Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Charging LiPo batteries question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Charging LiPo batteries question

Had a trawl through the forums and haven't found an answer to this specific question. I've got a ProluX Digi-Charge 104, which i'm using to charge up my 800mAh 11.1 3 cell lipo. Set up the charger as follows:

Set to charge, put A setting to 800 and the v setting to 11.1, plug in the start button, the charger checks the battery type then starts to charge. You can instantly see the current battery levels i.e. the drained level, VERY quickly the number ramp up so in as little as 3-4min the A figure is hovering just under 800 and the V just over 11.1, I can't believe that the batteries are charged that quickly, if i take them off charge at that point and try to use them they run flat in only 1 or 2 min - as i'd expect.

So the question is, is there a rule of thumb for actual charging time? I don;t want to leave for hours and have them blow up, but I do want to fully charge them and I know a few mins isn;t going to do this.

Any advise, even if you don;t have the same charger, just a rule of thumb you work to for charging your 3 cell Lipo batteries
Cheers
Darren
vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Are you sure that your charger doesnt require the peak voltage (for 3S is 12.65V) to be input in the charger?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure how the programming is setup in that charger, but on mine I would set the charger to .8 A on that size pack.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good catch IB, yeah....that charger gives the current in A....not mAh. Althought, not sure how he was getting it set to 800A....
http://prolux.com.tw/product.php?mod...&cid=5&pid=150
Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

balance lipo charger will stop charging when reach 4.2 volt per cell. if set at just charging without balancing, it will stop 4.2 x number of cell which is 12.6v at ur case. it may end up one cell a bit more than others.

i always set it to balance charging instead of just charging that will not overcharge any cell to insure the maximium life of the lipo as lipos dont like to be overcharged or over-discharged.

i never leave lipo alone while charging or putting in lipo sack while charging. they can be set on fire if not charged properly. heard some people burn down house overcharged their lipo.

just my 2 cents, take wisely. read ur charger manual, it helps
kk_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Good catch IB, yeah....that charger gives the current in A....not mAh. Althought, not sure how he was getting it set to 800A....
http://prolux.com.tw/product.php?mod...&cid=5&pid=150

does not look like it has balancing charger function. need a balancer then
Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. It isn;t a balance charge, but that isn't a must, it's a nice to have and wouldn't effect the issue i'm seeing - i've read a bunch of threads on this and it's a split as to whether you need to balance at each charge or not, so don't want to open that can of worms

Trying to find the user manual online but hadn;t thought about the max charge point Jeremy thanks for the tip. The A and V are all preset numbers you scroll through the options and chose the ones the match your battery, set to charge to discharge and away you go.

Just trying to get a feel if you guys find your lipo batteries take 10min to fully charge or 60min etc
Cheers
D
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk_kk View Post
does not look like it has balancing charger function. need a balancer then
Good catch there too! If you don't have a balancer...you need one!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka child View Post
Just trying to get a feel if you guys find your lipo batteries take 10min to fully charge or 60min etc
Depending on the rate, it should be somewhere between those times. My 850's usually take 30 minutes or so at 1C when they are close to the low voltage cutoff limit....
Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #10

i charger my 1C charge rating 1300mah 2 cell lipo at 4A balance charging. fully charged in about 15 mins

btw, the A u output from ur charger is more regarding to ur lipo charge capability. some lipo takes up 5C, some just 1C, if set at 0.8A it will take a long time

Last edited by kk_kk; 03-02-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Bingo, just what i needed to know, cheers guys
Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Keep in mind, you can put ~80-90% of the voltage back into almost ANY battery fairly quickly, the last little bit takes some more time.

Balance charge most of the time for LiPO is HIGHLY suggested.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote