RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Setting Up Dual Fxrs & Qs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/305719-setting-up-dual-fxrs-qs.html)

EEM-CrawlinMachine 03-15-2011 04:25 PM

Setting Up Dual Fxrs & Qs

Just curious how I set my fxrs up settings wise? Also my xrs reverse jolts maybe cause the escs arent setup? And lastly sometimes only the front or rears spin under load until I squeeze the throttle more than 1/4 in.
Thanks

PaloAltoK5 03-15-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEM-CrawlinMachine (Post 2987535)
Just curious how I set my fxrs up settings wise? Also my xrs reverse jolts maybe cause the escs arent setup? And lastly sometimes only the front or rears spin under load until I squeeze the throttle more than 1/4 in.
Thanks

Make sure you set your throttle EPA's to 100 and calibrate each esc separately. i.e. turn one off, then calibrate the other, and then do the opposite on the other one.

As for the jolting, it's possible to get the wires mixed up soldering your motors, and you may need to switch some things around.

As for setup of the esc's themselves, are you using the buttons or a Hotwire to program them?

EEM-CrawlinMachine 03-15-2011 06:44 PM

I wired it all right, not sure what I can change? As far as settings I'm using buttons

SMR 510RR 03-15-2011 08:54 PM

We need more information...

What exactly is you problem?
What radio are you using?
What motors do you have?

Any other specs would be helpful.

EEM-CrawlinMachine 03-15-2011 09:53 PM

Under load sometimes only 2 wheels spin until I go over 1/4 throttle

My reverse is strong but pulses

Integy 55t motors
RC4WD xr4 radio with a wantAsummit mix unit

PaloAltoK5 03-15-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEM-CrawlinMachine (Post 2987813)
I wired it all right, not sure what I can change? As far as settings I'm using buttons

Using the buttons:

Drag Brake: press the mode button once so the 1st LED is lit up, then press the INCR button until the last LED is lit up. This will put you at 100% Drag brake.

Reverse Strength: Press the MODE button twice so the 2nd LED is lit up, then press the INCR button until the last LED is lit up. This will put you at 100% Reverse Strength.

Current Limit: Leave at default

Push Control: Leave at default

Reverse Type: Press the MODE button five times so the 5th LED is lit up, then press the INCR button until the 1st AND 2nd LED is lit up. This will put you in immediate forward/reverse mode.

Low Voltage Cutoff: Press the MODE button six times so the 6th LED is lit up, then press the INCR button until the 2nd LED is lit up for 2s Li-Po or until the 3rd LED is lit for 3s Li-Po.

That's it, you are set up. Do this for each unit.

As for the not moving until 1/4 throttle, still sounds like a calibration issue to me. What pinions are you running on your 55t motors? Are both motors timed the same?

SMR 510RR 03-16-2011 01:17 AM

Yea, recalibrate both esc's. Make sure the mix unit is at neutral when you calibrate.

Also, check the timing on your motors, if they were timed anything other than 0 deg. from the factory then you are running one of them in reverse. If they are both 0 then you should be ok or if both are advanced the same amount you will be good. Take the rotation direction into account when checking them, obviously one should go the opposite direction than the other.

Can you describe the situation where you are having the problem? How bad of a bind are we talking about, does one axle seem stronger in general, are you climbing when it happens?

I have no idea why reverse would be "pulsing"...That doesnt seem ESC related unless its just a calibration issue. Are you running a BEC? Is it wired through the receiver? Does the light on it cut out? Seems more like a radio glitch to me.

EEM-CrawlinMachine 03-16-2011 08:57 AM

It only does 2 wheels on light loads climbing, my reverse worked fine with only 1 fxr on my scaler

How do you time motors? Both motors using 14t pinions
Thanks

SMR 510RR 03-16-2011 11:56 AM

Try this, just check it based on the markings on the can and endbell.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showp...95&postcount=2

You can search for "Timing" in electronics for more info if you need it.

dickwart 03-16-2011 04:32 PM

AS stated recal. the escs, i just unplug one at a time to do this... Not sure about the mixer? yer using...

EEM-CrawlinMachine 03-17-2011 09:19 AM

Thanks guys. Any ideas on the pulsing reverse?

EEM-CrawlinMachine 03-18-2011 10:43 AM

Anyone?

Harley 03-18-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 (Post 2987764)
Make sure you set your throttle EPA's to 100 and calibrate each esc separately. i.e. turn one off, then calibrate the other, and then do the opposite on the other one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickwart (Post 2989560)
AS stated recal. the escs, i just unplug one at a time to do this... Not sure about the mixer? yer using...

It is best to program both ESC's at the same time. I have walked probably HUNDREDS of people through programming their stuff as well as countless of my own. Programming both at the same time is always the best method for dual FXR's.

SMR 510RR 03-18-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 2992956)
It is best to program both ESC's at the same time. I have walked probably HUNDREDS of people through programming their stuff as well as countless of my own. Programming both at the same time is always the best method for dual FXR's.

I agree although it takes some flexibility or someone else to help you at least if you take the on/off switches off.

Harley 03-18-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMR 510RR (Post 2993028)
I agree although it takes some flexibility or someone else to help you at least if you take the on/off switches off.

I just put a rubberband around the throttle 8)

PaloAltoK5 03-18-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 2993030)
I just put a rubberband around the throttle 8)

eh...ok, I am confused then, how do they find neutral and reverse if you rubberband the throttle while calibrating? ;-)

Harley 03-18-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 (Post 2993033)
eh...ok, I am confused then, how do they find neutral and reverse if you rubberband the throttle while calibrating? ;-)

You only need to do it at the begining when you plug that battery in so you don't need another set of hands (on the castle stuff only now that I think about it). FXR's I can push both buttons myself without a problem.

PaloAltoK5 03-18-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 2993048)
You only need to do it at the begining when you plug that battery in so you don't need another set of hands (on the castle stuff only now that I think about it). FXR's I can push both buttons myself without a problem.

Ah, ok....see, now don't be confusing peeps, silly harley! :lmao:

PaloAltoK5 03-18-2011 12:29 PM

One more thing, when calibrating, remember you have to have them wired correctly, or the radio F/R set correct for each channel so it calibrates them both forward when you pull the trigger, and both reverse when you push it. I don't know how many times I have checked peoples setups and after neutral is detected I pulled the trigger and one esc calibrates forward and the other thought I was it reverse and wouldn't calibrate....annoying, but easily solved. Just keep this in mind.

SMR 510RR 03-18-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 2993048)

You are talented if you can push both buttons and plug in the battery at the same time. Took me like 20 minutes to get it haha.