Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: XR10 ESC & Motor Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #1

Default XR10 ESC & Motor Combo

Ok before it is said, I know search, search, and search. With that being said I am going to be building an XR10 using the BJ V4 chassis, I am having a hard time to determine what ESC’s and motor combinations to run. As with any other build price point is a concern as this will not be a world class crawler but I would like to try to build it as capable as possible. So what would be the best bang for the buck when it comes to motor/esc combo’s, taking into account things like size, heat, programming, vendor support, 4s capable and price. The plan so far is as follows,

Chassis – BJ V4 (Acquired)
Axles – XR10 stock (Yet to Acquire)
Wheels – Stock XR10 narrowed (Yet to Acquire)
Tires – Rovers and foam from Crawler Innovations (Acquired)
Lower links F/B – From Crawler Innovations (Acquired)
CC 10amp BEC (Yet to Acquire)
ESC’s - ? FXR or HH BR-XL or CC Mamba micro pro 1/18 ???
Motor’s – ? Tekin 45T or HH 45T or Team Brood 45T ???
Transmitter - Futaba 4pl (Yet to Acquire)
(Greg) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

for esc i would choose the mamba micro pro because of size and smooth throttle being a castle product or fxr and either hh or brood 45t on 3s not 4s
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

Why not go 4S ?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

you could if you need crazy wheelspeed but you are more likely to break parts and of your choices the hh brxl is the only one rated to handle 4s. the fxr can if you upgrade the cap but its not warrantied if you run 4s iirc. and the xr10 with 45ts on 3s geared right has decent wheelspeed
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Greg) View Post
Why not go 4S ?
Well, mainly because most crawler type esc's out there can't handle 4S lipo. Plus the motor maintenance would be increased dramatically.

Typically the most common setup is a good brushed/brushless esc with 35-45T on 3S lipo.

The Mamba micro pros are super small, very programmable and have good power handling along with the best low speed crawling i've encountered.
The HH BRXL's are another great speedo, these are capable of handling 4S lipo without a problem. They are a little larger than the mambas as well as a little more expensive. But they are definitely worth the money!

The Holmes Hobbies 35T or 45T motors would be a great choice, John is a standup vendor on this site and his products work very well. His customer service is top notch as well. He carries the mamba micro pros on his site as well. So he would be able to take care of your Motors AND Esc requirements.

There are plenty of other great setups out there too, but for best bang for your buck, the mamba micros are hard to beat. The tekin FXR is also a great speedo, just a little more money though.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Following other people's lead, I switched to a pair of Mamba Micro Pros about a month ago, and am also using the 4pl. It is a GREAT setup. I run 45T Handwounds on 3s. Like has been said, it is VERY smooth. The drag brake is superb, and the weight savings in the chassis is very noticeable. I do find that a little more wheel speed would be nice....so I am working on getting another set of motors. Yes...I do run a Bully....but it is a lighter setup at 5lb 10oz, and this electronics setup is fantastic.....I am certain that in your even lighter XR10 that the benefits will be even better.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #7

Are these HH motors any good? they seem to have a reasonable price.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hh-sp45.htm
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Greg) View Post
Are these HH motors any good? they seem to have a reasonable price.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hh-sp45.htm

They are good motors. I run these in a 35T in my Honchos, and they do just fine. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. These are machine wound armatures, so you get what you get. The handwounds are the better choice, for sure.

I would say this. If you are just bashing around and having fun, the sport motors would probably be just fine. If you are planning on competing, then I would buck up for a nice set of handwounds. Holmes and Broods are probably the ones most guys on the forum run, both are fantastic products and great product support.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

If you are going for the HH sport, I would just go ahead and get Br00ds. HH hasn't had the sports in for a while.
Dillpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #10

Default Question

Can i run a single mamba micro pro and 2 motors with a punk dig or it kant handle it or what?
I dont need proportional
weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
for esc i would choose the mamba micro pro because of size and smooth throttle being a castle product or fxr and either hh or brood 45t on 3s not 4s

Could it be one esc or does it need to be 2?
weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by weroliera View Post
Could it be one esc or does it need to be 2?
Sheesh......if you run a single ESC (provided it can carry the motor load......dual crawler motors are usually fine with a single ESC) you need either a PunkDig or a servo dig.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote