Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What sort of 4WS setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
sim
Quarry Creeper

Default What sort of 4WS setup?

I've got a shafty 2.2 rig (AX-10) that is never going to see any comps. It will be my fun rig. I am not interested in installing a dig. My current radio is a KO EX-5UR but I'll most likely be getting a 2nd radio (Sanwa MT-4 or Futaba 4PL) for my comp rig anyway. I'm planning to set the fun shafty rig up with rear steering and I know I want 4WS as well as crab walking.

Is it better to have the rear steering:
1. on a proportional independent control (say on the lever or dial, or one of the sticks on a stick control).
2. on full left, full right, straight ahead (on a 3-position 3rd channel switch).
3. on mixing modes dependent on the front steer (so 4ws, crab, fws).

I can see a few obvious advantages and disadvantages of each. Option 1 is most versatile, but I can only imagine how difficult it is to wrap your brain (and fingers) around the controls. Option 2 is nice and simple if you only care about having full rear steering lock. You can still have partial front steering and full lock rear. Some radios (KO EX-5UR) has more than 3 positions as well, so that's slightly more versatile. Option 3 is partial or both front steering with the rear following along, so more useful or less useful, depending on situations (I think the Futaba 3PM-X does this).

So what radio do you guys use and what type of 4WS steering do you have set up? What is popular in the Super class comp rigs?
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I have no 2 setup. a traxxas tq3 with the tcs switch mod. I only use the rear steer if in tight corners, or as crab which can be useful. also as its a super its quite heavy, so I use the rear steer when walking to a spot, just flipping the switch to steer dig would be nice, but will happen once I get 4 channel
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I run a 4PL (futaba) radio for my girls dual steer MOA rig, but there are 4 positions to click through.
I have a Punk RC steering computer for controling dual servos as well, I just haven't used it.
Depending on the radio you use, it's pretty nice since you can set each end point from it and the travel. I controls front, mixed and crab functions.
I had plans to use it on a TTC shafty rig but that's on hold for who know's how long.
If you're interested in it, PM me.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote