Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: no servo response while using throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default no servo response while using throttle

mkay guys if your following along with project hack job in the scorpion section then you know Im sorta of a smart newb till electronics comes into play..

My servo goes straight with no response till I let off the throttle then it works fine. I can turn it then throttle and it holds but the servo arm keep trying to return to straight??????

Hitech 645mg servo
stock voltage CC bec
FXR and traxxas 2.4 TQ Rx and Tx

Ive got the pos an neg battery wired to my deans along with the FXR.
I ran the pos an neg servo wires by themselves and the Rx servo wire by its self but wraped it up the the pos and neg servo wires from the bec using this diagram BEC Wiring Diagram...

heres a few crappy pics to maybe help you get the pic of my wireing

It is still in mock up stage as in not neatness but I wired it up the way I thought it was going to stay?????? help
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Nobodys got a clue a hint a anything????? damn now I feel a little better about it
Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Does the light on the BEC go off when it stops happening?

Its hard to see what you have going on in that rats nest of wiring.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Step one.....NEVER mix comm/data wires with power wires, EVER, DON'T do it!!!!!!!!

It appears you have the BEC wires direct to your steering servo?
Then you have the steering servo wire direct to the RX (although wrapped around power wires)?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Step one.....NEVER mix comm/data wires with power wires, EVER, DON'T do it!!!!!!!!

It appears you have the BEC wires direct to your steering servo?
Then you have the steering servo wire direct to the RX (although wrapped around power wires)?
thats right is that a issue??

Yeaahhh I figured that might be a issue but the servo comes with all 3 together so I figured that wouldnt matter to much.

as far as the light I didnt even look honestly. I know its a rats nest but I havent finished runnin the wires just yet Ill neatin every thing up and check all my connections just to make sure
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
thats right is that a issue??

Yeaahhh I figured that might be a issue but the servo comes with all 3 together so I figured that wouldnt matter to much.
The question is for how long are you swamping signal wires with electrical noise. Granted, they all come together @ the RX, but wrapping the signal wire around a power wire for a long distance is just asking for issues.
I try and keep as much seperation as possible for as long as possible. Excess signal wires are coiled up and ty-wrapped out of the way.
I also try & keep the motor wires twisted together to help kill electrical noise. This was more of an issue back in the "FM radio days", but still helps now.

Part of what happens for battery & motor wires is, everytime there is a large load, the wires have a magnetic field around them, these fields "cut through" all other wires which can generate a voltage (this is how a transformer or motor works.......). Since this signal can vary in voltage it can also mess with data in the signal wire. Thus the radio & servo/ESC can be told to do odd things.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ahh got ya. well I got all day to mess with it and hopefully figure it out I also go it on on NCs local forum hoping someone around here can hands on school me.

As stated Im still learning the electrical part of all this and learn by trial and error. Seems to be the best way for me
Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

it's because you're using an analog servo... for an analog servo you have to direct wire the bec to the RX, cant go direct.

at least that's my experience.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
it's because you're using an analog servo... for an analog servo you have to direct wire the bec to the RX, cant go direct.

Little bit better explanation please...that one hurt my head a little
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

from my experience thats not true. my clod super running 2 cheap analog 1/4scale servos were wired to the bec with only the signal wire going to rx for over a year
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Little bit better explanation please...that one hurt my head a little
Wire it normally, how castle suggests, not directly to the servo... not sure how i can explain it any simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
from my experience thats not true. my clod super running 2 cheap analog 1/4scale servos were wired to the bec with only the signal wire going to rx for over a year
i am not saying they all wont work, i am saying every time this has been the symptom, that has been the solution, in my experiences.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Wire it normally, how castle suggests, not directly to the servo... not sure how i can explain it any simpler.

i am not saying they all wont work, i am saying every time this has been the symptom, that has been the solution, in my experiences.

Ill try it that way. or would 6+ volts hurt the Rx itself..just gotta round up some servo pins again.....yeah stupid mistake thanks for the help guys and anyone else who may have a option feel free to chime in at any time..
Old 03-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ill try it that way. or would 6+ volts hurt the Rx itself..just gotta round up some servo pins again.....yeah stupid mistake thanks for the help guys and anyone else who may have a option feel free to chime in at any time..
traxxas doesn't share that info, but i would assume 6v would be safe.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Thats why I direct wired my servo..at 40 bucks a pop I didnt want to risk blowing it also..Ill wire it into the Rx like castle shows an see If it works any better

So far so good on going through the Rx......long lasting Ill have to update to let you know if it blows lol OFF TO THE ROCKS

Last edited by xjcritter; 03-14-2011 at 01:23 PM.