Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: tq3, kinda confused?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default tq3, kinda confused?

so I read through the sticky and searched but couldn't find the old thread where it showed how to just put a switch into it, the whole "gray wire, black wire, and white wire.....?"
so the question about the new wire diagram for modding the tq3 to a 3 position switch is about the pots, do you need them or is just makes it easier? because the really old thread I remember seeing showed how to put the radio shack switch in but only the switch, there was no pots(thats what they're called right?) could someone clarify all of this and maybe a updated diagram of how to do it so I'm not some how trying it with a out-of-date diagram?
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Ignore the 470 ohm resistors, its for another radio. But same in concept.

losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Keep same order of wires, center to center, outers to outers
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

dude, your really smart and all, but... I'm not.... I don't know what I'm looking at lol
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
dude, your really smart and all, but... I'm not.... I don't know what I'm looking at lol
that big blue thing is a 3 position switch without the lever on it

The zigzag things are resistors, 1/2 watt, 1/4 watt, 1/8 watt none of it matters, as long as you have the right ohms, which you will need (2) 2.2k Ohm resistors.

the blue lines is your wires
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
RCC Addict

just when you take out your original switch.write down(sketch) out which wire went where and when you put in 3 position switch just solder wires back in same spots.top,middle,bottom wires. it isnt hard at all.YOU CAN DO IT.......
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

alright got the switch figured but what about the pots? the things that control end points? I saw the diagram so I know how to attach them but are they necessary? because the old thread I talked about never showed any of them added, he just added the switch
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
alright got the switch figured but what about the pots? the things that control end points? I saw the diagram so I know how to attach them but are they necessary? because the old thread I talked about never showed any of them added, he just added the switch
pots?in how to make a winch servo?just gotta adjust it until servo stops moving and then glue it in place.no pot in tx,transmitter(as far as I know),radio, to worry about.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
did you see any pots on that picture i posted...because i didn't. So i would assume your safe without epa pots

Just make sure and put 2k2 resistors between the poles like i have drawn, their $0.20 each at radio shack, a switch is like $5. Make sure and get a small one.

If you don't have a radio shack that sales resistors and switches i have a bunch, i can send you some .
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You'll only need the potentiometers if your trying to run a dig, if it's just for rear steer then you don't need em.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukwylde View Post
You'll only need the potentiometers if your trying to run a dig, if it's just for rear steer then you don't need em.
A mecahnical dig Not needed for punk dig (or other electronic dig heyok/punkrc/etc.).

Figured i should point that out

Now if you want to get real fancy, or extremely confused. i can post up diagrams to give you trim, epa, mixing, proportional mixing, 4ws mixing, dual/variable rates, etc.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #12
RCC Addict

alright the diagram with the pots I was talking about is on post# 19 here My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

so what is that set up for? I'm looking for the set up that allows me to use a servo winch?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
Got Worms?

Quote:
alright the diagram with the pots I was talking about is on post# 19 here My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

so what is that set up for? I'm looking for the set up that allows me to use a servo winch?
yea i knew exactly what you were talking about, and the picture i posted up will do exactly what you want.

The picture you have linked (#19) has epa's. you don't need epa's for a winch.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #14
RCC Addict

ah alright that is awesome, also while looking at it, I'm a little confused with the crystals on the receiver and controller, on the receiver, there is a arrow pointing towards the crystal and says x tal? well the crystal in the controller says tx? so are the crystals been misplaced? should I put the tx crystal in the receiver instead?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
Got Worms?

Quote:
ah alright that is awesome, also while looking at it, I'm a little confused with the crystals on the receiver and controller, on the receiver, there is a arrow pointing towards the crystal and says x tal? well the crystal in the controller says tx? so are the crystals been misplaced? should I put the tx crystal in the receiver instead?
No its fine, run it Its a $10 radio, don't expect too much from it.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

ok lets chat .
Your Steering knob Is actually a 5 thousand ohm resistor. with two springs holding it close to the middle for 2500 ohm to steer left and same for right. You can put a 5K pot in place of switch and have variable adjust channel 3 OR put ANY value combination that adds to 2500 ohms on each side of the switch according to the amount of servo throw you want to be automatic and how much you want to adjust the endpoints

SAY you want 20% of total throw end point adjustment and 80% movement with the switch. 4000 OHM is 80% and 1000 OHM is 20% of 5K half that for each side of the switch 500 OHM pot and 2K resistor
IF you used 1500 OHM pots and 1K resistors you would have LESS initial movement with the switch but more end point adjustment.
DOES THIS CLOUDY up your water?
D_Frawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Frawg View Post
ok lets chat .
Your Steering knob Is actually a 5 thousand ohm resistor. with two springs holding it close to the middle for 2500 ohm to steer left and same for right. You can put a 5K pot in place of switch and have variable adjust channel 3 OR put ANY value combination that adds to 2500 ohms on each side of the switch according to the amount of servo throw you want to be automatic and how much you want to adjust the endpoints

SAY you want 20% of total throw end point adjustment and 80% movement with the switch. 4000 OHM is 80% and 1000 OHM is 20% of 5K half that for each side of the switch 500 OHM pot and 2K resistor
IF you used 1500 OHM pots and 1K resistors you would have LESS initial movement with the switch but more end point adjustment.
DOES THIS CLOUDY up your water?
Position isn't based off resistance, but off voltage. Resistors are used to vary voltage, whether if its 5k pot or 100k pot it will work the same.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
A mecahnical dig Not needed for punk dig (or other electronic dig heyok/punkrc/etc.).

Figured i should point that out

Now if you want to get real fancy, or extremely confused. i can post up diagrams to give you trim, epa, mixing, proportional mixing, 4ws mixing, dual/variable rates, etc.
Sorry I should have been more specific, But while I have your attention Losikidd I've seen some of your mods and they are SICK! You do some truly amazing stuff, just wanted to drop some props where there do!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote