Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: novak rooster 3s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default novak rooster 3s?

I have the novak rooster crawler edition. I really like it on the 2s. But with a 55t motor In my honcho I really don't have much wheel speed. A few guys I ran with this weekend said it can handle 3s. Which means I would have to run,my castle bec and a 3s lipo cut off. Which is fine. I have the bec just sitting on a box. I would just have to order the lipo cutoff. But I really don't want to try this unless I'm sure it can handle it first. Anyone done this yet. Novak only rates it at 2s and 7 cell
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

my rooster crawler has worked fine for 3 months on 3s. external BEC, and a cut off are used just like you intend. i use the bec in the rooster for the receiver, and the external bec to power the servo's for front & rear steering
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So u are still running the rooster bec ?. I only have one steering servo and a winch on my receiver so I might still be ok with the rooster bec.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

that should be ok. the rooster bec is 6 volt so should be ok for that. i only use an external bec as the rooster might starve the servo's of power
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

there have been many threads started on if a rooster can handle 3s lipo and most of the people who have tried it works fine with the use of a bec and 3s cutoff but there have been a couple unlucky ones tha it hasnt worked for atleast a long period of time. i would still use a cc bec because that will take that much more stress away from the rooster increasing its odds of living long on 3s lipo
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

yeah, I second...I would def use a external lipo cut off...the novac is only 2 s...it looks for somewhere around 6V to shut down...if you wait till your at 6V on a 3S....its done. I'm not talking BEC either, just plain voltage from the battery.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So yah it works. Also found out the 3r winch esc can handle 3s. For how long I don't know. If it dies I will just run a mg645 modded for a winch. I have a 3s lipo cut off ordered. But with my 4000mah pack I don't think I will be hitting often. considering I get 40-50 minutes on my 2000 2s. Going to wire in The bec tonight and a few more resistors for my lights..

thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

My cousin run his rooster on 3S (1300mah) last night with no problems (so far). Thanks for the tips...I will tell him to get a BEC and a LiPo cut off.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have a novak rooster and its not the crawler edition. I put a 3s to it and the motor and esc got wicked hot. this setup is in my team associated tc3 that i use for drifting. I plan on yanking the esc and using it for a crawler because i have a sidewinder I want to put in it. My sidewinder handles 3s no prob and I can actually program it for a 3s even though its only rated for 2s. I would really like to use a 3s in the rooster. is there any difference in the plain rooster and the crawler edition?? if there is not any difference of what they can handle then maybe i will just get a cc bec and lipo cutoff for it. where can you get the lipo cutoffs?? thanks for any answers!!!
slammin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote