Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder V2 throttle fading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Sidewinder V2 throttle fading

I just got a new Sidewinder V2 for my scale truck and installed it yesterday.. It's my 2nd one so I'm somewhat familiar with them. I have the castle link and set it up how I wanted it and got it all wired up..

I'm running Spektrum DX3.0 radio with it and a 3s lipo. Motor is an Integy 45T that was in the truck prior. Old esc was a Traxxas XL-5 and everything worked fine.

Now with the Sidewinder, I'll be driving along at a constant speed and the throttle will start to fade and the truck will stop, I have to squeeze more and more trigger to keep it moving.. Then I can let go to neutral, and start squeezing again and the throttle is crisp right at beginning and starts crawling again.. And soon after it starts to fade again. I have messed with the deadband and that doesn't seem to affect this so I'm stumped. I've tried rebinding and recalibrating esc and it's still the same thing..
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like a tired or dead battery. What are you running? Do you have the lipo cutoff turned on?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I've tried two fresh 3s batteries.. A Venom 5000mah 20c and a Thunder Power 2250mah 45c. LVC is set at 9v.

I was just doing some reading.. I'm not using an external bec, and I read that the Sidewinder has issues running 3s like this and maybe could be causing the power fading? I'm only running a Traxxas 2075 servo.. I thought I'd be all set.

If I'd known this I would've bought one of your escs John.. But I didn't want to spend the extra $30.. Now I might need to anyway to get a bec. Hah

Last edited by Jus; 03-25-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Have you checked the motor? Could be worn brushes or comm.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #5

Any heat in the components? Sidewinder getting hot? All signs point to the ESC so far.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I already swapped out the motor to rule that out and it reacted the same with the 35T I put in.

Hard to tell with the heat issue. It was about 20-30 degrees this morning without the wind.

I have the esc mounted vertically inside a hitec servo plastic box. It felt slightly warm to the touch on the outside after running for a half hour. I can crack the box open after the next run and get a more accurate answer on heat.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Cold temps can slow down the batteries activity and shorten run time also.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Im running a DX3.0 also. I cannot seem to get my XR to run at full life. Im using the SV2 also. What is your wiring setup? I have it all set up to the best of my knowledge and I have power to the Steering servo. (Not alot at all) I need help becuase I've tried everything I know how.
Dillpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Any heat in the components? Sidewinder getting hot? All signs point to the ESC so far.
+1.

What does the rig do when it's run inside your house, same issue? Trying to see if it's the cold affecting the battery.

Do the other lights dim on the rig when you have the speed issue?

Since the rig worked with the other ESC, I guess we can rule out binding in the trans & axles.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

So I'm still fighting with this thing..

I installed a CC Bec yesterday to see if it'd help and I figure I needed one anyway.. Didn't take care of the problem..

Cold doesn't seem to effect anything.. Same batteries work perfectly in my FX-R equipped truck in the same weather..

I just had my truck upside down on the bench in the other room and I'd trim up the throttle so it just sits there freewheeling and after maybe 30 seconds it'd slow way down.. If you blip the throttle it responds quickly but then dies down again. The last time I ran it I got a temp of 140 degrees F at the heatsink after running outside for 5 minutes. ESC isn't getting hot now which I think the BEC is responsible for that. Servos are getting full power and working properly. (steering and winch).
Everything IS wired up correctly I've double checked.. Even tried swapping out the motor wires.

I hope I don't have to send the damn esc back such a hassle...

Oh and thought I should mention the lights on the esc are responding completely normal so it's getting a proper signal the whole time.

Last edited by Jus; 03-27-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I'm waiting to hear back from Castle on if I should go ahead and send the ESC back... I hope they're not so busy because all the new Sidewinders are junk.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #12

a friend and i have had the same problems out of the same esc!!!
rogerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

all the mamba xl were junk now they have a v2 version. sounds like a muliplexing issue
CPT.HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i have to send my sv2 and sct castle controllers back beacause of similar issues sounds like the stuff is junk.
bikerj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #15

I wouldn't call it junk. Most likely there is a component that is not doing it's job, a failure that Castle cant control or detect until they are built and in use.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT.HOOK View Post
all the mamba xl were junk now they have a v2 version. sounds like a muliplexing issue
Actually they are on V5. The V2's had some issues as well.

Like JRH said, these are issues out of control of castle until they see them in action more. The one thing that can be guaranteed is that Castle will find the issues and make it right.

I had one of the first MMM's to come out and had issues within 5 minutes, Castle took very good care of me which is why I am still a customer today.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #17
Jus
I wanna be Dave

UPDATE:

Well I sent my Sidewinder back a couple weeks ago and recieved a brand new one yesterday and got it all hooked up.

It does the exact same thing the other one did. : shock: WTF

I'm so frustrated I could scream.

While I was waiting for the replacement sidewinder to arrive I was running a Traxxas VXL-3s without ANY issue what so ever.. It worked perfectly..

Are you Effin' kidding me? Two esc's in a row defective? How can I be this unlucky? Something else must be to blame.. But where the hell do I begin? I tried different motors again.. Which might I remind you worked great with the Traxxas speedo. I even just swapped the RX for an identical Spektrum SR3000 and made sure it was binded correctly.. Still does it...

*Sigh*

Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Update the firmware.
bcaz808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I just got mine today and I hooked it up to the castlelink to program it for a brushed motor for crawling. So far it's working fine.

Remember that these come set up for brushless right out of the box.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #20
Jus
I wanna be Dave

O.K. Now I'm calling the SV2 Sidewinder junk.

Just recieved a 3rd brand new sidewinder and hooked it up and it's doing the exact same thing I described earlier in this thread.

Everything is wired up correctly. I've double and triple checked.. Changed our RX's and motors and batteries. Still doing it.

I even put it in an entirely different vehicle with a whole seperate radio, a DX2.0 and it acts the same.

I called Castle *again* today to discuss this and the guy says there's no way that 3 Sidewinders could be defective like this in a row.. Well what the hell am I doing wrong then?

Unplug Sidewinder, plug in Traxxas VXL ESC and truck is completely normal. How the hell is it NOT the Sidwinder??? Using the same Lipo batteries that are pretty new and work fantastic in my FXR equipped truck and the original Sidewinder equipped crawler.

I'm getting very frustrated.

I'm experienced with the Castle Link and yes it's setup correctly. I've owned a trouble free original Sidewinder for years as well as a bunch of CC BECs.

I guess I'm going to have to get a refund and start over with something else.. But I'd sure like to know what's going on...