley, although i know you think the novak is a POS, you're here representing a company, and your attitude reflects on that company, regardless of your opinion, you should project a more professional attitude.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I would honestly make a video to show how to use the M2 esc if the Novak instructions didn't suck so bad. I don't own one (and think it is a huge POS) so I don't really have a way to check it.

You are correct though, the new programming is not required for the functions used by the M2. If I could get clear directions for what is needed I would make a video.

Also, when questions on the 4PL come up don't make a new thread. Post all questions in the 4PL thread and I will get to them quickly. I don't really see all the new threads in this section.
I agree the instructions suck
jrcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
and Harley, although i know you think the novak is a POS, you're here representing a company, and your attitude reflects on that company, regardless of your opinion, you should project a more professional attitude.
I told him that I would make a video if I could tell what the instructions in the M2 said. They are terrible. Trust me I think I have a solid hold on how to act to represent the companies that back me.