Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: venom fireball?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question venom fireball?

Hey guys, just wanted to see if i could some input on venom fireball motors.. I run in a lot of mud and water and I'm looking for sum higher wheel speeds and something rebuildable.. Was thinking of possibly throwin a 19T double motor http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUJ1&P=7 in my scx10 and just had a few questions... Are they rebuildable? Will it run with a xl-5? And are they crap? haha.... I know they are a fairly cheap motor, and I've read some pretty nasty things, but did they ever get their act together and put out a decent product, or am i heading in a bad direction? Thanks for any input!
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to see if i could some input on venom fireball motors.. I run in a lot of mud and water and I'm looking for sum higher wheel speeds and something rebuildable.. Was thinking of possibly throwin a 19T double motor http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUJ1&P=7 in my scx10 and just had a few questions... Are they rebuildable? Will it run with a xl-5? And are they crap? haha.... I know they are a fairly cheap motor, and I've read some pretty nasty things, but did they ever get their act together and put out a decent product, or am i heading in a bad direction? Thanks for any input!

I had a 15t double on an XL5 in my sons stampede running 7cell pack and that only lasted 3-4 runs and now the motor is junk and Venom wont return my emails.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I can only speak on the crawler versions....never messed with the lower wind stuff, looks to be a different motor.

The can and magnets are solid, so is the endbell......its the armature and brush hoods that aren't so great. The Brush hoods are fairly weird, as they are a cast metal and it doesn't look like quality control isn't high on the list. The armature's main flaw is a really cheesy comm setup. It seems to be fairly crappy materials used in its construction.

I've rebuilt a few, replacing the armature with a handwound unit and they became pretty solid motors. I replaced the endbell hardware on one set and they got even better.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default fire ball

well if it was me i would pick up a couple trinity greenmachine 2 or some monster horsepower 2 i had a few of these in my ax10 with a bit of regular care an mantince should last for awhile.that an the xl5 should have no problems with either one.
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah they are rebuildable.
XL5 will run down to a 15t motor, so a 19t wont sweat it.
Yes they are crap (not totally but enough not to buy one)

They use a cast alloy brush hood that is majorly out of alignment. I spent about an hour trying to get centre the brushes before i gave up and just replaced the brush hoods.
Plus all of the current is carried by the brush shunt because the hoods are insulated (WHY?!?!) so the motor runs pretty warm.

In the end I ended up replacing the brush hoods, brushes and cutting the comm.
But amazingly the arm wasnt that bad and the comm was actually round.

But as EddieO said as well the can/endbell (minus hoods) are OK

Unless you like to fiddle with motors you're better off getting something different.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
Ads
Pebble Pounder

You answered your own question in the title. I am running their sensored brushless crawler motor at the moment in a Losi, and so far so good.

Last edited by Ads; 03-28-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #7

Default Junk ?

Ive personally had a few of these motors as i have not modified them like the others whom replied.. IMO they are junk. Here in Oregon they are $22 new and you get exactly what you pay for ( to be blunt) i had one in a drifter and smoked on me on the second pack, Had 2 others in SCX10 with stock gearing and 4500mah orion NIMH pack they lasted about 3 packs.. take the info with a grain of salt ( this is just my dealings with them )
2slicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Proverbial threadkiller

I gotta give Venom some props.

I use mine in what is essentially a rig that uses a propeller from a Kyosho electric plane as my "load". I use this getup for dischrging/cycling my batteries.

My Integy 60 turn lathe motor held up for a while, but I wanted more amp draw. The spare 540's I had laying around (Motorman Tornado, Speedworks Pole Position), were drawing WAY too much, and wrecking cells. So I tried a Venom Fireball 55 turn. First pack was a 5 cell, worked fine, second pack was a 6 cell, and the motor burned up.

I fully expected the nightmare of either no C.S. response at all, or the old 'send it in, and we'll tell you that you used it improperly', but such was not the case.

Got one email that looked to be an order form, then another saying they were out of stock, and I'd get one when they got more in. Got it this past week, gratis-free-didn't even hafta pay shipping. I emailed thanking them and asked for tips how to break it in. I got an email telling me to run it 1/2 throttle for the first pack, then let 'er have it, installing caps shouldn't be necessary. Seems to be working pretty good so far.

So for me, it was a hassle free return. They done right by me, so I gots ta leave 'em some decent feedback.

Still, though, if this one burns up 'early', I think instead of trying another return, I may just pony up some coin and go with something else.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

There are better ways to discharge/cycle your batteries......cheap automotive lightbulbs have been used for decades....no noise....just make sure to monitor the cutoff and not discharge them too much....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
There are better ways to discharge/cycle your batteries......cheap automotive lightbulbs have been used for decades....no noise....just make sure to monitor the cutoff and not discharge them too much....

Later EddieO
I still have my Tekin discharger, I use it on my NiCads/NiMH's from my non-crawler rigs/cars/buggies. It's likely older than 75% of those on this forum.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote