Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MMP and external BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
TSK
Shelf queen

Default MMP and external BEC?

I'm gonna be switching to a MMP (NOT 1 CELL)and have read that some servos are pulling too many amps and are crapping out the internal BEC. I am currently on 3s and will probably upgrade to 4s when it arrives.

My question is, should I just run an external BEC if I plan on keeping my JR 9100t at 6V? or do you think the internal BEC will hold up?

Last edited by TSK; 03-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

you are talking about the MMP and not the MMP 1cell, right? Just checking.

I just finished turning the voltage on my MMP 1cell with a CC external BEC (so really i was turning the voltage on the BEC up) up to 7.4V and it was causing havoc so i took it back to 6V and all is good.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
you are talking about the MMP and not the MMP 1cell, right? Just checking.

I just finished turning the voltage on my MMP 1cell with a CC external BEC (so really i was turning the voltage on the BEC up) up to 7.4V and it was causing havoc so i took it back to 6V and all is good.
edited the first post. but I'm talking about the standard MMP and NOT the 1 cell model.

The castle site says the internal BEC will work up to the 6s max, but I've read somewhere that it is only a 3amp internal BEC. High torque servos like the JR 9100t can draw too many amps, and my concern is that I will cook the internal BEC>

So I want to know if anyone else with a similar setup are just running off the internal BEC, or if an extrnal one is recommended.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've never cooked an internal Bec by having a overly powerful servo, just had massive brown out and glitching issues.

If you are concerned about it, just get an external bec anyway. They are cheap insurance.

Edit: Did a bit of searching and found that Yes you will need one. MMP bec is 3amps peak. JR can draw 4+amps at stall.

Bec for you.

Last edited by WIDELOAD; 03-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
mrG
RCC Addict

I run the MMP and you will need an external bec. The internal bec can't handle the amps high torque servos pull like you say. Cut the red wire on the MMP and put a small male plug on the rx side and a female on the other (at least that's how I did it). The reason for the male/female adapters is that when you hook up the esc to the castle link the red wire needs to be attached up. What rig are you putting it in?
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrG View Post
I run the MMP and you will need an external bec. The internal bec can't handle the amps high torque servos pull like you say. Cut the red wire on the MMP and put a small male plug on the rx side and a female on the other (at least that's how I did it). The reason for the male/female adapters is that when you hook up the esc to the castle link the red wire needs to be attached up. What rig are you putting it in?
Planning on putting it in the Pirate. It's heavy and needs a beefy servo. If I'm going to need a external BEC, maybe I'll throw the MMP into another rig and pick up a MMP1C. Simplifies the wiring for the Castle Link... My other truck has a cheapo 200oz servo. That shouldn't tax the internal BEC as much.