Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 7.4 Lipo in a 7.2 crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Default 7.4 Lipo in a 7.2 crawler?

Buddy of mine put a 7.4 5000 lipo in his MaxStone 8 this weekend vs. the 7.2 stock battery. Runs stronger and almost 4 times as long as the stock battery. Is this safe to do? The extra run time and power has me wanting to go the same route, but not if its not safe.

If it is safe, would an even larger lipo be safe? Say a 7000 or higher?

Thanks,
redcar1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You need a LVC for lipo (low voltage cutoff) or you will damage or possible explode your lipo! You can get a ESC with the LVC built-in or a external LVC. also 5000 & 7000 is maH = run time, more Mah more run time.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

Whoa!! Thanks for the heads up! I will let him know asap.

Looks like a new battery and LVC for me

Thanks for the help
Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Easy way to remember it is the volts are your horsepower and the mah is your gas tank. also remeber more mah equals more weight same with your cells.
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #5

Ok so with that said. I am looking at running dual lipos in my SCX10. I was wanting to run dual 2s lipos. Do i run them in tandem and will that make me a 4s? if it will work then will i need a ESC that handles 4s lipos?
67falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boids View Post
Easy way to remember it is the volts are your horsepower and the mah is your gas tank. also remeber more mah equals more weight same with your cells.

Any problems with a 11.1v volt 5250 lipo in my rig?

http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=59
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
On the lookout for Rocks

You need to check to see what the max voltage is on the ESC. If it is rated for 8.4V only, then 11.1V might let some majic smoke out.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
You need to check to see what the max voltage is on the ESC. If it is rated for 8.4V only, then 11.1V might let some majic smoke out.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If its the stock ESC that the maxstone came with,dont do it!...invest in a ESC that can handle 11.1v,it will be one of your best investements...how's the maxstone looking now a days?
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67falcon View Post
Ok so with that said. I am looking at running dual lipos in my SCX10. I was wanting to run dual 2s lipos. Do i run them in tandem and will that make me a 4s? if it will work then will i need a ESC that handles 4s lipos?
"In tandem" isn't really an accurate wording in this case, as it doesn't really denote hooking them up in series or parallel. If you parallel them (batt A&B pos to ESC+, batt A&B neg to ESC-), then you'll still be at 2S but you'd add up the mAh, and have nice, long runtimes. Considering the low voltage of this setup, I'd be very surprised if a stock truck had a problem running like this.

To run series, (batt A pos to ESC+, batt A neg to batt B pos, batt B neg to ESC-) you'd then be at 4S, not adding together the mAh. Lots of voltage, good ground speed, so-so runtimes. Better make absolutely certain the ESC you're going to use is rated for 4S, or your shake-n-bake will turn into sizzle-n-smoke in a hurry.

In parallel, both batteries need to be identical in every rating.
In series, you can mix voltages, but everthing else must match exactly. (mAh, C rating) And it would be very wise to make sure if you're mixing batteries, they come from the same mfr, so the ratings are tested the same and should be a known match. This is one area where mix-n-match makes for very bad karma.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

never did it with lipo, but with nicd and nimh you could mix 2 packs with different voltages since all you are doing is using wires to connect some of the cells instead of battery bars. so with lipo i dont see why you couldnt do a 2s and a 3s together since its wire beween 2 cells instead of being soldered directly together
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote