Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: i know its been posted b4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default i know its been posted b4

i cant find excactly what im looking for by searching threads, so heres my question. i wanna waterproof my sidewinder sport, now i have it in the stock electronics box siliconed up tight and its perfect i have submerged it serveral times without failure, what i wanna do is waterproof it with liquid elect. tape or plasti-dip so i can hide it better and in a smaller place. how do i do this or is it even possible ive found bits and pieces of threads about doing it but they're never very clear, should i just submerge the whole thing minus the wires. or should i take it apart and brush on the tape? please help me guys. and yes next time i will get a torguemaster or some other kind of good WP esc and with interal bec.
another ? is can i submerge my cc bec in the liquid tape also....thanks in advance gentlemen
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Did you even try looking at the stickie at the top of this forum?????
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

yes i did. i said i searched and nothing ever really explained in detail how to waterproof a sidewinder with liquid tape, i'm not a noobie i searched and read several threads b4 posting this i need someone who's done it b4 so i'll know if its gonna overheat or will it work, you must've not read my post or you'd seen that i said i did search, all that sticky talks about is grease,and plasti-dip. not alot about doing it to a esc i dont wanna put it in a balloon i have it sealed tight now but it takes up too much room
Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Didnt look hard enough.
3rd page of this sub forum.
How to waterproof your AE2 ESC, AR2 Receiver and LED light board.

Its not a sidewinder but the same method applies
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
Didnt look hard enough.
3rd page of this sub forum.
How to waterproof your AE2 ESC, AR2 Receiver and LED light board.

Its not a sidewinder but the same method applies
i guess you're right i didnt search all the sub-forums..thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i just did a hobbying like that, got my liquid tape at walmart. works really great. just be sure to do it outside or a well vented area, that stuff really has a bad smell and odor to it. once done i let it set in front of fan for a faster dry time, then went back over it again gently and it was it.
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Yeah I have some liquid tape and yes it does smell. I kinda like it, I also used to sniff glue when I was a tho lol JK. Cool let me ask u have u took it in water yet and submerged it I wanna do it but I feel like I'll be chicken sh%t to get it soaked where I have it now in the stock electronics box and I have it siliconed like crazy I know nothing gettin by but for some reason it's hard for me to trust that liquid tape or maybe me doing it. I'm thinking instead of brushing it on just dunkin it in a small cup full of the tape... Thanks for ur response man and let me know if u have tried hrs out yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #8

If I had to do another one, this time around id try getting plenty of the liquid tape and pour it in a disposable bowl. Then id thin it to something slightly thicker than water with some paint thinner. I want it very thin so it will flow into all the little crevasses on the board. I'd either be careful to dip it and not cover the heatsink or just dip it all and then remove it from the heatsink with a razorblade afterwards. I'd dip it a few times and then see how it looked making sure I saw no pinholes in it. I think this would likely work well, perhaps even better than my original method. But I've yet to try it out.
noremacyug is offline   Reply With Quote