Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Questions on ECS's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #1

Default Questions on ECS's

After reading the stikies, a few threads here and information on the web I'm a little confuse. My questions is.
Can I used a brushed motor in any ESC? Why I ask? according to you guys a brushed motor have more TQ than a brushless, less expensive and can be rebuild very easy. But, I open to hear what brushless users have to said. Been using nitro engines for years now is when i have the curiosity of the electric world.

I'm just trying to put together my electronics set up. I already have a Hitec 7955Ti spare servo from my buggy, in witch to work properly needs good power. Also I was looking at the AE-2 ESC. I'm not trying to expend a lot of money due to my buggy is priority, but a like to have decent equipment for my new Crawler. Thanks!

Last edited by VWVR6_T; 03-19-2011 at 01:14 AM.
VWVR6_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

There are some ESC's that are brushless only, there are some that are brushed only, and there are some that will do both. In a crawler the smoothness of the brushed motors really shines. In lets say an electric buggy you would rarely be spinning the motor as slowly as you are in a crawler so you dont notice the cogging (low speed stutter) as you would when you are trying to make a tough climb.

I try to go with major manufactures when buying stuff like this. Everyone has their own opinion but the top picks on here seem to be Castle Creations, Tekin, Holmes Hobbies, and Novak. Most if not all of them should have an option for you at a similar price point as the AE-2 in fact the AE-2 seems to be based of the Sidewinder from Castle, the Sidewinder V2 comes in at about the same price and will do brushed or sensorless brushless. That may be a good option for you.

Good luck
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #3

A good ECS for this crawlers can be the rooster or the newer Super Rooster. What motor is the must comon in a crawler and I mean specs not brands. Thanks for reply.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you're going to get an esc specifically for a crawler i would steer clear of Novak. They are generally (ok sometimes) good products but are extremely limited in what they can do.

I would go for a Castle, Holmes or Tekin. Then you can run a 3s lipo to get some decent wheel speed and also have heaps of adjustablity to fine tune as you see fit.

As for motors most crawlers use a 35t or higher (eg. 45t, 55t etc) motor. This paired with a 3s lipo gives you nice low end with enough wheel-speed when its needed.
For motors, if you've got the $$$ got for a hand wound Team Br00d or Holmes Hobbies or a Holmes Hobbies Puller
Cheaper alternatives are a machine wound Br00d or Holmes, Tekin, Novak or even integy (sad to say).

Only other thing i can suggest is to do some more reading on the forum. See what others are running and go from there.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Some of your decision is going to be based on what rig you will run. From your sig, I will assume a Venom Creeper?
What you may want in a creeper may be a bit different from what you may want in a MOA.

Also, is this rig for fun or comping?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #6

WIDELOAD,

Thnaks for the info about the esc, I have to do some more research about the other brands, didn't know that Rooster have some limitations. I should find a ESC that can growth as I go with the crawler. About the motor, I was incline in to the 55T after reading some threads, i guess I'm in right direction. Thanks

Last edited by VWVR6_T; 03-19-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Some of your decision is going to be based on what rig you will run. From your sig, I will assume a Venom Creeper?
What you may want in a creeper may be a bit different from what you may want in a MOA.

Also, is this rig for fun or comping?
Yes, it is a Venom Creeper that I found almost new in fleabay for very cheap. I understand what you are saying, been my first rig in this side of the hobby I don't want to go all out and make it full comp. My plan is to get good equipment, doing thinks right that can growth with me and not braking the bank and have some sucsses with it. To the point if I want to get in a competition later on, i can do it with no issues. Hope you understand what I mean. I just want to get some experience and in the future jump in a Berg. Thanks guys keep it coming.

Last edited by VWVR6_T; 03-19-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

No problem, that's why I asked.
Buying something "affordable" now that you have to replace later is sorta foolish. Better to wait a few weeks and get what can grow with you later NOW since it's the better route.

I can fully understand the lack of "free money" now, but it may be better to wait a bit and get what you NEED now & later than buy what you can AFFORD now.

Just trying to help you decide on how to go now and not have you go through angst later.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #9

Thumbs up

After reading here and a few name brands websites recommended by SMR 510RR and Wideload, comparing specs vs quality vs $$, well, I just order a Tekin FX-R with a 55T motor(also Tekin) in a very good price(new). With this been said I just hopping that my Airtronics M8 can handle this thing, can't remember if the M8 support 3 channels, I have to look on that. Thanks for the help
Old 03-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWVR6_T View Post
After reading here and a few name brands websites recommended by SMR 510RR and Wideload, comparing specs vs quality vs $$, well, I just order a Tekin FX-R with a 55T motor(also Tekin) in a very good price(new). With this been said I just hopping that my Airtronics M8 can handle this thing, can't remember if the M8 support 3 channels, I have to look on that. Thanks for the help
The FX-R is a great choice, very popular in the comp scene due to its small footprint. I run two of em in my comp rig so if you do end up stepping up to a MOA in the future it will still be useful in either a Dual ESC setup or Electronic dig like a Punk.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #11

I just finish my order and end up with a Tekin R1 just because i want to try the brush-less uncensored engines. and the R1 I can used any type of engine plus have more tun-ability than the FX R. Any thoughts on my decision?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #12

I'm working between this two motors, what do you think. The good motor have to wait for later, I just want to have some fun right now.
1. Tekin Rock Crawler Brushed Motor 55t

55T Matrix Pro Lathe motor
Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWVR6_T View Post
I'm working between this two motors, what do you think. The good motor have to wait for later, I just want to have some fun right now.
1. Tekin Rock Crawler Brushed Motor 55t

55T Matrix Pro Lathe motor

They are about about the same, as they are both machine wound motors.

Choice is yours really...I've use integy and yes they are cheap and you get what you pay for. Never used Tekin, so i cant comment on them.

Someone else might be able to chime in about the Machine wound tekins.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote