Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: C Ratings on Lipos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default C Ratings on Lipos?

I am about to order up some more lipos for my 11 pound KOH rig and also my AX10 as my current lipos are getting weak and one puffed.

I understand just a little on C ratings...for instance on a 4000mah 30C burst....you would just use the C as a multiplier to the mah rating.
4000 x 30 = 120000/1000 = 120A. From what I gather higher C ratings are better built cells?

Also I am assuming burst rating is full throttle from a stand still and continuous rating is how many amps are being unloaded?

When ordering lipos for comp rigs what burst/continuous C ratings should I look out for?

Btw I am running a BRXL on the KOH rig and a Sidewinder on my AX10.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

C stands for the CAPACITY the battery can hold , a higher C rating is more capacity. a 30c holds more than a 20c therefore when you floor the throttle you would get a bigger punch off the line with a 30c
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
C stands for the CAPACITY the battery can hold , a higher C rating is more capacity. a 30c holds more than a 20c therefore when you floor the throttle you would get a bigger punch off the line with a 30c
You are incorrect, the C rating is not the capacity, mah is the capacity.
Please read this thread:

While testing Elite against others we found big C Rating trickery
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Alex, get you some cells that have a 60-100 amp continuous rating and you will be fine.

So if you use a 4000mah cell you want something around 20c continuous (don't get too distracted by burts ratings), if 3000mah 20c will still be fine. If you go down to 2000mah you want something at least 30c.

Of course if you run two smaller packs in parrallel like two 1500mah packs they can be 20c as when in parallel the c doubles. In series the c rating stays the same and the voltage doubles.

Just don't waste your money on maxamps batteries, overpriced and underperform. I can tell you thins from experience with multiple packs over the years from them.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the info Brian. I've been seeing most people using Rhino, Turnigy, Zippy, or Flight Max...any specific brands yall like better with cost/performance?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I prefer for higher drain uses to get hyperion or flightpower packs. For the lower stuff rhino and turnigy are fine. I did just start ordering from this place:

www.hobbypartz.com and have been very happy. They are in the US which is a bonus over hobbycity. I have 3 4s packs for the losi crawler that have been great so far.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIG_RIDER View Post
You are incorrect, the C rating is not the capacity, mah is the capacity.
Please read this thread:

While testing Elite against others we found big C Rating trickery
took it straight from the manual , mah is the lenght of the run time
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
What manual? C rating has nothing to do with capacity at all, it has to do with discharge rate which is multiplied by capacity (mah) to get the actual discharge rate both continuous and peak.

Don't care who says different because they are wrong.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I got some Blue Lipo batteries from hobbypartz.com and they are flippin awesome!! I have 3s 5000maH 30c batteries. It frickin rocks!! I actually just got it in today through the mail. Its my first lipo so I am a little frightened when it comes to charging it but i think I will get the hang of it. I dont know much about storing and discharging and all that. but heck it was inexpensive.
slammin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Runtime, AKA Capacity. Maybe you have an asian battery and some of their "manuals" have funky translations.

Try this USA company (also a vendor here & my preferred supplier of RC batteries).... http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?si...&apage=faq.asp C & MAH is about 1/2 way down.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin1984 View Post
I got some Blue Lipo batteries from hobbypartz.com and they are flippin awesome!! I have 3s 5000maH 30c batteries. It frickin rocks!! I actually just got it in today through the mail. Its my first lipo so I am a little frightened when it comes to charging it but i think I will get the hang of it. I dont know much about storing and discharging and all that. but heck it was inexpensive.
Read these FAQ's....... http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?si...&apage=faq.asp
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=Charlie-III;2968693]Runtime, AKA Capacity. Maybe you have an asian battery and some of their "manuals" have funky translations.

you could be right it is an asian manual sorry if i screwed anyone up
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Noob question here, but what is the s rating. my ESC can handle 2s rating, I have not seen where this is mentioned. I went to the cheap battery site, but just saw it in the battery catalog page.
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickGood View Post
Noob question here, but what is the s rating. my ESC can handle 2s rating, I have not seen where this is mentioned. I went to the cheap battery site, but just saw it in the battery catalog page.
2S lipo or 7.4 volts(3.7 x 2)
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
RCC Addict

S represents the number of cells in series. So 2s is 2 cells in series, when there is a p it represents the number of cells in parallel.

Series increases voltage while parallel increases capacity.

Each cell is worth 3.7 volts under load (which is 4.2 volts fully charged with no load). So a 2s pack is 7.4 volts and a 2s limited ESC is usually limited to around 8-9 volts.