Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Goat Out To Pasture!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #1

Default Goat Out To Pasture!

I thinking about taking my Goat 2S to "a little farm somewhere up-state where it can roam and be free"! Somewhere flat preferably since, the Goat cannot control itself well during downhill transgressions. So, the Goat DOES NOT HAVE "BRAKING", IT HAS BRAKES! The slightest input, fwd and rev., on a hill and it's a freewheelin you're goin' until you ease off and the brake (which is actually what the Goat has - a brake) hits.

I am new but, I would think a fundamental qualification for a "crawler" esc would be to enable a slowed descent. I have a CC bec with the pc-link and it's a pretty impressive piece for a bec. Does the Mamba Max have actual braking or drag brake ability? Will it work with my Novak Ballistic motor (is there an extra wire in the Novak sensor wires)?

Recommendations for any other sensored, brushless esc that will "crawl" down a hill?
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Send it to novak for the firmware update. it is probably an old stock unit.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If you want to go with the Mamba Max you will need to get the Pro version, it will do sensored motors, and if you turn the drag brake up to the 213% crawler brake it will stop on a dime, or at least my Mamba Max does with brushed motors, so i would think the pro version would too, just not sure about with a brushlees motor set up. You will have to use the link to program it for the crawler brake.
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
Is Novak still charging $45.00 to update what should already be in place?

Ditch it and buy a Castle, Tekin or Holmes
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
It is actually a Novak refurb, (from Novak). I bought it within the last 6mos., who knows.

I would like to know what the firmware update covers, is there info at their site?

I will not pay for no stinkin' firmware update, though! Updates are the way a company says, "we stand by our product".
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

It's how the Goat works. Best thing I found to control it is to set the drag at a light setting so it creeps downhill on the drag (about 2-4), for me the worst part of the freewheel thing was once it started you couldn't let out to stop it with a heavy drag without flipping. Another option is to use slight reverse throttle pull to creep downhill, takes a little to get used to, but works more like an adjustable brake that way.

I've never got a clear answer if it's only a Novak thing or if all sensored brushless works like that, all my MMP use has been in a Losi so I can't test the drag. Hoping to borrow a MMP to test in my scaler sometime soon.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Welcome to the wonderful world of over priced electronics. Novak is king in the esc department and even with a "update" there is no drag brake. Just "hold" or freewheeling.

Novak manages to sell stuff like crazy but if you look at any big event the top ten won't have a single product on their rig besides the heat shrink. That stuff is really good as well as their Ballistic motors.

Good luck with your next purchase.. I hear great things about the m2.

*got side tracked.
The MMP has the best brake in the buisness next to Holmes version and will run any ballistic just fine.

Last edited by djjiz; 03-21-2011 at 02:28 PM.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have used the MMPro drag and it works fantastically with a novak sensored motor. Novak confounds me how they stay in the game with inferior products that are 5-10 years out of date and priced above the rest. I guess their kind of like maxamps in that regard.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
It's how the Goat works. Best thing I found to control it is to set the drag at a light setting so it creeps downhill on the drag (about 2-4), for me the worst part of the freewheel thing was once it started you couldn't let out to stop it with a heavy drag without flipping. Another option is to use slight reverse throttle pull to creep downhill, takes a little to get used to, but works more like an adjustable brake that way.

I've never got a clear answer if it's only a Novak thing or if all sensored brushless works like that, all my MMP use has been in a Losi so I can't test the drag. Hoping to borrow a MMP to test in my scaler sometime soon.
I'll try that reverse thing. It isn't very ideal sounding but, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
*got side tracked.
The MMP has the best brake in the buisness next to Holmes version and will run any ballistic just fine.
Thanks, I needed to hear that (one way or the other).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
I have used the MMPro drag and it works fantastically with a novak sensored motor. Novak confounds me how they stay in the game with inferior products that are 5-10 years out of date and priced above the rest. I guess their kind of like maxamps in that regard.
Not to mention their misrepresentation. "Braking" does not imply the singular action that the Goat actually provides; an "on" or "off", brake or no brake. The "-ing" portion in braking implies some degree of continuous action. We should all get together and "class-action" their butts!