Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LCC, MMP, Novak 21.5 motor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LCC, MMP, Novak 21.5 motor question

This question is more geared towards the Novak motor.. I did some searching but didn't really find the answer I wanted..

I'm running an LCC with the new worms, MMP, 3s, Novak Ballistic 21.5 crawler motor 14t pinion.

I've be running Losi mtrs and made the switch this last week.. Got a chance to run it on the rocks this weekend and have some questions on the timing..

The other brushless mtrs I've had did not have any timing marks. The Novak comes set to 30 degrees.. I noticed with the LCC that it had more speed in reverse than forward.. I moved the timing to where the speed was about the same, or maybe a bit faster forward.. This brings the timing up close to 45 degrees. Running it this weekend the motor got hotter than I would like and seem to go through batteries quicker..

I'd like to get the timing closer to 0 for more torque (and probably less heat) but the wheel speed decreases quite a bit.. I can also use the cheat mode on the MMP, but I'm not sure it will bring back the needed wheelspeed without getting crazy on the advance.

I'm contemplating swapping the tranny around, but that brings in another whole can of worms like mounting the dig servo and battery..

IF... I time the motor closer to 0 how much timing with cheat mode do I need to use (and be safe) and at what RPM range should I kick it in..

Thanks in advance...
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I think you emailed me and we're working towards a solution. Thanks for the email.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
mrG
RCC Addict

I set my cheat to 30* at 16000-18000 rpm and I run 4s. With your 3s I would say try starting at 12000-14000 and see what you think or you could go 4s. It's all personal preference with the cheat I've seen a big variety of settings. I also noticed the forward/reverse thing you mentioned I set my end points on my radio at 115 forward 150 reverse (thats on a dx3r).
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

i have noticed this once while foolin with the esc settings also
try to re sync your transmitter to the ESC
That worked for me
LCC MMP NOVAK 13.5T or 10.5T 12t pinion 0* timing 0 cheet 0heat 3S lipo
i do get a warm feeling motor with 6S lipo like 120*125*
D_Frawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks all.. I did try to recalibrate the transmitter and ESC.. I set the timing back to 30 degrees.. I haven't done anything with the cheat mode yet as I blew out a CVD and I'm waiting for parts..

4s is an option I suppose..
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote