Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Smoked my 55T Novak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Smoked my 55T Novak

So, today I went and thrashed the hell out of my Hilux. I made a video, and will upload it tonight. However, my truck started to slow down as if the battery was dieing. I smelt that electrical smell were all so familiar with and found it to be coming from my NOVAK 55 black can motor. I took it off, tore it apart, blew it out with compressed air, clean the magnets and everything else very thoroughly. It now seems to work really really well and is running strong again. My main concern is that I seem to have worn the two magnets that push onto the wound shaft collar(the collar that I see people turn on a lathe I don't know the names). The magnets are less than 1/8" long now and I imagine dirt and grim today wore them out prematurely....as I ran the rig for maybe 2 hours straight in nasty subermsible conditions.

The motor now works kinda intermittingly. I can give it a "push" start and it runs great but sometimes when I stop I have to "push start" it to get it going again. If I press the two magnets on the can together that will also get it going when it won't respond. Anyhow, thanks for reading and what are ya'lls thoughts?
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Those 'Magnets' you speak of are the Brushes and the 'Collar' is the commutator..
You are now in desperate need to have some work done to that motor.

New brushes are the easy bit as you can get them from you LHS, or Team Br00D & Holmes Hobbies sell them through their websites.

You will also need the comm cut which you will have to find someone with a comm lathe to do for you if you dont have one.

A few of the motor guru's might chime in soon with extra info.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

It sounds like all you need is to take it to your lhs and see if they will rebuild it for you. my lhs rebuilds motors for $8 and that includes new brushes and break in and everything. if you read the "cutting a motor comm" thread on here it gives you a TON of info on motors and whats makes them run. You can learn a lot from that read. it has like 45 pages but the first 3-5 pgs tells you a LOT. I ve made it to like page 29 i think. it is an awesome read though. It inspired me to get my own lathe. I just ordered my lathe motor and it should be here next week so I can start cutting my own comms. Well, good luck!!
slammin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
Those 'Magnets' you speak of are the Brushes and the 'Collar' is the commutator..
You are now in desperate need to have some work done to that motor.

New brushes are the easy bit as you can get them from you LHS, or Team Br00D & Holmes Hobbies sell them through their websites.

You will also need the comm cut which you will have to find someone with a comm lathe to do for you if you dont have one.
+1, you have worn out the brushes. They now cock in the brush hoods so they make intermittant contact, thus the oddities in motor operation.
At a minimum, you need new brushes.
Optimum is to get the comm cut, general cleaning/lubing, then run in the new brushes.

Please, do NOT run the motor until you have at least put in new brushes. If you continue, you will likely burn the comm enough so the motor is trash.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
+1, you have worn out the brushes. They now cock in the brush hoods so they make intermittant contact, thus the oddities in motor operation.
At a minimum, you need new brushes.
Optimum is to get the comm cut, general cleaning/lubing, then run in the new brushes.

Please, do NOT run the motor until you have at least put in new brushes. If you continue, you will likely burn the comm enough so the motor is trash.
Sounds good, I'll see if my LH has new brushes and ill solder them suckas on there. I have ordered some motors off rpp tonight a cheapy axial 55t for mudding and trail running and a Tekin FXR 45 for rocks. Hopefully they work out ok.

As for OILING or lubing these brushed motors do you suggest luubing the com?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

1-do NOT lube the comm, it is an electrical connection. Just a drop or 2 on each armature bearing/bushing (one on each end).

2-swapping brushes, it may work if they are the same kind meaning, laydown or standup. The difference is related to which way they sit compared to the armature. Look at them, it's rather obvious. A secondary concern is whether or not they have the same diameter comm.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I've delved deeper into what makes an electric motor do its thing, and i am really impressed with the knowledge on the site and the great writeups!! You guys have helped me more than you know, and I will soon be getting me one of those "stars"

I'm going to order a lathe soon, and stock up on some brushes and I have come to the conclusion when I fry the next motor I put in I'm replacing it with a HOLMES motor. That guy sells full replacements online and its all easy to customize and stock up on parts for his HH brushed motors. Wow. What an interesting hobby...I'm learning soo much. I've had my hilux axial for maybe 2 months now and there isn't much left stock on it but the tranny and the chassis. Brushed motors seem to really appeal to me with how adaptable and customizable they are. However, I'm learning quick that there is no way to safely run them in creek water LOL
Old 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

We're glad you like the info & responces.

I am fairly new here, lots of peeps have been here a lot longer.
Getting a star is one way to support this info.
When I can, I will likely do the same.

Have fun, learn some things, pass on the info.